Thread: orfice sizes

anybody know the proper size orfices for 2 ton through 5 ton split systems. heat pumps and ac. please if you dont know dont reply. no guesses, if i wanted guesses i would go over to the residential form.thanks guys good site hu

airworx

>>>>>please if you dont know dont reply. no guesses<<<<<

You ask an ambiguous question and want no guesses? Your question is called an "enigma" as there is no answer.
    Every manufacturer will send an orifice installed and some send an extra one for a different set of load characteristics. And that is for every size of equipment.
    The answer is that you would have to go to every job you want an answer for and the take a full set of system readings and then you may have your answer for each one individually.
    Since I "know" this to be the case, I replied.

well i know that systems require differant orfices but need a general range. like a bryant 4 ton uses a 82 orfice and a 3 1/2 ton is 79 i think. because a lot of 3 1/2 ton systems will have a 4 ton coil and usually the installer didnt change the orfice. so you have a 4 ton orfice on a 3 1/2 ton unit.

You need to get the model number of the condensing unit and install the orifice that matches the condensing unit.

>>>>You need to get the model number of the condensing unit and install the orifice that matches the condensing unit.

Given the fact the airflow across the evaporator is correct.
    In other words, the evaporator load. the factories don't know how well an installing contractor did his job at the design and installation phases. That's the main reason one does not know what orifice is truly required until after start-up and a full set of reading are taken. Then you have the pleasure of pumping down the system, in many cases, and putting in a different, or correct, size.