Smile

Ok guys. I have a simple question, of a survay. I like to hear your guys openions. Here goes. Which is the best making ice machine and the worst making ice machine??

if it makes ice then i guess i would say thats a good ice maker, J/K ive only touched one kind of ice machine when i was doing maintenance in a hotel for 2 years, can't remember the manufacture but most problems were always electrical

We've had a Manitowoc for over 8 years (450 lbs) with minimal probs, nothing in refrigeration circuit.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Over the years I've worked on many different ice machines. I think as far as dependability, Hoshizaki wins hands down! I think Kold Draft had the most problems, in my opinion.
    Jim
    Tucson, Az
    Keeping the Ice Cream Frozen!

I have serviced all major brands of ice machines. I am very partial to Hoshizaki for overall performance. Granted they have some problems but nothing to serious. The worst brand I have dealt with is Crystal Tips.

I'll take Manitowoc any day of the week. I just hate working on Hoshizakis. I'm always reading posts from guys on the net saying how much they love Hoshis, but I've never met a guy in the supply house that likes them. Maybe it's a regional thing. Lots of Manitowocs around here.
    I don't like waiting 45 minutes to make ice.

Worst ice machine ever? The old Kold Draft mouse traps

Hoshizaki is tops on my list. Manitowoc is second. Ice-O-Matic and Cornelius at the bottom. I just don't think it's fair to dump on Crystal Tips (since they're gone) and Kold-Draft (since they're trying to come back).

With the terrible water conditions I have here in Florida, evaporators are the first major component to fail in a cuber. This is how I have to judge most of the brands out there.

I have never had a Hoshizaki evaporator fail. On the other hand I've had numerous failures with the others, many of them in-warranty. Manitowoc has become a lot more sensitive to in-warranty evaporator claims and will not honor the warranty on those they feel were subjected to corrosive water conditions. That's a bunch of crap. If their materials won't stand up to an approved municipal water supply for five years there's something wrong with their design.

I have seven Manitowocs in my shop right now......all 1997 or newer, that have failed evaps due to corrosion.

I've got one Hoshizaki that spent ten years at a beachfront motel outdoors in the salt spray air and it still works great.

I like Maintowoc's the best for servicabilty/cleaning. I like Hoshi's for there dependabilty. I like Scott's since they make me lots of money especially with there newer Auto IQ controls with there IR sensors.

I forgot to mention Scotsman.......they're my #3, and soon to be #2.

I live in manitowoc & service/install some of thier experimental units.not bad machines & the people there are nice to deal with-but I could be a little partial lol.
    Take your time & do it right!

Hoshi # 1
    Scotsman #2

Wouldn't recommend the others.