Thread: Service dpt.

Service dpt.

Was wondering if anyone knows of a good book or reference for building a service dpt.. I was recently asked if I would be interested in being the service manager for a growing service dpt. We have good techs, but we deal with mostly warranty and start-ups. With me being the only commercial tech. I want it to be extremely professional that is automous from the sheet metal division.

Quote Originally Posted by CAOFGJ View Post
    Was wondering if anyone knows of a good book or reference for building a service dpt.. I was recently asked if I would be interested in being the service manager for a growing service dpt. We have good techs, but we deal with mostly warranty and start-ups. With me being the only commercial tech. I want it to be extremely professional that is automous from the sheet metal division.
    Apply for pro membership. The best book. Will not compare, to what the experienced veterans here will tale you.

Quote Originally Posted by pilotlight View Post
    Apply for pro membership. The best book. Will not compare, to what the experienced veterans here will tale you.
    Will check it out. Thank you.

it will depend on whether you are resi or commercial. two different animals. lots to be learned around here in appropriate zones. you need to establish methods, policies, rates, documentation, and so forth. look around here for discussions on things like "parts markup" or " how much do i charge" for basics. many members have posted about these types of topics. by the way, to be autonomous, you really need to seperate the business units asindividual companies under one name. for example, joes sheetmetal, and joes hvac service. this way if one falters it wont bring down the other. establish rates that are fair for your market, dont try to earn business by being low priced player. clean trucks, uniforms for service techs, there is just soo much to speak about.