What's it worth?

Hmm

What is a tech with 2 years experience in residential worth? No call backs, complaints, or anything of that nature. Just curious, and looking for sombody to give an experienced answer.
    Thanks,
    Nathan Chapman

What it's worth is what your area pays for your experiance.I have been doing this for a long time and always have call backs,not many but everyone in this field will have them. we all have problem cutomers even if they seem friendly to you but soon as you leave they call the shop. You are asking a difficult question here and if you say you are that good , can I hire you to teach me what you are doing that is so right? No pun intended but lets face it this is not a perfect world or perfect profession to work in. to many variables.

Perhaps you should read the threads a little more carefully, "dude". There isn't any variation with any posting I've made. I've been in the field for 2 years, like it or not. Never have I served jail/prison time, and I never said I did. Was on probation but was released early, and I never said anything about 1 year. I was looking for a general answer to a general question, not for someone to play investigator. Sorry, but I'm very consistant. It's part of being honest. Thanks for your input.

-Nathan

[Edited by nwchapman on 08-16-2004 at 01:19 AM]

Originally posted by lakeerie
    I have been doing this for a long time and always have call backs,not many but everyone in this field will have them. we all have problem cutomers even if they seem friendly to you but soon as you leave they call the shop. You are asking a difficult question here and if you say you are that good , can I hire you to teach me what you are doing that is so right? No pun intended but lets face it this is not a perfect world or perfect profession to work in. to many variables.
    I'm not trying to be rude, but I have yet to have a call- back. I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and neither is the world I live in. You're absolutely right, in time I'll have a call-back. I try my best every day to do the best job I can. I don't walk away from a unit until I've got it the best I can get it, and it shows. I'm one of the very few left of a dying breed....somebody who still beleives in quality work. I'm just curious what the 2 years of experience is worth with few problems, most employers will pay accordingly. Thanks for the post anyway.

-Nathan

Sorry I came across as having a chip on my shoulder. Bad decisions at 18 years of age don't dictate who I am now. I'm not actually in the St. Louis area (when did I say that?) I work in the northeast Arkansas (Bentonville/Rogers) area, mainly. I live three miles across the Missouri line. I took your post the wrong way, and I apologize.

I appreciate you responding to my messages, and you have been helpful. NW AR is booming, but there just isn't enough money being made by grunts like myself. I used to be a safety inspector for Ameren UE/CIPS so I know my way around STL. There is a lot of money to be made there, but I don't like the thought of living there. My wife wants to live in Oklahoma(speaking of horrible wages)because of home school laws(long story), and I could work in Springdale, AR for Sears. They (sears) seem to pay service tech well (14.63 or something) compared to everywhere else around. I was making 12 in Searcy when I worked (work is VERY scarce there), and now I'm taking a beating by being salaried (they saw me coming I guess). Something needs to give. I'm fairly patient and I feel confident that all will be well, I just hope it's soon. The events from the past month has really put a strain on my home life. I apologize again for being arrogant, that's really not fitting of my personality. I've just been stressed of my life in general.
    -Nathan

I am from Cave City Ar. Learned the trade in the Memphis area. I was making 17/hr in Batesville until I started my own company. I am not very familiar with your situation but it seems like you are finding the worst of the worst when it comes to employers. I have never seen an area that a good tech couldn't expect to make at least 15/hr and more like 20+/hr in an area like NW Arkansas. I hope it works out, keep in touch