+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bryant dealers can't buy Carrier????

Post Likes
    Got a call today, the customer wanted a quote on a 5 ton Carrier cond unit, so I called the local Peirce-Phelps office and was told that they can not sell to me since i'm not a Carrier dealer....ok, sign me up then! Turns out that since i'm a Bryant dealer I cannot buy Carrier or become a dealer??????

This makes no sence at all....anyone run into this or am I just having a bad week

Post Likes
    There's a hack here that sells Carrier and Bryant both...

I dunno if maybe he did quit selling Bryant but last I knew he still was. I know for sure he's selling Carrier because I've had to go fix them .
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Post Likes

I aint no Carrier Dealer

and I sell them all the time.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    So how do they sell Carrier ....being hacks and all? I can't get set up?? Are you telling me they know people behind the counter? Sad thing that a real legitimate contractor can't do business with Carrier just because I sell other brands! No kidding thats what I was told by a carrier rep for the North East.

What a load of crap!

I'm sorry but I'm not going to just sell one product! In order to do res business you need to be able to buy equipment. So now I need to match the existing Carrier furnace and coil to a new Trane!

Post Likes
    In our area we can't buy any other big brand equipment except what we are a dealer for. I can't get Carrier, Bryant, Lennox or Trane. Very dealer protective area. They all have tried to get me to do theirs exclusivly but I refuse. The wholsalers for them are terrible and could care less weather they can supply you or not. Also the want you to buy thousands of dollars at a time weather you can sell all of it or not.

I have took to selling Maytag and have been having great luck with them.

Good luck if your in an area like this.
    Its a good Life!

Post Likes

Carrier-Bryant

Most Carrier distribution has had this policy for many years. They want separate distribution networks in order to gain market shares with multiple brands. Furthermore, is it right to sell a dealer a brand only because a consumer has requested that brand. Do you go to the Chevy dealership to buy a Ford? Dealers who only sell a few systems of one brand & then call themselves dealers of that particular brand while they sell everything else is what I call an "access'' dealer. "Access dealers" are not in major manufacture's interests.

Post Likes

Re: Carrier-Bryant

Originally posted by mr big
    Most Carrier distribution has had this policy for many years. They want separate distribution networks in order to gain market shares with multiple brands. Furthermore, is it right to sell a dealer a brand only because a consumer has requested that brand. Do you go to the Chevy dealership to buy a Ford? Dealers who only sell a few systems of one brand & then call themselves dealers of that particular brand while they sell everything else is what I call an "access'' dealer. "Access dealers" are not in major manufacture's interests.
    I understand your point however, the responces above tell us that it's being done with or without the blessing of Carrier or Lennox.

As for Chevy selling Fords....
    I own a Chevy and a Ford. As for repairing my vehicles, I use one mechanic.

As a plan and spec mechanical contractor I need to be able to buy all brands and as a service contractor I need to fix all brands.

The purchase of a new 5 ton Carrier condensing unit for this customer is to REPAIR his system, now if he was looking for a new system soup to nuts, then I can offer my customer a choice....Trane, York, Bryant, Arcoaire, Ducane, Unico Systems....ect (hell I might even offer Goodman).

I don't need to look out for the manufacuure's best interests, I look out for my customers

Post Likes

Your Customer

It would be in your customers best interest to sell him a new matching indoor coil & outdoor unit of one of the brands you represent. You never know what you are going to get with a non-factory matched system, even though the manufacturer is the same.

Post Likes

Plan & Spec & parts

Carrier bids plan & spec work to all contractors & sells parts to all contractors. I cannot quarantee that all contractors get the same price for either.

Post Likes
    The truth of the matter with this customer is "in his best intrest" I can not bid the condenser replacement at all! since I'd be wasting our time quoting a Trane evap and condenser while all other bids will be just a Carrier condenser. Carrier wins! or did they?

As for plan and spec quotes from Carrier, you are correct, we can't get a good number..... "or equal too" will be the norm here.

Understand, I'm just venting...... been a Trane fan for years......lol

Post Likes

Matched systems

Hvac---I understand you completely. On those Carrier bids that merely include just a condensing unit, you might tell the consumer that just because the condensing unit & coil are the same manufacturer that the system will not give them the efficiency of a new factory matched Trane system.Of course, I really don't know how old the coil is. On plan & spec jobs , your Trane boys will just have to give you some mean numbers to match the Carrier bids. We all know that in plan & spec world ; low bid gets the job. No salesmanship involved in plan & spec. If you gonna do em cheap; then you gotta buy em cheap!

Post Likes
    I dont like this policy and never have.I pay YOU to sell YOUR product?Then you make me buy $10,000 dollars worth of Equip every 6 months.And dont even get the best price you offer?

Look I understand Carrier wants to keep its standards high adn this and that.But they never asked to see my installs or give me a test or check the Quality of my work.They just want to know how big my check book is and that my friend is part of what is wrong with the HVAC Buisness.IMO

But it is what it is.

Post Likes

Carrier

Actually Spidy, Carrier wants you to buy close to 50,000.00-100,000.00 dollars worth a month to get undivided attention. Numbers less than that & you don't really get much attention.

Post Likes
    They will sell to you but you have to know the magic words...

Tell them that the HO is trying to decide between Trane and Carrier and if you don't sell the Carrier, Trane will get the job.

That should do it.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Likes
    There is a local contractor in my area that is a 5 star Carrier dealer but also sells Rheem and Goodman.

It seems as though there several sets of standards in play here.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Post Likes

Very timely thread!

I got a call from the A/S distributer. He said that the Big Boys told them not to sell me any more A/S. Said I am a Trane dealer and I can't buy A/S anymore. It started when I got pissed at the BS that I was getting from my Trane dist. I told them since they screw up as bad or worse than the A/S dealer down the road, ((5mi.), I should avoid the 30 mile drive to get Trane and buy A/S.
    I told them A/S was getting 25% of the equipment sales. That's when all the crying started. I guess I buy enough now to get their attention.
    PS-The A/S guys also have Sat. hours, the Trane bunch doesn't. I guess whenever I need equipment I'm going to have to start ringing someone's pager! NOT! I have no intention nor do the A/S guys of not doing business anymore.

Post Likes
    If you sell Carrier you get the scumbag service that you deserve.

When a customer wants a Carrier just tell them the turth. Since Carrier started making thier equipment in Mexico the quality of the equipment went way down. They send up equipment that has leaks in them and they expect us the dealer to fix them and not charge them for our time or material. We can't do business with Carrier. Do you really want a Carrier unit made in Mexico?

Carrier what a mess.....

ps. did I mention that Carrier sucks the big one. I told you guys that 3 years ago.

[Edited by benncool on 08-18-2004 at 09:50 PM]

Post Likes

Breath deep..

And tell us what you really think of Carrier,

Our Carrier dist. got fired by Carrier. The Bryant dist. is also the Carrier dist. and they'll sell to anyone.

Post Likes
    anyone can buy a Carrier, just go to sears they will sell you one

Post Likes
    What bothers me is that they are trying to use rules made up by them selves and are inconsistant with every one. Why can't the small business shop buy what ever it wants from whom ever he wants.
    take the car dealers for example a gm dealer actually has access to several brands eg cadillac hummer buick pontiac cheverolet geo oldsmobile etc. and he can sell any trade in or used vehicle he wants.
    now the individual dealer has access to two or more brands from Gm So why the hell can't a bryant dealer sell carrier they are under the same umbrella

go to any electronics retailer except the sony store and you will see all kinds of brands being sold.any dept store can sell any brand of stuff.

www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in