Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

A LESSON TO MY SON
    by Irma S. Chambers

The other day, my nine year old son wanted to know why we were at war. My husband looked at our son and then looked at me. My husband and I were in the Army during the Gulf War and we would be honored to serve and defend our country again today. I knew that my husband would give him a good explanation.

My husband thought for a few minutes and then told my son to go stand in our front living room window. He told him:

"Son, stand there and tell me what you see?"

"I see trees and cars and our neighbors houses." he replied.

"OK, now I want you to pretend that our house and our yard is the United States of America and you are President Bush."

Our son giggled and said "OK."

"Now son, I want you to look out the window and pretend that every house and yard on this block is a different country." my husband said.

"OK Dad, I'm pretending."

"Now I want you to stand there and look out the window and see that man come out of his house with his wife and he has her by the hair and is hitting her. You see her bleeding and crying. He hits her in the face, he throws her on the ground, then he starts to kick her to death. Their children run out and are afraid to stop him, they are crying, they are watching this but do nothing because they are kids and afraid of their father. You see all of this son....what do you do?"

"Dad?"

"What do you do son?!"

"I call the police, Dad."

"OK. Pretend that the police are the United Nations and they take your call, listen to what you know and saw but they refuse to help. What do you do then son?!"

"Dad, but the police are supposed to help!" My son starts to whine.

"They don't want to son, because they say that it is not their place or your place to get involved and that you should stay out of it," my husband says.

"But Dad...he killed her!!" my son exclaims.

"I know he did...but the police tell you to stay out of it. Now I want you to look out that window and pretend you see our neighbor who you're pretending is Saddam turn around and do the same thing to his children."

"Daddy...he kills them?"

"Yes son, he does. What do you do?"

"Well, if the police don't want to help, I will go and ask my next door neighbor to help me stop him." our son says.

"Son, our next door neighbor sees what is happening and refuses to get involved as well. He refuses to open the door and help you stop him," my husband says.

"But Dad, I NEED help!!! I can't stop him by myself!!"

"WHAT DO YOU DO SON?"

Our son starts to cry.

"OK, no one wants to help you, the man across the street saw you ask for help and saw that no one would help you stop him. He stands taller and puffs out his chest. Guess what he does next son?"

"What Daddy?"

"He walks across the street to the old ladies house and breaks down her door and drags her out, steals all her stuff and sets her house on fire and then...he kills her. He turns around and sees you standing in the window and laughs at you. WHAT DO YOU DO?!!!"

"Daddy..."

"WHAT DO YOU DO?!!!"

Our son is crying and he looks down and he whispers, "I close the blinds, Daddy."

My husband looks at our son with tears in his eyes and asks him... "Why?"

"Because Daddy.....the police are supposed to help...people who needs it....and they won't help....You always say that neighbors are supposed to HELP neighbors, but they won't help either...they won't help me stop him...I'm afraid....I can't do it by myself...Daddy.....I can't look out my window and just watch him do all these terrible things and...and.....do nothing...so....I'm just going to close the blinds....so I can't see what he's doing........and I'm going to pretend that it is not happening."

I start to cry.

My husband looks at our nine year old son standing in the window, looking pitiful and ashamed at his answers to my husbands questions and he tells him...."Son"

"Yes, Daddy."

"Open the blinds because that man....he's at your front door..."WHAT DO YOU DO?!!!!"

My son looks at his father, anger and defiance in his eyes. He balls up this tiny fists and looks his father square in the eyes, without hesitation he says: "I DEFEND MY FAMILY DAD!! I'M NOT GONNA LET HIM HURT MOMMY OR MY SISTER, DAD!!! I'M GONNA FIGHT HIM, DAD, I'M GONNA FIGHT HIM!!!!!"

I see a tear roll down my husband's cheek and he grabs my son to his chest and hugs him tight, and cries..."It's too late to fight him, he's too strong and he's already at YOUR front door son.....you should have stopped him BEFORE he killed his wife. You have to do what's right, even if you have to do it alone, before......it's too late." my husband whispers.

THAT scenario I just gave you is WHY we are at war with Iraq. When good men stand by and let evil happen is the greatest EVIL of all. Our President is doing what is right. We, as a free nation, must understand that this war is a war of humanity. WE must remove this evil man from power so that we can continue to live in a free world where we are not afraid to look out our window and see crimes on humanity. So that my nine year old son won't grow up in a world where he feels that if he just "closes" that blinds the atrocities in the world won't affect him. Today the second day of "WAR on IRAQ" I felt compelled to write this and pass it along. Hopefully, you will understand the lesson my husband tried to teach our son.

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!" BE PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN! BE PROUD OF OUR PRESIDENT! BE PROUD OF OUR TROOPS!! SUPPORT THEM!!! SUPPORT AMERICA!! SO THAT IN THE FUTURE OUR CHILDREN WILL NEVER HAVE TO CLOSE THEIR BLINDS...."

It pays to be prepared and informed. Knowledge is power!

OK then ...

Why aren't we in the Sudan right now ?

Why aren't we in North Korea right now ?

Why aren't we in Iran right now ?

