Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by i_got_ideas
    Originally posted by woods mech
    You guys are insane if you think Kerry would make a good commander in chief. He is an anti american jane fonda wannabe. He lied to get his purple hearts and is lying to this day. How do you suppose he was in vietnam for 4 months and got 3 purple hearts in two months? All 3 of his purple hearts were for superficial self inflicted wounds. All of his commanding officers are against him except for one who doesn't want to comment. He got below average FITREPs which are Navy Officer evaluations. He lied to get his silver star. He killed innocent vietnamese civilians. This is all documented all you have to do is read. You should listen to what the Swiftvets have to say they know they were there and served with Kerry. I know I do not want him as my CINC and I know the majority of people in my battalion think he's a joke. He doesn't support the military, he's not even a good senator since he missed 2/3 of all the votes. You guys are just Bush haters and would support Satan if he ran as a democrat against Bush.

At least he went

That's only an overused cheap shot. LOL Try Again

#1 It takes 1-2 years to train a fighter pilot. I would say a boat captain could be trained quicker than that yet Kerry only completed ¼ a tour opting to malinger his way out of the rest after a few scratches. President Bush left after 2 ½ years to run for office seperating is a requirement by military law if you run for public office.

# 2 Removing troops from certain places around the world makes sense:

Most of the bases existing today were placed 50 years ago based on antiquated needs like ships and aircraft refueling. Nuclear ships and subs can operate for quite some time before refueling and nearly all aircraft have aerial refueling/longrange capabilities.

We can deploy quicker than ever before most of the time we can be in place and ready before the enemy can get ready in their own country. This will also lower taxes (the democrats will have to grin and bear this one) because a military base is a huge expenditure when compared to the service it provides. Consolidating several small bases into one saves enormous amounts of money and provides a better service to the military community.

I would move as many troops as possible out of Korea too. In the event that we had to bomb a nuclear target “clean” troops would have to be brought in any way and the ones in the theater would most likely suffer (expensive) long term health problems.

#3 Why is Kerry not talking about the economy any more when that was big when he first got into the race?

I would say it is because we have had some of the largest gains in the market in 20 years! It seems that a President who could pull us from the slump caused by 9/11 to the largest gains in 20 years and cutting taxes all along the way deserves a second term. Kerry has voted against nearly every tax cut proposed since he was in office!

#4 Bush has safeguarded against terrorist attacks since 9/11 we have not had another one have we?

Better than that let’s place the blame where it is due (not Bush or Clinton) on the terrorists. I refuse to believe that ANYONE in government could have known the extent of what was going to happen and just stood back and watched.

#5 The extremely hazardous waste at power plants has been there for close to thirty years this is far from a Bush problem.

Some of the “extremely hazardous” waste is old transformers filled with oil. The most hazardous is spent nuclear rods from (30 years ago) these could easily be contained if they simply shut down the power plants and we all gave up electricity and our jobs and virtually every thing we own.
    Security at a nuclear power plant is pretty good at least at the one I visited there was a prison like feeling in the visitor’s center. The spent rod storage area was guarded just out of view according to employees.
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Originally posted by bb
    Originally posted by i_got_ideas
    You guys are insane if you think Kerry would make a good commander in chief. He is an anti american jane fonda wannabe. He lied to get his purple hearts and is lying to this day. How do you suppose he was in vietnam for 4 months and got 3 purple hearts in two months? All 3 of his purple hearts were for superficial self inflicted wounds. All of his commanding officers are against him except for one who doesn't want to comment. He got below average FITREPs which are Navy Officer evaluations. He lied to get his silver star. He killed innocent vietnamese civilians. This is all documented all you have to do is read. You should listen to what the Swiftvets have to say they know they were there and served with Kerry. I know I do not want him as my CINC and I know the majority of people in my battalion think he's a joke. He doesn't support the military, he's not even a good senator since he missed 2/3 of all the votes. You guys are just Bush haters and would support Satan if he ran as a democrat against Bush.

At least he went

That's only an overused cheap shot. LOL Try Again

I know (note the smiley face)....I am voting for him but I get tired of hearing the same'ol this and that day in and day out too.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by i_got_ideas
    [B]Me niether.......

And they say Kerry is weak on defense? What the hell, Bush is the one withdrawing 70,000 troops from overseas contries including South Korea, even while North Korea is building nukes

Typical of someone who has never served in the Army. Our troops are nothing but a roadbloack in a N Korea invasion. Their only mission is to delay the N Koreans for a couple of hours. All our troops will be killed in that event. It makes perfect sense to pull them out, then have a reactionary force ready to defend S Korea in case of an invasion. At least they wouldn't just be there to be slaughtered.

We can deploy quicker than ever before

Just a note on this subject. When I was on active duty in the Navy as a Boiler Tech it would take us at least 12 hours to light off and have the boiler up to steam and ready to go. We could do it faster(2 hours) but it endangered the refractory on the boilers. The expansion caused by the rapid heating. The gas turbine and deisel ships we have now are much faster they pretty much turn the key and go. Also I heard the new DDGs can go from 0 to 30 knots in 60 seconds. That is remarkable.

W04

During the 70's we had nearly a million troops deployed to Europe and they were needed to keep the Warsaw pact countries at bay. We also had terrorist and they were from many countries European, Japan and Arab. At that time they were trained by the USSR and its satellite states including several Arab states. Except for the Arabs most terrorist were young adults from wealthy or well of families. They were dangerous and somewhat inept with less than grandiose ideas. From these roots have come they well-trained radical Muslim terrorist that are virtually impossible to track and intercept. During the cold war terrorist were fairly easy to track because we knew where they trained and we had assets that could easily infiltrate the ranks of if not the actual group at least the one that trained them. Today because of two reasons we have a terrible nearly time of infiltrating terrorist groups. The first is because the Democrats gutted they financial side of the CIA and then hamstrung them by dictating how they dealt with threats. When I was in the Army in the late 70's one of my jobs while in Germany was terrorist NCO for my group. My main job was as a Sergeant in a nuclear missile battalion. At that time we were needed in Europe today we have absolutely no reason to have anything but a token force to maintain weapons stores and to act as liaisons with NATO nation headquarters. Most of the countries that at time were our foes are now trying to become part of NATO. We started pulling troops from Europe during 41's presidency and pulled far more out during the Clinton years. You didn't hear Democrats complaining because they were dismantling the hated enemy the military. The troops and equipment in Europe and Korea are needed to bolster our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. This will allow reservist to go home to their jobs.
    It is strange that reservist are respected now but they weren't during Vietnam. Reserve troops in the Vietnam era allowed us to fight the war in Southeast Asia and to maintain our very needed presence in Europe and Korea.
    President Bush 43 flew one of most unsafe and difficult airplane of any era of the Air Force many reserve pilot lost there lives flying that plane. He and all other pilots took their lives in hand every time they went up.
    The problem I have with Kerry is he planned and orchestrated his entire military service just to be able to pursue a political career. He wanted to be just like his idol the first JFK after serving a 6-month tour on a ship stationed off shore from Vietnam doing something concerning electrical work he volunteered for swift boat duty. This was as close as we had to a PT boat; by all accounts by those that served around him and those he served under he was a very poor commander. The man that presented him the Bronze Star and Silver Star Admiral Zumwalt didn't feel that he deserved them. What those that have never served in the military don't understand is how medals are awarded. In most cases except for the very highest awards (Medal of Honor) a medal can be awarded just because it was applied for. If the request is not challenged and the commanders after action report reads right the award is approved. In Vietnam this was especially true; I am not denigrating anyone medals or service that is just they way it was.
    In truth from what I have read Kerry did not ask to be sent back to the states after his three purple hearts his commanders immediate and higher used them as an excuse to rid themselves of him. When he got his third the applied and sent him home ASAP as a means of self-preservation. Remember the only former member of his crew that is speaking up for him is on the Kerry campaign payroll.
    We had butter bar Lieutenant that command wanted rid of because he was an inept buffoon that almost caused us to lose or nuclear surety rating three times in less than 4-months. They made him aide decamp to a 3-star general promoted him to Captain as fast as possible had him sign his commission papers and kicked him out of the Army. Since he had been promoted to Captain and signed his commission he was bound to the Army for life and in an emergency they could recall him.
    Having orchestrated his duty to follow in the steps of JFK coming back from war with medals complete with re-enacted super 8 movies to show the media at home. He proceeded to seek office but found that his chosen sate was very anti war liberal country. What to do what to do being a war hero like his idol wasn't going to gather him to the bosom of his chosen victims (constituents) it instead ostracized him. So it was time to re-invent himself into the epitome of an anti-war protester. What better way than to become the very visible spokesman for a bunch of liars deriding our troops fighting a very difficult war. His speeches along with Hanoi Jane were played to the prisoners held in the Hanoi Hilton and other POW camps. That is called treason and adding and abetting the enemy.
    Even back in the 70's Kerry had no scruples or moral compass he would say anything and use any one to further his career. He is a totally self-involved pathetic excuse for a human being; he doesn't care for you or anyone that will vote for him. He just wants to be president because that is what his idol JFK the 1st. was.

President Bush is not perfect he has made mistakes but the good he has done far out weighs his mistakes and you know exactly what he means to do because he tells you then he does it.

[QUOTE
    President Bush is not perfect he has made mistakes but the good he has done far out weighs his mistakes and you know exactly what he means to do because he tells you then he does it.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Well said and exactly why I will vote for GW. It is so easy to play Monday morning quarterback. In the end, he made some very tough decisions, in difficult times. He did what he thought was RIGHT, told us what he was going to do, and the by god did it! You have to respect a man who does what he says, believes it's the right thing, and finally, does not apologize for it. It's a little thing, long forgotten in politics, called integrity.
    Love thy neighbor and no running during tornado drills

Originally posted by infwsdm
    Originally posted by johnl45
    Kerry does have a solid plan read it for yourself at
    http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/our_plan_for_america.pdf
    The page came up blank. So that's kerrys plan huh?
    it's too bad he has you fooled
    It might not work for Bush right-wing diehards. Most others know you need to right click on the file and use save target as.
    Need a reader
    http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

I for one......................

Originally posted by infwsdm
    Kerry does have a solid plan read it for yourself at
    http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/our_plan_for_america.pdf
    The page came up blank. So that's kerrys plan huh?
    it's too bad he has you fooled
    It might not work for Bush right-wing diehards. Most others know you need to right click on the file and use save target as.
    Need a reader
    http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
    ....... have already made up my mind and the blank web page fits the Kerry agenda.
    Do I sense a hint of Bush Basher anger in your key board?

You call that a Plan for America? what a joke.
    That's not a plan, it's a bunch of ideas that even he knows most likly won't go as smoothly as he hopes. It's no more a plan than just hopes and dreams.

Kerry is so confused on his stance on issues that he is contradicting himself more often.
    As of late he is against moving troops around/out of Europe/Asia, but not to long ago he was all for re-alingment.
    Seeing that it is not his plan it must be wrong for America at this time.

Does Kerry really believe that he is going to remove troops from Iraq and Europe will fill the gap? Who's fooling whom???

Re: We can deploy quicker than ever before

Just a note on this subject. When I was on active duty in the Navy as a Boiler Tech it would take us at least 12 hours to light off and have the boiler up to steam and ready to go. We could do it faster(2 hours) but it endangered the refractory on the boilers. The expansion caused by the rapid heating. The gas turbine and deisel ships we have now are much faster they pretty much turn the key and go. Also I heard the new DDGs can go from 0 to 30 knots in 60 seconds. That is remarkable.

W04
    Another snipe! Me was a machinist mate; USS Jouett CG-29, USS Dixon AS-37, USS McKee AS-41. Hole snipe in aft engineroom on Jouett and A-Gang on the two tenders.

On Jouett we never did a two hour light-off but heard it could be done with risk. Main thing I remember is having liberty secured for us snipes long before the twidgets did because we had to light off at least twelve hours before going to sea. And they were the first across the brow as soon as the deckapes got the sucker secured to the quarterdeck.

On the Jouett we once raced an older Spruance class DDG while on Westpac overseas. She was a gas turbine job with the variable pitch screws and the "instant light off twist a key on the bridge" deal.
    Before the race started, I remember Chief coming over the 2JZ and telling both firerooms to put all boilers and forced draft blowers on the line, and to stuff the DFT and make sure plenty of make up, condensate, and drains were coming back from us in the engine rooms. I was a messenger at the time and stood on the throttle decks with the MMOW, upperlevelman, and throttleman while we waited for the flank bell order to come down from the bridge. When it finally did we twisted 'er wide open and sent the turbines and reduction gear screaming into a full power run. We had talkers topside watching the race and giving us blow by blow commentary.

In short, we blew the Spruance away! Maybe today's DDG's are jackrabbit fast but we smoked that Spruance with our four boilers and two screws and what to me appeared like a better hull design (looked sleeker, anyway).
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

When were you on the Jouett? I was stationed onbard Jouett from 88-91. Small world. You know they sunk her in '02? She is now a coral reef. I stood BTOW in #1 Fireroom. I still remember that boat I liked her the best. I was on the Knox FF-1052 before upgrading to the Jolly J.

[Edited by woods mech on 08-21-2004 at 01:00 AM]

I was a FOWT on an old Victory class merchant vessel..........

....... about 20 years ago. As part of the "Ready-Alert" ops out of Norfolk we were one of 3 ships competing for the "clean sweep" trophy (the broom flying from the crows nest).
    We won the contest but what a job!
    These ships were taken from the "moth ball" fleet and made fully ready right through sea trials for active duty status.
    Steam ran everything........ feed pumps, fuel pumps, forced draft fans, everything-steam reciprocating.
    Six guns per boiler, 3 upper- 3 lower....... both boilers facing each other.
    "Get outta my way when I'm firing cause if you get in my way, I might knock you down on my way through." Thats what I told the Coast Guard guy that wanted to "observe" from right smack dab in the middle of the kitchen (boiler fronts).
    He moved outta the way......... lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast