Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Baptism

[QUOTE]Originally posted by benncool
    [B]Okay the Catholic view point.

There are 7 Sacraments which the Catholic Church believe is the center of our worship. They were instituded by Jesus Christ and can not be changed or added to or taken away.

There are many man made sacramentals, within the Catholic Church, that are intended as helps in meditation or prayer. These can be things or rituals. Statues, rosary beeds, blessing with holy water, burning incense etc.etc.etc. Personally, I think all these sacramentals get people too confused about our church. Since they are man made there is no inpropiety in doing away with them either. However the 7 Sacraments established by Jesus Christ are stone and inflexible.

Baptism is one of the 7 Sacraments. It was established by Jesus Christ to remove the orginial sin that is on every Human when they are born. That sin was placed on us by God the Father for the sins of our parents-Adam and Eve.

In order to be brought into the Church of Jesus Christ you must be Baptized so that the orginial sin is forgiven. You can only be baptized once. If someone comes into our Church from another religion and he was Baptized by lets say a Lutheran minister, then that person would not be "re-Baptized" when he joined the Catholic Church.

Jesus said that unless you be born again of water you will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven. This is why there is a Catholic Church rule that states, in case of an emergency any baptized Christian can administer the Sacrament of Baptism to any person wishing to be Baptized and is in danger of death.

[Edited by bootlen on 08-18-2004 at 05:44 PM]
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bootlen
    [B]
    Originally posted by benncool
    Okay the Catholic view point.

There are 7 Sacraments which the Catholic Church believe is the center of our worship. They were instituded by Jesus Christ and can not be changed or added to or taken away.

There are many man made sacramentals, within the Catholic Church, that are intended as helps in meditation or prayer. These can be things or rituals. Statues, rosary beeds, blessing with holy water, burning incense etc.etc.etc. Personally, I think all these sacramentals get people too confused about our church. Since they are man made there is no inpropiety in doing away with them either. However the 7 Sacraments established by Jesus Christ are stone and inflexible.

Baptism is one of the 7 Sacraments. It was established by Jesus Christ to remove the orginial sin that is on every Human when they are born. That sin was placed on us by God the Father for the sins of our parents-Adam and Eve.

In order to be brought into the Church of Jesus Christ you must be Baptized so that the orginial sin is forgiven. You can only be baptized once. If someone comes into our Church from another religion and he was Baptized by lets say a Lutheran minister, then that person would not be "re-Baptized" when he joined the Catholic Church.

Jesus said that unless you be born again of water you will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven. This is why there is a Catholic Church rule that states, in case of an emergency any baptized Christian can administer the Sacrament of Baptism to any person wishing to be Baptized and is in danger of death.

[Edited by bootlen on 08-18-2004 at 05:44 PM]

Oh man! I had a whole diatribe here in response to this and it fell off. I think I hit the wrong key or something. Get back to ya later, Bennie. Stay cool!

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

Proud member of KA Club

I have been looking all throught the new and old testement, and I can not find referance to origional sin. What verses of scripture, not an interpretation, is it found in?

Originally posted by Paul R. Burkett
    I have been looking all throught the new and old testement, and I can not find referance to origional sin. What verses of scripture, not an interpretation, is it found in?
    ================================================== ==========

You won't find "original sin" there. Only the concept. Neither will you find "trinity"...just the concept. And several other "....." words but their concept is obvious, more so in Scripture than in interpretation. But you can't pull a concept out of just one or two verses. You have to read and understand all surrounding text.

Text outside of context is pretext.

Proud member of KA Club

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123