Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: purging hoses

  1. #1

    Hmm purging hoses

    Guys
    I was wondering if and how you guys purge your guages when you put them on equipment just to take pressure readings. Thankyou Randy

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Inwood, WV
    Posts
    45
    Me too.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Morgan Hill Ca.
    Posts
    1,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Randykissling View Post
    Guys
    I was wondering if and how you guys purge your guages when you put them on equipment just to take pressure readings. Thankyou Randy

    FWIW, If I am just taking some readings, I do not use a manifold set, I have gauges with a 1/4" flare adapter on them...Never a loss in refrigerant charge and don't have to worry about contamination....

    I use different gauges for different oils also..

    I have three sets for different refrigerants....

    Cheap investment compared to the wear and tear on the manifold...


    GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    tx
    Posts
    1,088
    There really is no need to purge a hose to take a pressure reading. The only time you need to purge is if you are going to add refrigerant in which case you don't want the refrigerant from your bottle pushing that air in the hoses into the system. I am sure some of these guys who work on systems that may or always run in a vaccuum have some other sets of rules they have to follow as even hooking up could add non condensables.
    Bad information is worse than no information at all.

    There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Inwood, WV
    Posts
    45
    Good info. Thanks.

  6. #6

    purging hose

    great thank you

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    FWIW, If I am just taking some readings, I do not use a manifold set, I have gauges with a 1/4" flare adapter on them...Never a loss in refrigerant charge and don't have to worry about contamination....

    I use different gauges for different oils also..

    I have three sets for different refrigerants....

    Cheap investment compared to the wear and tear on the manifold...


    GT
    Same here. I won't get the gauges unless I'm sure there's a problem. We do a lot of maintenance and if you put gauges on every time, your just looking for trouble.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by surenuff View Post
    There really is no need to purge a hose to take a pressure reading. The only time you need to purge is if you are going to add refrigerant in which case you don't want the refrigerant from your bottle pushing that air in the hoses into the system. I am sure some of these guys who work on systems that may or always run in a vaccuum have some other sets of rules they have to follow as even hooking up could add non condensables.
    I'm kinda new to low pressure, but most of the time, there are gauges or a nifty touchscreen control panel already on the machine used for day to day operational checks. The other times, if you have hoses connected, you're either adding or removing refrigerant, or you have the machine slightly pressurized to service something.
    The key to happiness is lower expectations.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event