Thread: purging hoses

Hmm purging hoses

Guys
    I was wondering if and how you guys purge your guages when you put them on equipment just to take pressure readings. Thankyou Randy

Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Randykissling View Post
    Guys
    I was wondering if and how you guys purge your guages when you put them on equipment just to take pressure readings. Thankyou Randy

FWIW, If I am just taking some readings, I do not use a manifold set, I have gauges with a 1/4" flare adapter on them...Never a loss in refrigerant charge and don't have to worry about contamination....

I use different gauges for different oils also..

I have three sets for different refrigerants....

Cheap investment compared to the wear and tear on the manifold...

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

There really is no need to purge a hose to take a pressure reading. The only time you need to purge is if you are going to add refrigerant in which case you don't want the refrigerant from your bottle pushing that air in the hoses into the system. I am sure some of these guys who work on systems that may or always run in a vaccuum have some other sets of rules they have to follow as even hooking up could add non condensables.
    Bad information is worse than no information at all.

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't!

Good info. Thanks.

purging hose

great thank you

Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    FWIW, If I am just taking some readings, I do not use a manifold set, I have gauges with a 1/4" flare adapter on them...Never a loss in refrigerant charge and don't have to worry about contamination....

I use different gauges for different oils also..

I have three sets for different refrigerants....

Cheap investment compared to the wear and tear on the manifold...

GT
    Same here. I won't get the gauges unless I'm sure there's a problem. We do a lot of maintenance and if you put gauges on every time, your just looking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by surenuff View Post
    There really is no need to purge a hose to take a pressure reading. The only time you need to purge is if you are going to add refrigerant in which case you don't want the refrigerant from your bottle pushing that air in the hoses into the system. I am sure some of these guys who work on systems that may or always run in a vaccuum have some other sets of rules they have to follow as even hooking up could add non condensables.
    I'm kinda new to low pressure, but most of the time, there are gauges or a nifty touchscreen control panel already on the machine used for day to day operational checks. The other times, if you have hoses connected, you're either adding or removing refrigerant, or you have the machine slightly pressurized to service something.
    The key to happiness is lower expectations.