Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baptism

Baptism is a simplification of the Jewish purification rituals. It is a SYMBLE of forgiveness of sins. The ritual is not important. The forgiveness of our sins is the important part. Jesus told us how he felt about rituals in the story of the good Samaritian. The priest would not help his fellow man because he had been ritually cleansed. The ritual stood in his way of doing the right thing.

Don't get too hung up on rituals. Everytime you say the Lord's Prayer, you are in effect being baptised
    If the superheat ain't right it ain't charged right.

I have read several of your recent post, and I do not agree with you. I always am interested in what people believe and why. What church best reflects your beliefs.
    Still learning opinions welcome.

Originally posted by kim
    Baptism is a simplification of the Jewish purification rituals. It is a SYMBLE of forgiveness of sins. The ritual is not important. The forgiveness of our sins is the important part. Jesus told us how he felt about rituals in the story of the good Samaritian. The priest would not help his fellow man because he had been ritually cleansed. The ritual stood in his way of doing the right thing.

Don't get too hung up on rituals. Everytime you say the Lord's Prayer, you are in effect being baptised
    Saying the "Lords Prayer" is a ritual, ya Goof!

Originally posted by 2story
    I have read several of your recent post, and I do not agree with you. I always am interested in what people believe and why. What church best reflects your beliefs.
    I attend the Unity church.

What part do you not agree with? Baptism is a ritual or it is very very simalar to a more complex jewish ritual with the same purpose. Or do you agree that the Rabbi would have done the right thing for his countryman, if he did not hold the ritual in too high regard?

Do you not beleive that baptism is forgiveness of sins?
    Do not beleive asking God for forgiveness is the same thing as being forgiven?

Originally posted by James 3528
    Saying the "Lords Prayer" is a ritual, ya Goof! [/B]
    How can a prayer be a ritual? Rituals are usually done with an audience, prayer are usually done in private (unless you are a Pharisee-type). I know the catholics have lots of rituals, but do they include any prayers?

Forgot. It is James. He is going to read my post over and over again until he can twist it into something he can disagree with.

Baptism is not "forgiveness of sins." Baptism is just a "picture" of what Christ did for believers. It's kinda like a wedding ring. Wearing a wedding ring does not make you married. Not wearing a wedding ring does not make you not married. It is just a symbol. Baptism is the same way. It is a picture of your death, burial, and resurrection with Christ...being buried by water to rising up out of the water. Just a symbol...not necessary for forgiveness or for salvation. Ohterwise, Christ lied to the thief on the cross.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

I believe Baptism to be an ordinance, as is communion. It is something that we have been commanded to do in obedience to God. Communion done for the purpose of rememberance. Baptism done for the purpose of identification, with Christ, Bootlen stated what it picture's. It's roots are in the New Testament a time of transition from the Old Mosaic system, Christ fulfills the Law and sets into place A New Testament. There are a lot of groups that try to make NT. pratice's have a OT root/ counterpart/mystical connection. I have a problem with that, OT and NT stand together, If God links ot and nt together and explains which he has done, great thank you LORD, but if someone else tries to make that link I get a little wary.
    Yes I can be an unbaptised christian,but I can not be an obedient one. Baptism throughout the NT happen to those who have been converted, often within moments of baptism.

that my take, as I study

[Edited by 2story on 08-17-2004 at 12:28 PM]
    Still learning opinions welcome.

Originally posted by 2story
    I believe Baptism to be an ordinance, as is communion. It is something that we have been commanded to do in obedience to God. Communion done for the purpose of rememberance. Baptism done for the purpose of identification, with Christ, Bootlen stated what it picture's. It's roots are in the New Testament a time of transition from the Old Mosaic system, Christ fulfills the Law and sets into place A New Testament. There are a lot of groups that try to make NT. pratice's have a OT root/ counterpart/mystical connection. I have a problem with that, OT and NT stand together, If God links ot and nt together and explains which he has done, great thank you LORD, but if someone else tries to make that link I get a little wary.
    Yes I can be an unbaptised christian,but I can not be an obedient one. Baptism throughout the NT happen to those who have been converted, often within moments of baptism.

that my take, as I study

[Edited by 2story on 08-17-2004 at 12:28 PM]
    ================================================== ==========

Yes, 2story, I agree with you. It is an ordinance and those who are baptised are being obedient...those who don't but are able to are disobedient. But, again, baptism is not a prequisite for salvation. The only requirement for salvation is to receive the gift...to believe on Christ as Savior.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

When you are born again through baptism, what is happening? I thought the born again people beleived that baptism removed original sin.
    Removing sin is forgiveness of sin, right?

Originally posted by kim

Do you not beleive that baptism is forgiveness of sins?
    Do not beleive asking God for forgiveness is the same thing as being forgiven? [/B]
    I have read a lot of post from you guys on religion, and listen and try to understand.

I am just curious...my understanding is the only way to be saved is to accept Jesus, what you do in your life does not determine your place in heaven. Following the ten commandments only helps your life while on Earth.

So why bother to get baptised? For that matter why bother going to church?

Seriously...why do people pray for forgiveness if it doesnt matter if you sinned or not?

Also, why do people pray for people that have passed on? Doesnt matter does it? I mean once they passed they passed right?

Ahhh... just tossing things around in my simple head...
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

KIM,
    how do you handle what Jesus taught when he said we must be born of the water and the spirit?

HVAC, would it bother you if you cheated on your wife and she just cried all the time? (If not you are cold hearted)
    Shouldn't it bother you more if you cheated on God and hurt his feelings?
    Would you not bend over backwards to ask your wife's forgiveness?
    Shouldn't you ask for God's forgiveness too.

Originally posted by woods mech
    KIM,
    how do you handle what Jesus taught when he said we must be born of the water and the spirit?
    I thought I made that clear a long time ago. Jesus preached forgiveness, over and over and over and over again.

Being born of the water, baptism, is a ritual to signify the removal of your sins.
    Being born of the spirit is allowing God into your heart so you can forgive others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast