+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression. Anyone here suffer from it?

Post Likes
    This is a depressing thread

Post Likes
    When my girlfriend of 20 years died, I sunk to a depth that I never imagined existed. Going to sleep at night hoping you don't wake up. Waking up thinking you just had a bad nightmare, then realizing in horror that it wasn't a dream at all.

Until you've been there, it's difficult to understand.

Post Likes
    I've been off my meds for about a year now after being on them for 10 years. I told my doc I need to get off of these pills. Just got tired of not living but just kind of functioning through life. Before this, I was always on the go, hunting, fishing and just enjoying life. I'm much better now

For me one of the most frustrating things were that friends and family just didn't get it. Comments like, why are you so lazy, get out of the house and do something and so and so on would drive me ballistic. It's like I wanted to be this way.

For those of you that live with or know someone with depression the best thing you can do is get some books on the subject and read them so you can understand what it is. If you've never had depression you cant even remotely know what it's like to live with it!

Oh, and were not talking about, gee my beer ran out I'm really depressed!

My favorite song to listen to back then is by Harry Nilsson..."Your breakin my heart"

Trust me on that one. You should be able to find it on youtube.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chesapeake View Post
    It sucks. And right now I'm having one of my moments. UGH!

Just wondering how many of you out there take happy pills like me.
    I sympathise with you mate, its a terrible ailment, suffered with it since I was about 13, doc diagnosed me with it at 21, gave me some red torpedoed shape pills to take once a day, I had a pint of lager a few days after, and I felt as p!ssed as a handcart and I couldn't see a thing until I had been to sleep. It was as if I was frowning and my eyes were full of tears all the time distorting my vision. I stopped taking them eventually because I didn't feel like I was in control and felt slightly spacey, they did make me feel a bit better though, but I was still aware there was something wrong in my life and it made me try to think harder what it was, but at the same time making me feel like I didn't care.

Personally I think depression is caused by one or more traumas that in turn weakens your self esteem and confidence, and lowers your level of positive mental attitude, and your ability to take full control of your ambitions and destinies. Making you feel like not even bothering at all, or doing anymore than you have to. Then in turn making you feel worse for not bothering or trying harder, then adding more darkness to the problem.

As you know there's no cure for it you just come to terms with it, just recently I've been spending my weekends in bed all day and not wanting to get up. I think I'm crossing bridges before I'm getting to them, Its a strange thing as well because when you eventually try to look into where the problem is, you never get to the bottom of it, and start to get back to somewhere normal. Then the next thing you know everthings hunkydory, then after a while... bang, it all starts to go dark again. I don't know about you but peace and quiet seems to make a difference, it allows you to try and focus when you eventually feel like doing so. Also I think I'm trying to do too much and I've got too many things outstanding in my life at the moment, so I don't think this helps.

Such is life.

I hope you feel better soon.
    You don't get owt for nowt.

Cheers ah kid

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by midhvac View Post
    This is a depressing thread
    Maybe this will help; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tHoK1CpCaI
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    When my girlfriend of 20 years died, I sunk to a depth that I never imagined existed. Going to sleep at night hoping you don't wake up. Waking up thinking you just had a bad nightmare, then realizing in horror that it wasn't a dream at all.

Until you've been there, it's difficult to understand.
    This is a different type of depression. Time can most times ease the pain of this form of depression. I'm not trying to lessen the impact of such depression, only saying that it has a difinitive reason that can be dealt with.

Clinical depression is being depressed with no apparent reason. It is a depression that involves fear and paranoia which can result in anger and violence.

I do hope you have accepted your loss and your emotional pain has eased over your loss. You have my sympathy and my empathy.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by starr View Post
    I've been off my meds for about a year now after being on them for 10 years. I told my doc I need to get off of these pills. Just got tired of not living but just kind of functioning through life. Before this, I was always on the go, hunting, fishing and just enjoying life. I'm much better now

For me one of the most frustrating things were that friends and family just didn't get it. Comments like, why are you so lazy, get out of the house and do something and so and so on would drive me ballistic. It's like I wanted to be this way.

For those of you that live with or know someone with depression the best thing you can do is get some books on the subject and read them so you can understand what it is. If you've never had depression you cant even remotely know what it's like to live with it!

Oh, and were not talking about, gee my beer ran out I'm really depressed!

My favorite song to listen to back then is by Harry Nilsson..."Your breakin my heart"

Trust me on that one. You should be able to find it on youtube.
    According to Nilsson, the two biggest mistakes he made in life was getting a Beatle drunk (the night John Lennon taped a Tampon to his forhead while he was bar hopping with Nilsson) and using the "F" word in a song.

You're Breaking My Heart, despite what it seems to be, is actually an upbeat love song. I can't help but be cheered up when I hear it.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    This is a different type of depression. Time can most times ease the pain of this form of depression. I'm not trying to lessen the impact of such depression, only saying that it has a difinitive reason that can be dealt with.
    Agreed totally. This is what I went through for 6 months after my mother passed and I quit smoking. Seriously. I take after my father.

Clinical depression is being depressed with no apparent reason. It is a depression that involves fear and paranoia which can result in anger and violence.
    Not necessarily no apparent reason, but my mother was labeled a hypochondriac from 1960 to 1978. Went through hell and back with depression, psych wards, shock treatments (31 of them bloody things), etc... Then came the day they finally did a spinal on her. They found out she had M.S. and probably had it since she was 16. Her life was much improved after that. The rest of the family lives on with the scars. Bloody doctors.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2¢.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gruntly View Post
    Agreed totally. This is what I went through for 6 months after my mother passed and I quit smoking. Seriously. I take after my father.

Not necessarily no apparent reason, but my mother was labeled a hypochondriac from 1960 to 1978. Went through hell and back with depression, psych wards, shock treatments (31 of them bloody things), etc... Then came the day they finally did a spinal on her. They found out she had M.S. and probably had it since she was 16. Her life was much improved after that. The rest of the family lives on with the scars. Bloody doctors.
    That is so sad when someone lives in such a nightmare mostly because they are not properly treated. I stopped going to doctors altogether because they kept coming to the conclusion that all of my problems were being somehow conjured up by me. It was my son's pediatrician who first spotted the physical signs of depression and chemical inbalances in me. Prior to him, the psychiatrist I was court ordered to see had done me a lot of good as well, but he retired soon after I started seeing him and I did not go on to his recommended replacement (felt betrayed because the old guy retired).
    Training is important!

Post Likes

I do hope you have accepted your loss and your emotional pain has eased over your loss. You have my sympathy and my empathy.
    I agree. I knew what caused it. It took much longer to emerge from it than most people realize. You have to go back to work, and interact with people for other reasons, so you spend a lot of time "faking it".

It seems to me that it would be much more difficult to address if you couldn't identify the cause.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    I agree. I knew what caused it. It took much longer to emerge from it than most people realize. You have to go back to work, and interact with people for other reasons, so you spend a lot of time "faking it".

It seems to me that it would be much more difficult to address if you couldn't identify the cause.
    When there is no apparent stimuli cause and affect, most depressives are dismissed as just being the way they are. That causes a depressive person to retreat even more into themselves, feeling that they are some sort of misfit. The intense loneliness of a depressive, which you have felt for an extended period of time after your sudden loss of someone who was so much a part of your life, is what makes it so personal that you can't even discuss it with anyone. After all, there is no one else who is experiencing the same thing that you are.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    When there is no apparent stimuli cause and affect, most depressives are dismissed as just being the way they are. That causes a depressive person to retreat even more into themselves, feeling that they are some sort of misfit. The intense loneliness of a depressive, which you have felt for an extended period of time after your sudden loss of someone who was so much a part of your life, is what makes it so personal that you can't even discuss it with anyone. After all, there is no one else who is experiencing the same thing that you are.
    Yes, the favorite thing for people to say is, "are you ok?". Of course you're not ok, what a dumb question. After a while I just wanted to say, "No, I'm not ok, something just reached in and ripped my f-ing heart out, how could I be ok?".

Post Likes
    I'm pretty sure I'll be depressed as heck, by the end of this week.
    I've got to bring my dog to the vet, and I'm almost positive he's got cancer.

Post Likes
    According to Nilsson, the two biggest mistakes he made in life was getting a Beatle drunk (the night John Lennon taped a Tampon to his forhead while he was bar hopping with Nilsson) and using the "F" word in a song.

You're Breaking My Heart, despite what it seems to be, is actually an upbeat love song. I can't help but be cheered up when I hear it.

I just think it's a funny song. It always brings a smile to my face when I hear it along with some of his other songs.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by starr View Post
    [/color]

I just think it's a funny song. It always brings a smile to my face when I hear it along with some of his other songs.
    Let me know where you are working and I'll pull up in my Coleman-mobile blaring Nilsson music.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'll be depressed as heck, by the end of this week.
    I've got to bring my dog to the vet, and I'm almost positive he's got cancer.
    Know what you mean. We are probably going to lose the third of our last three cats this year. We picked all of them up from the pound at the same time 16 years ago and two of them died this year within a month of each other.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    There are other unusual causes for it too. You can sail along for several decades and never have it. Then you get an upper spinal cortisone epidural and end up with a chemical brain imbalance that causes it overnight. They experiment on you with various SSRI's and finally find one that works. You try every x years to wean yourself off it, but end up quickly back in BIG trouble again.
    Clinical depression is not a DIY thing, because the very thing that's busted is required to fix it - a brain. See a Dr. and get your life back.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by midhvac View Post
    There are other unusual causes for it too. You can sail along for several decades and never have it. Then you get an upper spinal cortisone epidural and end up with a chemical brain imbalance that causes it overnight. They experiment on you with various SSRI's and finally find one that works. You try every x years to wean yourself off it, but end up quickly back in BIG trouble again.
    Clinical depression is not a DIY thing, because the very thing that's busted is required to fix it - a brain. See a Dr. and get your life back.
    From someone who has tried to DIY depression and failed dramatically, I highly endorse the advice of mid's post.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    I have flirted with the thing at times enough to see that once on that road there is no end. Best for me not to flirt with it, no good can come. It is the true bottomless pit.

For me, if I suffered a deep loss, I think first I would seek to suplant it somehow. To be wounded I must have loved, and that's all life is really about. If I had nothing left to care about or love, I think that's when apathy would find it's foothold.

I lost a dear friend who was in the midst of retirement, all excited about his future. He suffered a massive cardiac event and left us. It pointed out to me that our lives are right now, not something in the future to work towards. I try to enjoy every day for what it is, and appreciate what I am surrounded by.

And I try to stay away from ARP now too.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by forged alloy View Post
    I have flirted with the thing at times enough to see that once on that road there is no end. Best for me not to flirt with it, no good can come. It is the true bottomless pit.

For me, if I suffered a deep loss, I think first I would seek to suplant it somehow. To be wounded I must have loved, and that's all life is really about. If I had nothing left to care about or love, I think that's when apathy would find it's foothold.

I lost a dear friend who was in the midst of retirement, all excited about his future. He suffered a massive cardiac event and left us. It pointed out to me that our lives are right now, not something in the future to work towards. I try to enjoy every day for what it is, and appreciate what I am surrounded by.

And I try to stay away from ARP now too.
    What a nice post. Thanks for your thoughts. If you look at ARP as strictly entertainment, it doesn't get too depressing.
    Training is important!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in