Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PIG ROAST

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyDo View Post
    That's the part we missed. Once we dismantled the spit it has been in storage ever since. It's one of those things that you can't lend out b\c no one else would know how to use it! Where yours can be parked in a shed and loaned out season after season.

All in all, It was a nice cookout but the prep and clean up was a bear!!! We will not have another for a long time.

All that slime, fat and mess will make us thing twice next time.

BTW, Your pig looks like it turn out just perfect!!
    thanks yes it was
    yes it is a bit of a chore but doing it a few times makes you a smarter cook and you know what you need when you need it. Knowing that makes for more enjoyable day and if you can talk some of your guests into gloving up whitewashing that fence is easier (whitewashing from Huck Fin) it is all worth it but I cant stay up till all hours any more so once a year party is OK with me.

Nice job Litchmo.

We just did one last month. My recipe is to rub down, inside and out, the pig with ground corriander. Stuff it with cored apples. (No seeds. skins are okay because you throw them away afterwards.) Then douse it down with soy sauce.

Warp the pig in aluminum foil and then the chicken wire. Cook with apple wood. Bring the temp of the pig up 20 degs. an hour.

Now that we are old we buy a couple of large loins. And cook them the same way. To me the loins are the best part and cooking them are a lot less lobor intensive. But you lose the effect of everyone checking out the piggy.

I've cooked pigs on the a rotisserie and turning by hand. Turning by hand is easier since you only have to flip it every 15 minutes. In between beers.

In NM the Hispanics call it a manthansa(sp) the ones I've gone to there is little mess as they are roasted in a hole in the ground and buried over night until done. I don't know the whole procedure. Just hot coals are in the pit. But the results are good.
    I think Hawaii does something like this too.
    Speaking of pork skins, in Mexican groceries these things can be huge. Two feet long.
    Here too is a chicharrone. It's pork fat in a burrito. Too weird for me.
    Chiech of Cheech & Chong got his name from an uncle that said when Chiech was born he was all wrinkled like a little chicharrone.
    Tracers work both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Litchmo View Post

Looks good.. how did it taste.. What would you change?
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by crego97 View Post
    Looks good.. how did it taste.. What would you change?
    Chad
    It was verry good and moist. I am not so good that I could charge for my services.

It was verry good and moist. I am not so good that I could charge for my services.
    Diffinately hold out for FREE beers at least.

Here is one we did last year. It came out perfect. We followed the method and recipe found on the web.
    Search "Three guys pig roast"
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Huntmastr1 View Post
    Here is one we did last year. It came out perfect. We followed the method and recipe found on the web.
    Search "Three guys pig roast"
    Nice job Guys. It is still a lot of work no matter how you do it. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Or, you could just do this!

Don't redistribute my wealth,, redistribute my work ethic!

Hey Litchmo. I'm building a tiki bar on my deck and was wandering what you used for your roofing material. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by REECHMAN View Post
    Hey Litchmo. I'm building a tiki bar on my deck and was wandering what you used for your roofing material. Thanks.
    It's a flat shed roof 1/2 plywood with rolled roofing. The same is on the front. In this picture it has table skirt from the party store. I have replaced it with cider shacks the grass was high maintenance.
    Name:  P7110019.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  86.9 KB

Name:  P7110022.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  66.2 KB

It's a flat shed roof 1/2 plywood with rolled roofing. The same is on the front. In this picture it has table skirt from the party store. I have replaced it with cider shacks the grass was high maintenance.
    Name:  P7110019.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  86.9 KB

Name:  P7110022.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  66.2 KB
    Thanks, I found a couple places that sell the palm thatch mats, I think I'll go that route. P.S. Come on July!

Well here we go again another pig roast on Saterday. Will pick up the roster today from storage. Hope all goes well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast