Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Has anyone heard of a company (former Carrier engineers?) that is marketing a retrofit kit to convert Carrier 19D series chillers to R123. I was told of such a company, perhaps with manufacturing facilities in Mexico. They sell the compressor, starter and micro to install on existing unishells. Will be coming out with Trane kits in the future. Any links or info would be appreciated.

Yes they are out of Denver I believe. Pretty pricy. Id go with a York code kit, Optiview controller and a VFD. Ill get there name in the next day or so if I can. Problem your gonna have will be the strait tubes in the machine. Youll need to retube it with enhanced tubes to get the same tonnage out of it most likely.
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

Do what we did, took a 200 ton Carrier unishell and put a 200 ton trane compressor on the top and retrofitted it to 123 and upgraded the controls to UCP2.Was wonderfully quiet and worked great.

conceptseti.com

Hmm

I must admit that at times retrofits really baffel me.

Why would anyone spend what amounts to basically the price of a new chiller on their old one. Why not just replace it and get a totally new chiller? I can perhaps understand in a very few instances where installation is a real issue.

I do know of one chiller that someone tried to put a different compressor on and had serious problems, from what I heard and saw. They ended up tearing the chiller out after doing the compressor, oil pump, and control panel thing. Seemed like a really bad decision to me!!!

I must be missing something. Never loved a chiller that much. It's not family!!

When it's days are over give it up.

I've serviced centrifugal chillers in industrial applications that were manufactured in the late 30's and early 40's, so when manufacturers says they have a life expectency of 40 years I believe it. I would agree with you lew2 but in some instances where the chiller was dumped in the basement and the building built around it the installation of a new one can be very expensive. Also a chiller installed in the late 80's or early 90's still has a considerable life expectency. JMHO

Thanks for the link BobbyM.
    Did Trane actually sell you a complete compressor AC? I assume it was a three wheeler.

Yes , it was a cvhe and it was a tristar conversion.In this application in a hi-rise downtown the cost would have been significant as it was built into the building.It would have cost thousands of dollars to remove the side of the building and interior walls as it was in the center of the building and it runs great.

Wink

Their is a guy in Monterrey, Mexico by the name of Donald hayes, that apperently does retor fits on Carrier older machines and also add heat recovery heat exchangers to add tonnage to the older chillers. I believe he is an ex Carrier engineer. He also installs VFD on any Centrfugal chillers. I'll look up info............

Was there any issues with the motor cooling on the trane compressor to the carrier unishell

No there was no problems at all, To tell you the truth I have not been back to that site for over 6 years so can not remember how the motor cooling lines were run.I think we utilized the carrier motor cooling lines and I could not see why that would not work.This could be a very reasonable conversion to do if you had a small frame three wheeler compressor lying around.It was a nice conversion and very energy efficient.

What is a Tristar conversion AC? never heard of it.Is it similar to Yorks upgrade with the compressor, starter and micro. Did your carrier have the plate that the original compressor was mounted on or was it a newer version minus the plate. Do you have any photos that you could post?

It was a tristar conversion and this chiller did have the plate.I can't get pics as I have moved but I maybe able to get some.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast