Thread: Basic questions

Could someone please recommend a source/site for a basic overview of HVAC products, both residential and commercial. I am completely ignorant on the topic and am trying to get a handle on the product mix in the industry. For example, I do not know the difference b/w split-type, multi-split type, VRV, packaged air conditioners, etc. If someone could take the time to provide a brief overview in layman's terms that would also be much appreciated. thanks

It might be faster to tell what your needs are,and go from there.

Really looking for an overview of how AC units work in order to understand the industry product mix for a client. Not engineering details. Just high-level information such as- what is the difference b/w water cooled vs. air cooled? What is the differece b/w packaged vs. split type, etc.? I was just hoping that someone might know of a source or site that gives a high-level breakdown of these things. Thanks.

I guess you can go to conractors by state
    section to look.Some of those have pages to look at. Maybe Someone will respond with the info.There are alot of "brand-name"dot-coms . Is that a help?

Any basic air conditioning textbook contains that very information. Modern Refrigeration & Air Conditioning has chapters on each type plus you can look up each of these types in the index and go right to the descriptions.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.

Smile Any information you need is right in your neck of the woods

Norm Chris is right.All yo have to do is go to barns and nobles and request 1 out of a 1,000 selections of HVAC books. The one I recommend for you is 4th edition Whittman and Johnson, "air conditioning refrigeration technology". For a "brief overview", I can provide that. The difference between air and water cooled units is the condensing operating temperatures. On a water-cooled unit, which employes a cooling tower, the refrigerant condensing temperature should be 10 degrees above the "leaving" cooling medium (the cooling tower water).On air cooled units, the head pressure is determined by adding 30 degrees over the surrounding (ambient) air. Another distinction is: water cooled units are more efficient at rejecting heat, thus making the evaoporator more readily to absorb.Water-cooled units operate at a lower head pressure than air cooled units, maybe a 20 degree difference.Typically,you will be looking for a 18-20 degree split on a evaporator of either water or air cooled. SPlit is the return air minus the discharge air. Variable air volume systems incorperate what we call potentiometers which are used to vary the speed of a fan in a vav box. More for zone control. I've been doing this for 3 1/2 years and you have to read, read, read! What makes a descent technician is being able to detect by listening, touch, smell, and sight. Calculations can be used if you do not have gages at hand just to get an estimate of how things are with the unit. For those calculations, all that's needed is thermometers and a pressure/temperature chart.Split system are distinct from self contained (packaged) by location of condenser. Split has condenser located outside of structure where the technician has to field install interconnecting piping. Packaged units consist of the condenser and evaporator housed into one chasis and the interconnecting piping is done by the manufacturer. Any information you need is right in your neck of the woods.