I helped a friend of mine this weekend to put a walk-in cooler together.From supplyhouse they gave him a crankcase heater among other stuff.Its a pumpdown sytem.I wired the t-stat to control the LLSV.And LPC to pumpdown.I try to convince him that we don`t need to install the CCH.What say you?

use it
    Don't interrupt me while i'm talking to myself

You need it
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Originally posted by hvacbear
    You need it
    If CCH is needed to keep the R22 out of oil during of cycle,the LPC is gonna ensure it anyway.So tell me why you think I need it?

In low temps, it also keeps the oil warm and "oily." Sorry, I forgot the term.

It's the same thing as a block heater for a truck.

Originally posted by dorrmann
    In low temps, it also keeps the oil warm and "oily." Sorry, I forgot the term.

It's the same thing as a block heater for a truck.
    viscosity?

Yes viscosity, some refrigerant will become entrained in the oil and the heat will drive it out. Also solenoid valve fail so a crankcase heater is a little insurance.
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

In a perfect world , compressor valves don't leak, solenoids don't leak, customers don't shut off breakers by mistake.

Sure, a continuous pumpdown system controls liquid migration on the off-cycle, but it doesn't mean chuck the cch. It's cheap insurance as bear mentioned