What exactly are the requirements for an entry level position in the HVAC field? I have taken most of my classes at Tarrant County College going towards my associates in applied science ( HVAC ) and planned on going to school full time, but my wife and I are about to lose our place of residence and I am in dire need of an entry level position now.

I have completed about 46 hours so far, but have no field expirience... not sure whether I should pursue the HVAC entry level job ( which I realllllly want to do ), or just go for a tech support job where I actually have expirience.

Im confused... any clarity would be appreciated.

Wink

1. The williness to understand that you are not going to make much money starting out because you aren't necessarily "making" much, if any, money for the company.
    2. Determination to learn as much as you can and ask as many questions as you can.
    3. Finish school and pursue all learning opportunities.
    4. Be able to handle the "dirty" work. If you are a helper, and you don't come across as being eager to jump in and do whatever is asked of you, then what use are you.
    5. Expect to be treated like a respected co-worker. I don't ask someone to do what I wouldn't do. A good trainer or "boss" should show you he appreciates your help by helping you out too.
    6. Be able to asacrifice if the work load does decrease. This summer has been slow for A/C around the metroplex. Many mediocore techs are being let go due to limited work.
    7. Do whatever you can to prove you have potential and desire to grow in this filed.

As far as technically getting into the field...

1. Try to find a company with a quality staff. There are many out there that don't really technically know that much. It's scary.
    2. Call on many companies and explain your previous work history and how it might benefit the company. Discuss your eagerness to learn and help the company.
    3. Be patient. IMO, a good company will not turn you loose until they are confident you are ready to be on your on without direct supervision (someone riding with you). You must prove yourself, but not be big headed. Making many mistakes can get you in trouble fast. You may loose the trust of your boss in thinking he made the right decision as an investment in training you. Most people have expectations that the person they train today will remain with them for a while. Others assume they are a stepping stone and won't help you thast much. If you go in saying "I want to learn this so I can start my own business soon" You might as well say I am helping you today and will be your competition tomorrow."

Stick it out. It will take some time. If you are sincere and truly want to make this a long-term career, you have to put your heart and soul into it.

This field has been great to me and my family for nearly 60 years. There are days I wish I had tried to get into something different, but every job has drawbacks. With this, you can do residential or commercial. Work for a private company or city or school. Work for small or large comapny. Do install, service and or maintenance. Many many avenues you can take..

I hope this has helped. Good luck in school, I may have talked to you there before