Why aren't we in the Palestinian territories right now ?

Attrocities worse than anything Saddam ever inflicted are going on in these places right now. If this is a moral war ONLY, why are not fighting in ALL of these places ???

In Afghanistan and Iraq we have killed something like 15,000 to 20,000 innocent civilians ???

Is that a war crime ???

Let's pretend another story...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You live in a country and have always lived there. Things just are the way that they are. And one day a foreign power shows up and drops bombs on the government for weeks upon weeks and in the process THOUSANDS of innocent civilians are killed and maimed (many more than died on September 11, 2001). This foreign power tells you that they are your friends and are here to save you and to free you. But all you know is that you don't have any electricity, or water, and 11 of your relatives have been killed.

Do you ever believe or forgive that country? Well, do you ?

If that exact same thing happened right here today in America, would you welcome those forces as greeters and turn a blind eye to all of the innocent casualties (you mother, or maybe father, or maybe your son, or your best friend) ???

I think Saddam Hussein will rot in hell for all eternity.

But I do not think it is as black and white as it may appear to be ... that George Bush is the almighty good force in this battle.

And I also think terrorizing your children with a metaphor using images of brutality from their immediate surroudings might not be the best way to approach a lesson about war.

The child might suffer from PTSD for God's sake.

All strictly my opinion.

tnt

Re: OK then ...

Originally posted by top-notch-tek

Attrocities worse than anything Saddam ever inflicted are going on in these places right now. If this is a moral war ONLY, why are not fighting in ALL of these places ???

Tell me, What atrocities are worse than what saddam has done??????????

And if we were in sudan or iran or north korea, you would be asking why we weren't in iraq. huh?

My intent ...

is not to say that we shouldn't be in Iraq...

But to challenge the notion raised by this thread starter that this war is somehow solely a moral war...

If our only reason for going to war is moral, then by all rights we should be in several other places on earth right now fighting for the same reasons.

infwsdm - what about the other questions I asked??? How would you feel if what was happening there was happening here???

PS - Saddam has killed something like 600,000 in 30 years of ruling Iraq. That's about 20,000 a year on average. Since we started the War on terror we have killed approximately 15 - 20,000 innocent civilians in just over a year. I know it is convenient as an American from the sidelines to say that those are unfortunate. But to the people of Iraq (muslims at that) those casualties are reasons for blood vendettas to last for 10 generations. We are creating the very enemies that we intend to destroy in whole new generations of young Iraqis.

In Rwanda over 1 million people were systemically killed in a mass genocide while the US did nothing... The same things are going on in the Sudan and have been, but we are not there fighting...

[Edited by top-notch-tek on 08-23-2004 at 09:08 PM]

Re: My intent ...

infwsdm - what about the other questions I asked??? How would you feel if what was happening there was happening here???

Not a valid question because it would never happen here.

Re: My intent ...

We are creating the very enemies that we intend to destroy in whole new generations of young Iraqis.

Not true.

9/11 was a big recruitment day for terrorists. They jumped on that bandwagon. Did you see all the freaks cheering that 3000 innocent people were killed?

PS - Saddam has killed something like 600,000 in 30 years of ruling Iraq. That's about 20,000 a year on average. Since we started the War on terror we have killed approximately 15 - 20,000 innocent civilians in just over a year. I know it is convenient as an American from the sidelines to say that those are unfortunate. But to the people of Iraq (muslims at that) those casualties are reasons for blood vendettas to last for 10 generations. We are creating the very enemies that we intend to destroy in whole new generations of young Iraqis. [Posted by top-notch-tek]

================================================== =========

I can believe we've killed 15-20,000 but I doubt seriously they were "innocent civilians". Seems the Iraqis dying now are being killed by insurgents and radical Iraqis. They're even lofting bombs into the prison camps, killing more prisoners than captors.

Yeah, that's one bunch we'll not miss when they're gone.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Well, if you can't play along ...

Let's assume that all human beings have a problem with their friends and family being blown up...

IF ... IF ... IF ... IF ...

If one day bombs started dropping in your neck of the woods and blew up your child's house...

IF that happened...

Would you be predisposed to forgiving the person dropping the bombs???

Could they do enough to convince you of their GOOD intentions???

It's a simply question...

Even though one might not LIKE the answer...

For most the answer is NO, I would hate those F---ERS until they day I died and I would kill 'em with my bare hands if I could to this day...

Then throw Allah into the mix and you got a big pot of hatrid being stirred up !!!

After September 11th happened, the President should have looked the American people in the face and said "Never Again"...

And spent every cent that he has spent on these wars, instead to secure our borders, our planes, our trains, our schools, reinforce our police, our water plants, our nuclear power plants, etc...

When our security was breached by terrorists...

We should not have started a War - ON - Terrorism.

We should have started a War - FOR - Security.

*** Terrorism is a TACTIC not an ENEMY. How do we win a war against a tactic??? ***

Where is the clear and defined goal there? Blow up enough muslims that everybody will be too afraid to engage in terrorism??? Wake up. These people aren't afraid of us, they aren't afraid of death, even when we deliver it to them.

Now that being said, we ARE in a WAR, and I support the effort. (I am NO bleeding heart liberal).

However, I think the reasons for us being there should not be stated as a moral obligation to all of humanity. I think it should be stated as we are gonna get them before they get us.

I simply don't agree with the original poster's ideas about why we are there.

You wanna know what I think, I think we should be throwing bombs at this enemy, not bodies. I think we should nuke every country in the axis of evil. Because it's right - NO, because its moral - NO, because we are crusaders for what is good - NO... but because they have made it US or THEM... and by God, I'll choose my ass over there's anytime.

At least I can be honest.

[Edited by top-notch-tek on 08-23-2004 at 11:38 PM]

Ok!! top-notch-tek well let's assume for a second that in one of those houses is a man who breaks into other houses on the street, can you trust him not to break into yours eventually?

I believe the metaphor is correct but missing one critical part, Saddam was that guy who broke into others houses, and also made and sold crack I heard.

For Pete's Sake...

No one seems to be getting what I am saying.

So let me clarify, and then tell me where I am wrong, OK?

This is what I believe:

1. We are there fighting this war to do battle with our enemies on their home court instead of here, and to kill them before they kill us. (Not out of some moral obligation to the tortured and oppressed Iraqi citizens, if that was so, why did we wait 30 years to become so moral???)

2. Saddam was and is a scumbag.

3. We are fighting a war in which we are taking needless casualties (Why are our young men and women standing over there on street corners like traffic patrol being blown up on an almost daily basis??? We train them to kill and defend, not to conduct traffic and be blown up???)

4. Why are we throwing bodies at a problem that we should be throwing bombs at??? (We started this Iraqi War, why don't we just finish it by killing every last one of them??? If American lives are so valuable, why are we taking casualties to fight this war in a polite fashion???)

I'm not a bleeding heart liberal, simply because I don't agree with someone else's rationale for why we are there... When someone asks me how I feel about it, my usual answer is "We should bring them all the death, that they so cherish, so that we may get on with the living..."

Does that sound candy-ass to you?

50 years ago we dropped the nuclear bomb to end the war and killed the largest number of innocent civilians ever at one time in the history of the planet ... What does that say for our moral compass ???

I don't have delusion of moral grandness... I simply think we should give 'em all the old 1,2 and be done with it.

[Edited by top-notch-tek on 08-23-2004 at 11:54 PM]

ok ok I'll play.

Lets just say that on 9/11 those bombs came a dropping in OUR backyard.

Do I want blood? Hell yeah.

As far as the forgiving thing. forgivness is for self not another. So that's a different issue. But let it be known that they won't be getting any hugs from me!

However, Our backyard is not oppressed so all things are not equal.

Allah-- we are dealing with a bunch of brainwashed, can't think for themselves, flintstone living mother F@##ers.

The war is on terrorists that use the tactic of terrorism. how you fight it is disrupt the breeding ground.

Iraq is a long term deal. The results won't be in for 20+ years (my opinion). These people were spoon fed bull**** all their lives. The majority of the people who hate us don't even know why they hate us. They were taught to hate us.

Iraq is only part of the 'war on terrorism'

as far as the 'moral' issue. yes I see your point but we can't be everywhere at once but we have to be somewhere. And the rest of the free world needs to get involved in these issues. And like you said, we are not there for 'moral' reasons like the original posters post suggests

The french and germans and friends need to get involved and it's not the fault of the USA that they aren't.

I think it was a BIG F@#% up to let saddam remain in power after the first gulf war. I said it then and I say it now.

Is that better?

[Edited by infwsdm on 08-24-2004 at 12:03 AM]

Re: For Pete's Sake...

No one seems to be getting what I am saying.
    I get what you are saying. The 'moral' issue. It's a subjective term though

So let me clarify, and then tell me where I am wrong, OK?

OK

This is what I believe:

1. We are there fighting this war to do battle with our enemies on their home court instead of here, and to kill them before they kill us. (Not out of some moral obligation to the tortured and oppressed Iraqi citizens, if that was so, why did we wait 30 years to become so moral???)

I agree

2. Saddam was and is a scumbag.

I agree

3. We are fighting a war in which we are taking needless casualties (Why are our young men and women standing over there on street corners like traffic patrol being blown up on an almost daily basis??? We train them to kill and defend, not to conduct traffic and be blown up???)

This is where politics comes in and F@##s everything up with the 'win hearts and minds' bull****. namely, the liberals

4. Why are we throwing bodies at a problem that we should be throwing bombs at??? (We started this Iraqi War, why don't we just finish it by killing every last one of them??? If American lives are so valuable, why are we taking casualties to fight this war in a polite fashion???)

If I were in charge I would have rounded up all the innocent, get them out of harms way, and then level the place.

Then build it back up minus all the bad guys. Give the people a piece of land for their troubles.

I'm not a bleeding heart liberal, simply because I don't agree with someone else's rationale for why we are there... When someone asks me how I feel about it, my usual answer is "We should bring them all the death, that they so cherish, so that we may get on with the living..."

Like I said, level the joint

[/B]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast