Replace or Repair

My current AC system (Carrier 15 years old) is about to give up on me. Yesterday it worked all day non-stop, but could not bring the temperature below 76°. I checked temperature at the return and register and got 60° at the register and 73° at the return. Outside temp was 96°, I live in Doylestown PA area. My outside unit was disconnected 2 years ago (during patio construction) and reinstalled within 2 days. Freon was added at the same time. Should I bother hiring someone to find a problem or just get a new system? The house is a 1700 sq. ft. Also, if there are any installers on this forum, who do work in Bucks county area, please send me a message.

Thank you.

nobody can even give you a qualified "guess" without seeing it first. You should start by calling in a contractor to tell you whassup! We'll wait to hear.....

If you can afford it, just buy new. I ALWAYS say that!
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

a contractor came out and said that my AC can't handle a 100° heat, 76° is the best i can get out of my unit in a 1,676 sq ft house.

here is a pic of the outside unit

Units aren't designed to handle 100 degrees in Pa.

I'm not sure what design temp is there. I'm sure someone will have an answer...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Got a quote on a XC14-03-230-03 system, which I was told can bing a house my size down to 72° in a 100° heat.

A: I live on the other side of the state. B: I do mostly refrigeration work, not a/c. C: the temperatures we are experiencing now are WAY above normal. D: I do know that if you size your air conditioner to handle the 2ish weeks(in Pittsburgh-I guess you are similar) of 90+ weather we have in summer, you will not be happy when is is 82 degrees and humid. Talk to your friends, relatives, neighbors, someone you trust, find out who their using for their a/c work, and talk to them. Your a/c might be giving all she got right now. Upgrading to something more efficient is not a bad idea if you have the money to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by net_tech View Post
    Got a quote on a XC14-03-230-03 system, which I was told can bing a house my size down to 72° in a 100° heat.
    bringing the temperture of your conditioned space down to where you want it might require more than just a new system. what kind of insulation do you have? is the attic area properly ventalated? is the ductwork sized correctly and properly wrapped? what does your indoor humidity run? are the old units dirty? (cause your outdoor coil is) what condition is the compressor in? is it running harder than normal (probably due to its age) do you have a refrigerant leak? ALL these questions should be addressed! and don't forget, getting a new system might suck at first while you hand over that big wad of cash, but eventually you will be glad you did when you see that electric bill drop!

I will try to answer everything I can.

what kind of insulation do you have?
    this is a townhouse so I technically have 2 exterior walls and 10 windows. The house is 14 years old, so whatever insulation was used back then is what I have in the exterior walls. All I can say is it’s pink color, don’t know what it’s rated at.

is the attic area properly ventalated?
    can it be ventilated properly if there is no fan in the attic?

is the ductwork sized correctly and properly wrapped?
    no, ductwork is not wrapped. it's 16 inch and my inside unit is rated at 70K BTU

what does your indoor humidity run?
    45%-50%

are the old units dirty?
    Possibly

(cause your outdoor coil is)
    It was before I took the pic. I usualy hose it down before the cooling season starts. Didn't think it would get this dirty just in a few months. Anyway it's clean now.

what condition is the compressor in?
    3 out of 10 i would say.

is it running harder than normal (probably due to its age)
    Agree.

do you have a refrigerant leak?
    Don't think so, at least I could not find one using soap water.

I also got a quote on Trane and still waiting on Carrier.
    I saw a lot of posts saying you can have the best system in the world, but if you have a crappy install, you system will be junk.
    Let's assume the installation is done right, what brand would you go with.

Lennox, Trane or Carrier?

I will post models for all 3 to make sure we are comparing apples to apples.

System 1 - Carrier
    Outdoor - 24ABC630
    Coil - CNPVP4217
    Indoor - 58CVA090-16

System 2 - Trane
    Outdoor - 4TTB4030
    Coil - 4TXCB05
    Indoor - TUD080R9V4K

System 3 - Lennox
    XC14-03-230-03

You originally said it was holding 76 when it was 96 out, your getting a 20 degree indoor/outdoor temp difference there, which is what most systems in that area are designed to be able to do. If it's holding your desired temperature now and even when it's 90 out then it should be doing it's job right.......considering it's age and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus-Herb94 View Post
    You originally said it was holding 76 when it was 96 out, your getting a 20 degree indoor/outdoor temp difference there, which is what most systems in that area are designed to be able to do. If it's holding your desired temperature now and even when it's 90 out then it should be doing it's job right.......considering it's age and all.
    I didn’t know what the designed temperature was 85. I also didn’t know that you can’t get more than 20 degree difference in 100° heat. Yeah today it’s back at 72° inside with 90° outside.

I am still considering an upgrade to a newer system...

Quote Originally Posted by net_tech View Post
    I didn’t know what the designed temperature was 85. I also didn’t know that you can’t get more than 20 degree difference in 100° heat. Yeah today it’s back at 72° inside with 90° outside.

I am still considering an upgrade to a newer system...
    20 degrees indoor/outdoor split is about the minimum systems are designed for. 2.5 ton in your 1700 Sqft is definitely about that, of course that's only a wild guess not knowing the home's design. It was 96 here yesterday, our downstairs is 1800 Sqft, 2.5 ton just like you, and it could only do 74, but that was with the assistance of the slightly oversized upstairs system.