open-loop heat pump

open-loop heat pump

I have an open-loop heat pump on a houseboat. The system pumps water thru the system whenever the HVAC unit calls for heat/cooling. The unit is a 3 Ton Carrier and has a water line set with an internal restructor/limiter. The water flow is restricted to approx 6 gpm. The pump capacity is 7.5 gpm max. The system works great for cooling, but shuts down in the heat mode when the inlet water temp drops to approx 48 to 49 degrees because the outlet water temp drops to freezing. The cooling air temp differential across the coil is approx 20 to 22 degrees.

Question: If I remove the restrictor, the flow will increase. Will this have an adverse affect on the cooling mode? By increasing flow, the heating inlet/outlet temp differential should be reduced; this should allow the unit to operate with colder water in the heat mode ... will this have an adverse affect on heating?

Your unit must be going out on low presure in the heating mode. Increased water flow might help. In the cooling mode the unit might be effected by reduced capacity. If you can put a flow valve on the system to monitor the performance versus gpm.

Hello Air Doctor,

Thank you for your input. The fault code I am getting when the unit shuts down is freeze protection. The water temp leaving the system down to 32 degrees. That is why I thought increased flow might help keep the temp above freezing.

Yes increasing the flow should prevent it from freezing. Try it and let me know.