venting
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: venting

where I work they have a recovery machine but refuse to let me use it. I am told to get a 5 gallon bucket with some water and let the freon out in the water. This can't be legal but they do it all the time. I really feel bad about this. when done they just pour the water and freon and whatever else comes out on the grass next to the unit.

Section 608 of the Clean Air Act
    The law prohibits anyone from "knowingly venting ozone depleting compounds used as refrigerants into the atmosphere while maintaining, servicing, repairing, or disposing of air conditioning or refrigeration equipment." Violators can be fined up to $25,000 a day for non-compliance. It also requires the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) to develop a program of certification for both technicians who work on appliances that contain refrigerant gases and equipment used to drain the gases from appliances prior to disposal. You need to be certified to work on the above. I would get another job,then report the business to the local district attornys office, if you get court you also may be held as an accessery. This is a bad sitation!
    For more information on the Clean Air Act, contact the Stratospheric Ozone Protection Bureau of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency at 1-800-2961996.

[Edited by shogun8 on 08-08-2004 at 12:39 AM]

A bucket of water ?

Your kidding, right ?

freon in water

yes I have the certification. type universal. worked hard for it. closed book exam. I really want to keep this job. And do things right. I let them release the freon and I go somewhere else. Then go back to install a new unit. When I can I pump the unit down. Which they do not. My boss just cuts the line and out it goes. Short of finding another job any suggestions on what to do? These are on apartments townhomes and duplexes. 2 and 2 and half ton units.

Recommend you print out this email and lay in on the boss' table during lunch.

http://members.aol.com/Hartforth/EPA.html

If he ask you if you did it, say

"Yes Sir! I respect this company enough to give it my best. That means trying to protect it. Fines are up to $25,000 per day per release. Knowingly violating the law is criminal meaning fines and maybe going to jail. Is it really worth it?"

Or, you can send me the company's name and phone number. I'll take care of this for you and ensure you don't get nailed.

Alex

I would find a new job. If they do not want to follow the guidelines set forth by the EPA what else are they doing that is agaist the law or not up to code. You can be fined and/or go to jail and loose you certification if you get caught up in this. If you get caught not following the rules and try to say they won't let you use a recovery machine you are at fault not them. They may get fined but looking at what could happen to you would make me want to find anther job with a reputable company.

Well, you have a couple of choices here.

• Voice your concerns to your boss and get a recovery machine to follow the law. (or see below)

Turn them in and collect a finder’s fee from the EPA, then get out of the business or out of town

Leave this job and go somewhere else that isn't a hack shop then keep your mouth shut

Buy one yourself and use it responsibly

Last but not least... go with the flow, get caught and go to jail.

That about covers it.

A bucket of water will only catch the oil but they toss it in the grass anyway. Glad that refrigerant oil is not considered a hazardous material too.

You are in a bad situation dude, Got to make a hard decision here and live with it.

What kind of sh*t outfit do you work for ? I'd start sending out resumes asap!!

Ah yes, the old water bucket trick

For years throughout the 70s and 80s, we would dump refrigerant in five gallon buckets of water when opening up water-cooled self contained computer room units where refrigerant odors and vapors would set of smoke detectors and were objectionable to the people in the room. The chemical formula changes of course, but to what you would have to do a scientific study. We had left those buckets full of water for a day or two and noticed no discoloration or odors later on. It was a matter of necessity to do this. And of course if it neutralizes the chemical formulae of refrigerant to a point that it is not harmful, they would never approve such an easy way to stop ozone depletion. There have already been billions spent on this issue. Can you imagine no more recovery machines as just one issue, not to mention the scientific community not going far enough with their studies to find something so simple.

Re: freon in water

Originally posted by thewoodman
    where I work they have a recovery machine but refuse to let me use it. I am told to get a 5 gallon bucket with some water and let the freon out in the water. This can't be legal but they do it all the time. I really feel bad about this. when done they just pour the water and freon and whatever else comes out on the grass next to the unit.

is this at a union shop? if so, notify your hall.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Thumbs up thanks all

I appreciate each reply about the bucket of water and freon. I am glad to know this is not acceptable practice. Seems maintenance men in this area don't take epa very seriously.
    I just got this job three months ago. Last one was the same way. They had the recovery machine but would not get a recovery tank. I fought them and lost that job. I took pictures of the units they took out and set behind the maintenance shop. Should I turn them in or what. I just feel like epa won't pay attention.

And yeah I guess I will get my own machine so I can continue to do the job legally.

you are gonna go out and buy a recovery machine at your cost? to work on their equipment? will they reimburse you for the cost? who pays to fix it when it breaks? sorry to say i'd be venting before i'd pay for a recovery machine for THEIR units. start looking for a new gig.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast