line sizing

Thread: line sizing

line sizing

I have a 1.5 ton r22 system with <50ft line set 3/8" and 5/8" in size. Indoor equipment is in good condition but my condensor has failed due to corrosion in a harsh coastal environment. I would like to replace it with a goodman 13 Seer unit with 3/8 and 3/4" line connections. I would like to avoid replacing the line set as it is in a closed chase. Can I make this system work? Acheiving maximum efficiency is not a concern however I don't want to compromise the mecahical longevity or the warranty. Any help is appreciated

call in a pro.... is that help enough?

sorry, no DIY allowed on the site.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

what's the Goodman's refrigerant 22 or 410? Also the liquid line is ok but I would not use 5/8 suction,that should be 3/4 or prefered 7/8.You dont mention your'e plans for the evap. as you must change it to a matched 13 seer coil as well.Additionaly, if your changing to 410a you must flush the lines.

R22 and do not plan to convert. Thanks for the advice. As to Mr Spotts I don,t know the definition of a "pro' but I,ve got forty years in the automotive trade and thirty years maintaining rental property. The only time i was stingy with advice was the first ten years when I did,nt really know much. I certainly never insulted someone who asked an honest question either in person or online!

Quote Originally Posted by gd1949 View Post
    R22 and do not plan to convert. Thanks for the advice. As to Mr Spotts I don,t know the definition of a "pro' but I,ve got forty years in the automotive trade and thirty years maintaining rental property. The only time i was stingy with advice was the first ten years when I did,nt really know much. I certainly never insulted someone who asked an honest question either in person or online!
    Spotts is not being rude..........the forum rules, that you agreed to when signing up, state that we are not allowed to give out DIY info.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.