R134a RECHARGE REFRIG

Angry

Ok so I'm new to this... I do have both universal and MVAC certifications... I had good training and understand the principles, theory, and practical application I cannot as yet land a job in HVAC but THAT is another story...
    A friend was talked out of repairing a pristine condition 7 year old refrigerator that works on R134a... After beinging it home adding a line tap and finding the pressure low I looked into charging the unit and the "FUN" began...While my R134a automotive gage set yellow line fits the R134a 12oz refrig screw on can/line adaptor there is no way to use the automotive hi/lo line fittings on a line tap and conversley none of the fittings on my regular set of gages fits the can adapter and the hose fittings between gage sets are incompatable... Given that using the gages on other refrigerants is unwanted due to oil incompatability... WHAT or where in the *&^%$#@ can I get a way to put R134a into the refrigerator??? The local supplier just shrugged... I consitered getting a 30lb can of R134a but again it fits the automotive gage set refrigerant can adaptor line.
    I have no mentor to query... Am I missing something is there yet another seperate R134a gage set for non moble refrig/AC systems????? Any and all replies are appreciated just try not to be too sarcastic that's my wife's chosen perogerative.

Originally posted by 24kgold
    is there yet another seperate R134a gage set for non moble refrig/AC systems?????
    Yes.

I just bought the r-134a adapter hoses to hook up to my regular gauges.

Don't remember where, but over the years, I've collected a few brass adapters that fit my automotive manifold and convert to standard fitting and visa versa.
    So they're out there, somewhere.

RERE REGRIG R134a

To jerrycoolsaz

I have a set of "automotive" Refrig gages that have those style fittings the problem is the refrigerator had NO fittings what so ever. I installed a clamp on style tap fitting with this I could read the low side pressure but the yellow hose fittings do not fit on a 12oz r134a tank adapter or 30lb r134a tank that yellow hose adaptor you have for r134a looks like what I need... What type fittings do you install on non MVAC R134a systems that need recharging??? All I have ever seen are the threaded shrader style not any like the r134a automotive snaplock style... While I would like to braze in a fitting to eliminate any seal leakage possable with the clamp on tap currently I cannot afford the nitrogen tank & regulator to do the job right and prevent oxidation of the pipe interior as well as a oxy-acetelene brazing setup... I'LL TRY TO FIND THAT HOSE SET

THANKS!! To one and ALL

You can buy 30LB jugs with the 1/4" flare fitting that will hook up to a regular hose set. What you really need is an acme to 1/4" flare adapter. You can buy these pretty cheap at your local supplier. Who is your local supplier? Any supplier worth anything should be able to help you out with this one. Also consider the fact that the refrigerator may not be low on gas. I do a lot of domestic refrigeration and find that the condenser coils under the fridge gets plugged up with dirt and lint. This overheats the refrigerant and oil and creates a lot of sludge. This sludge restricts your cap tube and causes your lower suction pressure. I usually tell my customers to just buy a new fridge, buy some will pay to fix it anyway. How low is low on your suction pressure? At 0 degrees you will see 6.3psig and at -10 degrees you will see 1.8psig.

Also you can lease nitrogen tanks from your local welding supply house for dirt cheap. You don't need oxy/acetylene to braze, a good turbo torch with mapp gas brazes small stuff very well, I use my turbo torch all the time with silvaloy 15% brazing rod.

Talking

try your local matco truck, they have a vacuumn pump adapter for r-134a that will solve your delimma- about $10-$14 . you can get r-134a at autozone in the 1 lb cans you can also get a tap there. man,I love that smilie !