Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
    I fight depression by staying away from negative people, if someone trys to get my blood boiling on the phone I hang up and dont waste my breath arguing, dont drink alcohol (its a derpressant you know), go to the gym and workout, eat healthy, and have as much sex as my wife will allow.

Also what kind of music do you listen to? Alot of todays popular music will have you reaching for a gun after listening to the gloomy crap they sing about. Try some upbeat music, and dont watch drepressing movies or shows.

For Post 8888 I give you:

8888, time to change the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerk View Post
    ...dont watch drepressing movies or shows.
    Crap! I just got through watching all of Farscape. That show has some really f-ed up crap in it. But then again, I love crap like that.
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

For those who may be depressed over being shy and not being able to let loose enough to have fun, I highly recommend this product; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibOkCRHRtjk
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I have also noticed a correlation of being around constantly whining people and depression as well as depressing movies. My latest encounter with a depressing movie was the movie The Road. Hell, you may as well just shoot yourself then to watch that movie. The feeling can't be much different.

I fight depression by staying away from negative people, if someone trys to get my blood boiling on the phone I hang up and dont waste my breath arguing, dont drink alcohol (its a derpressant you know), go to the gym and workout, eat healthy, and have as much sex as my wife will allow.

Also what kind of music do you listen to? Alot of todays popular music will have you reaching for a gun after listening to the gloomy crap they sing about. Try some upbeat music, and dont watch drepressing movies or shows.
    I agree keep away from negative stuff, always excercise your mind find something to keep you busy. Unfortunetly when something goes bad it makes you feel bad and more bad things seem to happen. A few month's ago the call service ef'd up and sent me to the wrong place 118 miles when I was on call at 11:30 p.m, and I wanted to get on home on time, so I'm pissed off and get in the truck all worked up going to the right place and I didn't notice a right turn only on green sign cop pulls me over, two weeks latter I'm on my way back 80 plus miles from home at about 2:15 Am from a call. The call was supposed to be for a/c but it turned into a a/c, and 2 walkin coolers call and a cop nails me for going 13 over, then latter "1 1/2 hrs" when I'm near home a county jerk pulls me over driving to slow. Then to top I off I had other personal issues happening, man I really felt like ****. I'm over it now but I swear long as I live I will never ever donate a penny to an law in forcement org, which I have in the past. All I was trying to do was just my job. Then when those jerks all 3 had me pulled over they were asking me what I wasw up to and were I was going. "Can't the read the 24 emergency hr refrigeration service sign on the truck". This sh$t happened after I worked a full 8-10 day.

Quote Originally Posted by wildtech View Post
    I agree keep away from negative stuff, always excercise your mind find something to keep you busy. Unfortunetly when something goes bad it makes you feel bad and more bad things seem to happen. A few month's ago the call service ef'd up and sent me to the wrong place 118 miles when I was on call at 11:30 p.m, and I wanted to get on home on time, so I'm pissed off and get in the truck all worked up going to the right place and I didn't notice a right turn only on green sign cop pulls me over, two weeks latter I'm on my way back 80 plus miles from home at about 2:15 Am from a call. The call was supposed to be for a/c but it turned into a a/c, and 2 walkin coolers call and a cop nails me for going 13 over, then latter "1 1/2 hrs" when I'm near home a county jerk pulls me over driving to slow. Then to top I off I had other personal issues happening, man I really felt like ****. I'm over it now but I swear long as I live I will never ever donate a penny to an law in forcement org, which I have in the past. All I was trying to do was just my job. Then when those jerks all 3 had me pulled over they were asking me what I wasw up to and were I was going. "Can't the read the 24 emergency hr refrigeration service sign on the truck". This sh$t happened after I worked a full 8-10 day.
    I think you want this thread: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=585492

Being a depressive is not about being naturally depressed over events that have occured. As mentioned by others, depression is a good thing for certain occasions.

Being a depressive is having the feeling that everything is wrong and that something very bad is about to happen when there is no actual stimuli to cause such a feeling.

Feeling constantly anxious quickly causes the depressive person to become paranoid. Paranoia in turn can cause anger and aggression. A deeply depressed person can turn to being violent when to everyone else there is no evidence for a reason for violence.

Think about how you felt when you expected something that did not happen, or when someone you really loved spurned you, or when a relative or pet died prematurely. Take all of the things in life that may have caused you to have emotional pain, add fear so compelling that you know that any moment you are about to have something really bad happen to you, and then try to function while having all of these feelings constantly at the same time. That's chronic depression.

It may not be real, but it is reality to the person feeling it.

A few years ago when my life tried falling apart (well seemed to be at the time) I saw some counselors and took some of them happy pills. They told me it'd take a bit for them to work, and they might have to give me a couple different kinds before they found one's that worked for me. No big deal, I can handle that.

Really long story made to be kinda short. I tried 3 or 4 different kinds of pills to mellow me out, they never really worked. Seems like they mellowed out the good times and made the bad times even worse. Then the counselors must have paid to get that paper on their wall, basically they ended up telling me that I've spent my whole life getting to where I was, and it was a waste of time, and it'd take me a good long while to pull myself out of the hole I dug.

Cripes, I thought I was doing great in life with a few minor exceptions (and now know that). I'm pretty anti pill for almost all things (especially since hardly any kind of pills whether it's happy pills or pain pills work on me), and after that experience, I kind of determined that the only person who can change my life is me, so I better get to cracking. If those pills do help you though, great, but it'd prolly still be best to work on self change too then you'll really be doing good.

It's hard to do, but I try to have a better out look on life. Back when you're 8 years old and someone stole your bike, man, life can't get any worse! Looking back though, meh, not so bad. Seems like all bad things that happen in life are like that, seem bad at 1st, but once you get some time under the belt, they are easier to swallow and get you ready for the next event in your life and (hopefully) allow you to cope better.

My hopeful scenario, I'll bust my hump for my entire life attempting to good and live a productive life, and hopefully I'll be rewarded with something great. Whether that's an eternity in heaven, or bambi the hot 21 year old stripper takes me out in a night of passion, either way should be a good way to go! lol
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

I have to agree with you 100% about the current music, I listen to stuff from the 70s 80s 90s and even early 2000s, but not current, it's just too depressing and doesn't help at all.

Some may think I was living in the past when I talk about how good the "past" was, but actually I'm missing the happy times and not actually dwelling in the past.

My only depression currently lies in the current state of this country. Dealing with it and still coming out happy has been an interesting ride this past 1.5 years. For me it's been a lesson on how to remain "happy" during horrible times.

Thumbs up Right there as well

Wow,

What great advice from all the post. 1st off it take real courage to admit you have struggles. I believe that if you take the advice of the others on the post and communicate with your doc as well as the counslor things willl do fine.

Do you own your owne business? I l know that alot of business owners and managers that have tons of responsiblity tend to face depression. We tend to bare the brunt of the burden of the business on our mind.

I am still working things out with my meds and situation, but I have found out that communication with others in my situation helps alot.

if you need to chat, contact me off line and I be more that happy to explain my situation, that goes for anyone?

"Zig -Help enough other people get what they want u get what u want"

Good luck and God bless.

Ken Atcher Service

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast