Another true patriot

Thumbs up

Well, looks like Sen. McCain has some company. It's quite refreshing to see Republicans finally admit the truth.

Republican Congressman Says Iraq War Was Mistake

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Breaking ranks with the White House and his Republican leaders in Congress, Rep. Doug Bereuter (news, bio, voting record) of Nebraska has said in a letter to constituents the U.S. military action in Iraq (news - web sites) was a mistake.

The Iraq war was a "costly mess" with no quick way out, wrote Bereuter, vice chairman of the House Intelligence Committee and a senior member of the House International Relations Committee.

"I've reached the conclusion, retrospectively, now that the inadequate intelligence and faulty conclusions are being revealed, that all things being considered, it was a mistake to launch that military action especially without a broad and engaged international coalition," he said in the letter dated Aug. 6.

Republican leaders in Congress have supported President Bush (news - web sites)'s decision to invade Iraq on grounds that it had weapons of mass destruction that posed a danger to the United States. No stockpiles of such weapons have been found.

But Bereuter, who has resigned his seat in the House of Representatives to become president of the Asia Foundation, expressed dismay over the decision to go to war.

"The cost in casualties is already large and growing, and the immediate and long-term financial costs are incredible," he wrote, reflecting on his 2002 vote in favor of a resolution authorizing the use of force against Iraq.

"Our country's reputation around the world has never been lower and our alliances are weakened," he added.

"Now we are immersed in a dangerous, costly mess and there is no easy and quick way to end our responsibilities in Iraq without creating bigger future problems in the region and, in general, in the Muslim world."

The White House had no comment on the letter.

Bush and Co. What a lying mess!!

McCain is not a realist. He's an idealist. He's been that way all his life. That's one of the things that helped him survive the POW camp. And it's one of the things that makes him a lousy political leader.

Please, nobody stick motorboy with a fork. Put him back in the oven. He isn't done yet. Got lotsa growing & learning to do.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

They have found MIG jets buried in the sand, they have found truck loads of gold bars stolen from the banks, huge trucks full of American currency, and the "Freedom Fighters" have used bombs with nerve agents in them. The Iraqis had 9 months advanced notice to hide things before we actually invaded their country. It is true that they may never find these WMDs, but I bet Iraqs neighbors know where they are.

Originally posted by Paul R. Burkett
    They have found MIG jets buried in the sand, they have found truck loads of gold bars stolen from the banks, huge trucks full of American currency, and the "Freedom Fighters" have used bombs with nerve agents in them. The Iraqis had 9 months advanced notice to hide things before we actually invaded their country. It is true that they may never find these WMDs, but I bet Iraqs neighbors know where they are.
    The only thing buried in the sand is your head.

You must be a Democrat.But if you think my head is buried in the sand, is it because you have never seen the pictures the troops have sent back from Iraq, or you don't want to believe that these things are true?

[Edited by Paul R. Burkett on 08-19-2004 at 03:49 PM]

Originally posted by bootlen
    McCain is not a realist. He's an idealist. He's been that way all his life. That's one of the things that helped him survive the POW camp. And it's one of the things that makes him a lousy political leader.

Please, nobody stick motorboy with a fork. Put him back in the oven. He isn't done yet. Got lotsa growing & learning to do.
    ================================================== ==========

Got another one for the oven. johnI45 isn't done either.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

[ deleted by Boss ]

[Edited by Boss on 08-19-2004 at 01:20 PM]

You must be a Democrat.But if you think my head is buried in the sand, is it because you have never seen the pictures the troops have sent back from Iraq, or you don't want to believe that these things are true?

That must have been some good stuff you were smoking when you seen those pictures. I got news for you the war is nothing but a ploy by Bush and his gang of crooks to gain control of Iraqi oil. If you doubt this look at the financial reports of the major oil companies, profits and prices are at an all time high thanks to the #1 crook who is about to loose his job.

I guess that if what you say is true, then I should take some of the money I have saved as a result of our good friend George and company and but more oil company stock. Thanks for the tip. See, it pays to own a business when a republican is in office.

snopes.com > Photo Gallery > Military > Sand Trap

Go here and check it out johnjohn

I for one

Originally posted by johnl45

That must have been some good stuff you were smoking when you seen those pictures. I got news for you the war is nothing but a ploy by Bush and his gang of crooks to gain control of Iraqi oil. If you doubt this look at the financial reports of the major oil companies, profits and prices are at an all time high thanks to the #1 crook who is about to loose his job.
    Have no problem with the US controlling all of the mideast oil. The US is at this moment setting up a provincial government in Iraq. This is a good thing to happen. The US should control the majority of the world. We are the only ones who have the intelligence and the balls to do it. The sad part about this is that the pinko libs in this country will also reap the benefits.

Originally posted by johnl45

John, your comments are becoming ridiculious the more and more you post.
    Are you saying that somewhere on the big oil financial statements there is a line stating profits from Iraq oil?
    Please! oil prices are speculative.