Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Originally posted by woods mech
    When were you on the Jouett? I was stationed onbard Jouett from 88-91. Small world. You know they sunk her in '02? She is now a coral reef. I stood BTOW in #1 Fireroom. I still remember that boat I liked her the best. I was on the Knox FF-1052 before upgrading to the Jolly J.

[Edited by woods mech on 08-21-2004 at 01:00 AM]
    Woody,

I was on Jouett from 83 to 86. I thought Jolly J was supposed to be sunk this year, not '02. Have you checked out http://www.ussjouett.com ? Pretty good site about the old girl. If I'm not mistaken someone associated with that site visited Jouett at Susiun Bay early this year and snapped some pics, which are posted on the website. In fact, check out this link: http://www.ussjouett.com/index28.htm

When I was on Jouett, the unbeatable main space alignment for most reliable operation was One Fireroom cross-connected to Two Engineroom. Neither one of us ever lost the load (well, a goofball electrician did drop it once when we were shifting from ship to shore power!). Two Fireroom and Main Control were always dropping the ball, it seemed like, even made us DITW a few times.

Small world indeed. She was a great ship. And it's good to see the Sterett will likely survive to represent her class for the world to visit.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Those pics I believe were taken back in '01. Do you get the newsletter? I do. I haven't paid dues yet but my name is on the crew list.
    We usually ran both firerooms and enginerooms with the Mn Steam cross connect Valve open I think it was MS-4. One time we were doing LEO (law enforcement ops) off the coast of mexico and we were running one plant #2 fire and engine room. We shifted watch back to #2 F.R. So us #1 F.R. guys were standing watch back there. Anyway #2 F.R. wasn't known for being squared away back then. When you run forced draft blowers you are supposed to leave the bypass valve open on the FDB throttle vlv for the blowers so in case you had a loss of control air you could shut down on the throttle vlv and the blowers would go to minimum speed because the bypass is open this is because the throttle vlv is normally wide open during normal ops. In a LCA you have to shut it down to gain manual control of the blowers. Anyway we were steaming along all kicked back and somebody topside found a valve that was connected to the Control air system and started blowing out a filter. We lost control air and also lost the blowers because we shut down on the throttle vlv and the bypass was shut and you know how hard those steam valves are to get back open once they're shut. We started smoking heavy black. I had to secure the boiler and we went DIW. Man was that an experience. All because a little bypass valve was shut and somebody wanted to clean a filter.
    Good Ol Jolly J. Did you guys ever do crash backs? That will get your heart going. I stood BTOW and was working on my EOOW quals I had all my drawings done and signed off. I miss being a BT. That was the hardest job I ever had but it was exciting. I guess I am a glutton for punishment.

One of my buddies on the Jouett was off the Sterrett it was a good boat too.

Good Ol Jolly J. Did you guys ever do crash backs? That will get your heart going. I stood BTOW and was working on my EOOW quals I had all my drawings done and signed off. I miss being a BT. That was the hardest job I ever had but it was exciting. I guess I am a glutton for punishment.

One of my buddies on the Jouett was off the Sterrett it was a good boat too.
    Yep, we did a crashback one time. And we THOUGHT we had all the angle irons and lagging in the overhead of Two Engine clean! The crashback revealed what we missed.
    I still remember how that old ship shook like a slinky when we crashed back. Also how the reduction gear howled during a full power run, and how the stacks outside howled. Oh yeah, and the rooster tail kicking up behind the stern. Fun stuff.

Steaming Two Engine was no cakewalk, but I always felt for you guys next door. A good buddy of mine was a BT3 and was always being sent up into the stacks to clean them. That had to be the pits. Worst thing we had to do was wipe out the lube oil settling tank, the contaminated drain tank, pull barnacles and dead fish and other crap from the main condenser, clean bilge pockets, and crawl into the sump of the reduction gear (you better NOT be clastrophobic!) to wipe it out. Oh, and the one time the work center supe sent my big burly friend up into the supply air ducting to clean them. How the hell he got up in there was amazing.

Losing the load because some deckape wanted to blow out a filter?? Good ol' Jolly J! Makes me wonder what control air was doing being piped topside to begin with. I remember we had the HPAC's and you guys had the LPAC's.

I also miss being around big equipment like we had. When I made lowerlevelman I loved it. Keeping all that stuff tweaked and running sweet was kinda cool. Closest thing I got now is keeping the 20 and 40 ton splits at work squared away. Not bad since I never gotta pull weekend duty or get my liberty secured for weeks at a time!

When I saw the Sterett in Subic back in '84, she was a rustbucket. I was the supply puke for M Division and would often spend my days running to other ships getting parts for our engineroom. One of those errands took me aboard Sterett and I was flabbergasted by how run down she looked at the time. Jouett was a flagship at the time and the heavies always had the sweat pumps on full blast to keep us shipshape, so seeing Sterett like that was a shock.
    I guess they brought her stateside later in the eighties and gave her a good yard period, because those who want to restore her for the musueum say she's in real good shape.

Ah...memories!
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

The Sterrett looked pretty good when I saw her in PI that was in '86,'87,and '88. Of course I never went aboard so maybe she was a rustbucket. I know the Jouett was kickbutt. We had #1 F.R. looking good. I had our feedpumps going good. It's a shame they decommissioned her. We had a bad ass anti aircraft radar and could hit anything coming our way. One time we were playing wargames with the Missouri battlegroup and they made us sit out because we were shooting down threats before any of the other ships had a chance to. Now I am in the Seabees Reserves. No more haze grey and underway for me. I miss being out at sea tho.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123