Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I had an HVAC professional tell me that in N.C. it was the law that if you changed out your outside unit, you had to change out your inside unit. Any of you all on here work N.C. and, if not, any suggestion as to where I can look to verify this assertion?
    If he is being truthful then he has my business, if he is lying then he won't get the time of day from me.

Thanks for any input. Have a great day.

Sounds a bit extreme to me. I've change condensers that were struck by a car, Lost a compressor out of warranty, and had coils that weren't worth replaceing. In all these cases I wouldn't understand why the AHU would have to be replaced too.It might only be if a system is over a certian age.

Not 100% sure on this...but I call

According to the ICC website N.C. has adopted the IMC statewide. Nothing in the code that requires automatic replacement of the AHU when replacing a condensing unit. I'd refer to mfg. instructions since many high end condensers require changing the coils also to achieve the high seer ratings. If your replacing a 10 seer no need to automatically change ahu.
    Vern P: 2003 MBC,MRC,IFGC,IFC
    An HVAC-Talk Michigan Chapter Mechanical Inspector, Jurisdiction-Ann Arbor

sounds like B.S. to me also....

There is some truth to this. If you replace a heat pump you have to at least replace the evap coil at the airhandler. The coil has to be a listed match to the heat pump to pass code. If you install a new Payne heat pump and have old heil airhandler and you can fit a Payne N-coil in the airhandler, it will pass inspection . You cant butcher the airhandler.There are a few of us that can do a neat ,pretty job. Just leave the paperwork for the inpector. Straight air is not that critical and you dont have to replace the coil (yet).
    Some inspectors are not as strict as others.

Hello - I am chiming back in on this thread. I have had a bit of a mixup recently with our old HVAC system. We are needing to replace our broken compressor unit, and our HVAC unit is covered under a home warranty from AHS. However, the HVAC tech is stating that NC Code dictates they must replace the coil along with the compressor unit. The issue with this being that our AHS warranty does not properly cover issues with code requirements, so we must pay out of pocket for it if that is the case. My question is - what is the code stating that these must both be replaced at the same time. I was only able to find NC Mechanical Code 304.1, but that still appears to leave it up to the discretion of the technician to be sure 1 matches the other.

I do understand that typically, replacing both is the most ideal, but the extra $$ is something I'd prefer to avoid.

If the old unit was r22 and new unit is r410a then indoor coil should be replaced. That the only reason I would think it's required.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Quote Originally Posted by ckartson View Post
    If the old unit was r22 and new unit is r410a then indoor coil should be replaced. That the only reason I would think it's required.
    The current unit is a Carrier HVAC from 1985, and uses r22. The new unit is a Lennox 13ACD-030 and also uses r22.

I am not aware of any such code here in NC. I would get another opinion.

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk

He is blowing smoke. Home warranty companies don't pay as much for jobs so he is trying make a bit extra. Personally, if I were in your shoes I would take a pay out if you can and find a reputable company to change out the whole system.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fivepointpack View Post
    Hello - I am chiming back in on this thread. I have had a bit of a mixup recently with our old HVAC system. We are needing to replace our broken compressor unit, and our HVAC unit is covered under a home warranty from AHS. However, the HVAC tech is stating that NC Code dictates they must replace the coil along with the compressor unit. The issue with this being that our AHS warranty does not properly cover issues with code requirements, so we must pay out of pocket for it if that is the case. My question is - what is the code stating that these must both be replaced at the same time. I was only able to find NC Mechanical Code 304.1, but that still appears to leave it up to the discretion of the technician to be sure 1 matches the other.

I do understand that typically, replacing both is the most ideal, but the extra $$ is something I'd prefer to avoid.
    If it's code, ask them to specify which code.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

If I bought a new house i would not pay $1 for a home warranty. Just check things out and use your head.

You bought a home with a 1985 ac unit. It is done. Nothing good will come from having this unit repaired and/or upgraded by the home warranty contractor. They stink. Check with friend and neighbors and call some good contractors for estimates. Im giving you good advice...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast