Thread: help please! HVAC not efficient at cooling especially when restarting

Post Likes

help please! HVAC not efficient at cooling especially when restarting

Hi, please help! My HVAC for the 2nd floor isn't running well this summer. I already asked my local HVAC contractor to check it and they found nothing wrong (I had to pay them $ for the visit though).

Basically the problem is when the HVAC sits idle for a while, and then start, it's cooling OK, and the metal tube that goes back into the compressor is very cold. However, when you have it run for a while, after a few thermostat shutdown and restarts, all of a sudden there's no cooling at all. The metal tube that goes back to the compressor isn't that cold anymore, and the air comes out of the vent inside the house isn't cold(it's more like room temp), the air comes out of the main unit outside the house isn't hot either(it's supposed to be hot when it's working).

I'd be very thankful for any expert opinions on this problem. Thanks!
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-05-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: price

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bulkwarrior View Post
    Hi, please help! My HVAC for the 2nd floor isn't running well this summer. I already asked my local HVAC contractor to check it and they found nothing wrong (I had to pay them $190 for the visit though).

Basically the problem is when the HVAC sits idle for a while, and then start, it's cooling OK, and the metal tube that goes back into the compressor is very cold. However, when you have it run for a while, after a few thermostat shutdown and restarts, all of a sudden there's no cooling at all. The metal tube that goes back to the compressor isn't that cold anymore, and the air comes out of the vent inside the house isn't cold(it's more like room temp), the air comes out of the main unit outside the house isn't hot either(it's supposed to be hot when it's working).

Its usually called a callback, the tech couldn't find the problem. I would call them back out. Could be a lot of different things.

Post Likes
    call them back sounds like compresser not starting all the time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bulkwarrior View Post
    Hi, please help! My HVAC for the 2nd floor isn't running well this summer. I already asked my local HVAC contractor to check it and they found nothing wrong (I had to pay them $ for the visit though).

Are you using the t-stat as a toggle and "testing" it by moving it to and from cooling within seconds (possibly a few minutes) of eachother?

Post Likes
    Way too little info for us to do you any good at all. Could be any of 50-different things. Outdoor temp? How long on? How long off? What's the t-stat set point? What temp is the unit cycling off? What temp cycling on? These are all questions your HVAC company should be asking you and you should be prepared to answer. After that, it's up to them to determine if it's a blower problem, compressor problem, time delay relay problem, 4-way valve problem. I think you get the idea, eh?
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    See post #2 for you answer. Could be a lot of things but when the thermostat calls for cool and your indoor fan comes on it should be cool unless as someone said you have played with the thermostat.

Post Likes
    Mine did the same thing a time or two this summer.

Easy fix.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in