Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new mechanic

Scrapper,

I used to have a guy thay worked for me that had the same attitude you do. I am not trying to be rude by real world truth is you should not be in a van and out on your own after 10 months. If your company thinks you are above average learner and wants to put you in a truck you should be following another tech from job to job, which would not make sense sine it would be a waste of money (gas). My guess is you are in a truck because they need a body. The guy that used to work for me was in an apprenticeship program (4th year of a 5 year union program) used to complain about the other techs to me and thought he could do better. He was a hard worker so I gave him a truck to see what he could do. Too many call backs later I gave him a choice. Come out of the truck, ride with another mech and take his lead from him to refine his skills or find another company to work for. He chose to leave. Since then his attitude has not improved and and due to that fact he has worked for 5 different companies in two years. You need to change your attitude, go to school and get some training. Word of advice, you will only get out of school what you put into it.

Serve man,
    Thanks for the reply.Whats wrong with my attitude?I want the customer to get the best product and service for his buck.90% of the installs I do are carbon copies of each other.For the 10% that are unique, I dont claim anything. My co .sends a more expierienced mech. crew and I help them,watch them,and learn.

there in lies the problem (no certification needed to be a mechanic)In Canada there would be no way you would be able to do that.

Scraper
    In you first post I took your attitude as "been there, done that". I know you said the mistkes you make are from never running across the problem before and basically makeing a best guess fix. As long as you learn from your mistakes and apply it to the next situation you knowledge will keep increasing. Like alot of people have said before it is best for some one as new as you are to the field to keep quiet and learn as much as possible. Just my advice. Know one likes the new kid to tell them how to do their or thinks they can do a better job and will take offense and will be unwilling to help you when you have questions. I know I will probably hear alot of flack about saying this but if you want to learn and go far, try to join a union company and go to the union trde schools. Beats any college coures or trade school out there.

Again no offense but some one as new as you to the field should never be out on your own. It will only cause problems for the company and you when you can't solve or fix the problem they won't care or remember you are new, just that you did not solve/fix the problem and they had to send some one else out. Also the customer will complain to the company you work for and say that they don't want you back wich again makes you look bad.

[Edited by servman on 08-08-2004 at 07:59 PM]

Low temp,
    What do you mean "therein lies the problem".There is really no problem.Just because you are good in the classroom does not always translate into apptitude or ability.Most drivers who get into accidents have gov. certified drivers licences. That being said, I am striving for more knowledge in the field and am planning to go to school.I would love to take a fresh new "graduate" into the attic with me here in summertime Florida so he could show me some advaced skills in mastic or duct repair.All kidding aside lowtemp,I sometimes make small mistakes, but I do a good job and make my company an ungodly amount of money.

Serveman,

I failed to mention that when I get in the least possible jam, I have huge backup from personell that have experience in the field.Any prob, I just call ..yes I am green,but smart enough to know How green I really am.If I cant fix the prob. I grab the horn.

its not a matter of learning classroom skills.Its more about liability.If something should happen and you had no license(especially a gas license)the courts would hang u and your employer out to dry. This has happened on many occasion here in Ontario Canada.

I hear of this often. I've heard of a few residential companies in my area that will hire two guys on Monday. Put them with an experienced installer on a specific type of house (new installation work) and the next day, those two guys are working on their own at a duplicate house a block over. These subdivisions have provisions so that the houses on a single block don't look too much alike. Once the experienced installer has shown the newbies an example of each house type, he turns them loose to do the rest! Once they've finished that subdivision, they've seen ranch, cape cods, colonials, etc. so the company figures they're then ready for changeouts. Very soon, they throw them into service. Companies are rushing guys that aren't ready into service because they're isn't anyone out there. I think it's only going to get worse before it gets better also.

Hey Lowtemp, I was trained in Canada and now work in the US.You don't even need a gas ticket down here to work on gas and that is why you always see buildings and houses explode down here,NO CERTIFICATION NEEDED.It sucks because all of us guys that did a 5 year apprenticeship get lumped in with guys that get a van after 2 days and go F stuff up.

Scrapper just study as much stuff as you can stay on this site, there are alot of smart people hear. 4 bucks an hour is alot of money and most people would take it too( I don't care what they say here) I don't blame you one bit. However you will come to a point that money isn't everthing but thats for another thread.

As far as out on your own..well your probally not ready but you have to start somewhere. As long as you don't get in over your head its all good. We all had to start somewhere. As far as your company goes if they train you (and will pay for it) stick around a while and take in as much as you can. If they are hacks at least you will learn how not to do things You can always move to bigger and better things. The real experience is what its all about. Most guys probally got thrown in a truck just like you and had no choice but to learn it. Just don't jepordize anyones saftey and make sure to learn the right way to do things (like the guys on this site) and you'll be fine.

One word of caution.. be carefull about bashing other techs as it will come back to bite you. Your were not there and don't know the whole story. As for the people giving you a hard time...relax a bit he made it to this site and thats more than probally more than 90% of the people in our industry would do so lets all relax and try to help. Scrapper good luck with your new career!

Paul

hey acjourneyman i guess the americans need an organization like TSSA down there to straighten things out.

On my first day, I was given a Van, Cell, and pager. They sent me out and said call if you have any problems. I think the look on face was probally priceless.
    Mind you I was still in school too. You just need to ask ?
    and do your best to use your common sense. If you dont know something, CALL SOMEONE! If you dont have a cell phone......get one. Most techs, (unless their a-holes),
    would much rather answer your questions, than have to answer your call backs because you were to embarassed to call someone.

This business requires (no titty babies)........thats what i was told anyway. Take it for what its worth! LOL

Hang in there........and learn, everyday. If your not learning....your not caring.

[Edited by brettln on 08-09-2004 at 07:43 AM]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast