Thread: york ycaj eprom

york ycaj eprom

hello gents,, im sure everyone is busy in summer heat, I have a YCAJ that found with opto board unplugged, replugged and found parameters need redone , what was strange is refrigerant first parameter r22 or 134a said "255"?? . at any rate Im under impression old 1998 back up battery died, and eprom fail due to this, and new eprom is on the way from factory, should be ok after reprogram? any input appreciated stan
    Keep it simple to keep it cool!

I am having a brain freeze the opto board is? If i recall and hope i am corrected if i am wrong, the eprom is burned in and isnt volatile memory majority of your info will come already on the eprom. You will have to enter setpoints water or brine ect
    If you need any Lit on this machine PM me
    Dont do i i have done lol Replaced micro board use the old eprom and installed it upside down on the new board
    Talk about trying to read chinese There is a small indentation on the eprom as well as the micro board match them up before installing chip. Radio shack or an electronics store sells eprom pullers, and a wrist strap is a good idea too

Eproms don't fail because the battery dies. If they did, they couldn't come to you pre-programmed in their nice little package.

hmmm, makes me think. what I dont know is exactly how much logic is built in to "motherboard" what I do know is parameters were lost , and Im guessing that is attributed to extended power loss , it is possible some one gave up with same problem and left unplugged . and what is clear is that the first parameter , refrigerant, appeared corrupted to me "255" or something and no response to scroll to set r22, all buttons work out of program mode , thank s for input stan

Electronics have made parts changers out of all of us to an extent, no matter how much we want to deny it. If the board worked in the beginning, was left unpowered for an extended (?) period in a unit mounted outdoors with all kinds of weather/temp/humidity swings, then moisture getting into the board thru the cracks and fissures in the coatings can cause it to do some weird things. I've had new boards in their original sealed packages that rode on the truck with me for 2 years or so, and when installed, you'd have thought they were programmed in some unknown language. Shorted sensors will do the same thing and make you think the board is toast.

YCAJ I thought was only made for r-22 post Model number of chiller. If this is the case and you have an option of 134a I would suspect the wrong eprom or chip on Microboard.
    May be worth verifying . The eprom should be inexpensive,worth considering picking one up.

yep its on the way , i talked briefly with a york tech , and he agreed the plan , i have an adjacent chiller ,but dont wanna mess with it ,ie swapping , I am klove not a parts changer etc , Ive had trane eprom fail in past hope this is same,and Ive learnd the hard way that the warning about discharging yourself is valid. processor and keypad all seem great , maybe I will try disconecting all peripherals to motherboard when I get back .should be interesting one ,have a good weekend guys!

Never said you were a parts changer. I said, quoting an old service manager of mine that's forgotten more than you or I will ever know, "Electronics have made parts changers out of all of us to one extent or another whether we like it or not". If that statement were not true, you wouldn't be buying an eprom that you can't prove will fix the problem before you ordered it. If someone has changed the eprom previously and put the wrong one in and you order the new one from that part number, you're going to be right back in the boat you're in now. I'm not saying the eprom isn't defective - just that there may be other things to look at and consider before making a decision.

pringlel: There are YCAJ's that have 134A in them. Wasn't very common, but York did put them on the market at one time.

pringlel: There are YCAJ's that have 134A in them. Wasn't very common, but York did put them on the market at one time.[/QUOTE]

Good to know thank you sir

got there today and put new one in , was about to give up trying password, quite tricky because it doesnt tell you it registers , when you have correctly entered it , all ok now, the eprom didnt cost much , and thinking deeper about what you said klove, possibly the old was good , but program is lost from motherboard during long power outage? stan

The microboard contains a real time clock integrated circut chip with an internal battery back up the purpose of this battery back up is to assure any programed values ( setpoints , clock , cutouts , etc. ) are not lost during a power outage or shutdown peroid.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !