Thread: vfd controller

I need to control two allen bradley vfd on two 10 hp prop exhaust fans. The controller needs to control fresh air dampers also, all based on room temp. The building is a pump room and is a new install. I think we will have 8 damper motors. They want a display so the operators can adjust the temp up and down. The fans will move 100,000 cfm at full speed.
    Any suggestions on a controller would be great.
    There is no spec on the job as far as control or motors go so we are designing this one ourselves and making it work, we hope.

Alen Bradley (ABB) ACH 550.

just wqent to the factory start up class. it has the capability of Ao and DI DO. fully programable and inexpensive for the quality. also an expantion module is available if i'm not mistaken.

check with ABB rep, you may be able to control the whole deal from the drive.

[Edited by hvac3901 on 08-20-2004 at 09:28 PM]

If you would like to try and stay with a Commercial HVAC DDC product instead of going over to an industrial grade product like an Allen Bradley PLC (programmable logic controller) then you might want to look at the following combinations:

Honeywell: XL15C Plant Controller & S7760 Command Display
    Johnson: UNT Unitary Controller & ZTU Zone Terminal Unit
    Solidyne: IZAC-8-XLW Controller & DU-1 Display Unit

All of these products are available "over the counter" in the States.

You could also look at the Johnson Controls "System 350" analog electronic product line. It could get a little cumbersome or be somewhat of a kluge but it's inexpensive and it works.

Good luck with your application - it sounds neat.

Are you planning on doing the programming?

A good industrial controller at an HVAC price can be found @ automationdirect.com.

You can buy the PLC, programming software, everything to do the job. And they have great tech support.

You might also want to look at the Carel pco2. It is the controller used in the McQuay AGZ, and several other OEM products. Usually it is private labeled. http://www.carel.com or http://www.carelusa.com

You can buy the software and do the training, or you can have them do the programming for you. It is a great controller.

Good Luck.

Clyde

FMS2k
    just to clarify that ACH 550 is the drive not a plc, it has been integrated with some inputs and outputs to make it more functional in some hvac systems

hvac3901
    are not Alen Bradley and ABB to seperate manufacturers of vfd's?

Fatboy

i guess thats what i get for attention to detail. i dunno. are they? never even thought about it just assumed.

fatboy & hvac3901:
    f.y.i.
    Allen Bradley is part of the Rockwell Automation family. ABB ( Asea Brown Boveri ) is a completely separate company.

hvac3901:
    Appeared to me that the number of inputs & outputs that he would need for his application would probably exceed what the drive had to offer - especially if, for some reason, he needed to control all eight damper motors individually based on different CFM setpoints.

clydemule:
    Good call - have used Automation Direct myself a couple times. If cardinal ac is a pure HVAC guy he might feel more comfortable staying in the Commercial HVAC DDC realm.

Regards,
    fms2k

thanks for clearing that up FMS2K, i won't forget that one.

the genbtleman said two fans on two vfd's, so i figured i would throw out what little bit i remember. two vfd's four standard input output channels and eight dampers, but since ABB and allen bradley ar not even close to the same thing i guess it's a mute point.

Thumbs up

check with the owner of the plant they may be albe to provide a controller you can place directly on thier exsisting building automation systam network.

Altavar 58 SQ D will handle it.