I have been contemplating weather i should be self employed or not . I have been down this road before when i worked for my father . So i have about 12 years of experiance with this . But i have been working for other people for about 5 years . I do know what it takes . I am just wondering about other peoples experiance . Thanks .

No doubt......

It's the best way to go in this biz, if ya can do it.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Just finished my first year. What a tough one too.

go for it do not wait untill you are my age to do it just rember the customer is always right they just have to pay for it. but be polite to them.

yes overall it is definatly worth it (although there will be days you just want to hide from the world) my biggest suggestion is to get the book E-myth revisited read it last week and start E-myth contractor tonight best money i spent in a long time

I would realy love to do this , but my job i currently work is very steady.
    I just have a problem being the middle man . I cant do what i think is necessary to make a situation better without going through the office.
    I know from past experience my father taught me to do what it takes to make the cust happy. I gues i grew up in this buisness and i did not have to be the middle man. If i had a problem i took care of it . Thats what imiss the most. I appreciate yalls replys.

I have contemplated it too but we are at 38.00 an hour plus benefits and that is pretty hard to give up.Also I am never on call so I don't do weekends or nights which I know would change.Just don't take on refrigeration and you won't have to worry about late night calls.I may change my mind one day but things are ok now, when I get sick of Corporate America one day then that may change.

Start small and have a good bussiness plan............

....... build up a good reputation and bank account and don't expect to show a solid profit for a least 2 - 3 years.
    Hire qualified techs and expect to work lots of hours until you get things up and running on its own.
    Don't take on more work than you can handle and don't under-cut your quotes to try to beat the "low-ballers" (you can't).
    Good quality work and a professional/positive attitude will pay off in the long run.
    Shoddy work and a "piss on you" attitude will get you no where fast.
    Go for it and good luck. (you'll never know until you try).
    God Bless America.

acjourneyman- my scale is about $10 an hour less. I am sure the cost off living is less here. Even at that this is more money than i ever made in my life. I know it may be hard at first but i still have a pretty good relationship with some old cust. from my fathers old biz. He had a good biz for 30 years . So i do realize what is at stake. Thank you all.