Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new mechanic

Hello all,
    Its been a very interesting experience so far!I started as a new helper last oct. not knowing a dern thing about a.c.Last month they put me in my own truck and said get buisy.Im the mechanic all the techs cuss..they go on my call backs because of obvious simple mistakes.But, the mistakes I make are on things I have not yet encounterd in the field.So far, Ive never repeated a f up..I was thrown under the bus because my co. was short an installer, and they offered me a $4 raise.Hell I may not yet be a pro, but damn , who amoung you would not take another $4 ?I would like to say this..yes there are alot of call backs because of faulty installations.No arguements here.But ,to defend mechs like myself who do give a crap about their work,I do have to do cleanups sometimes behind lazy, crappy(GREEDY) service techs as well.LIke doing a full change out and then seening yellow jumped to white at the thermo...hmmmm.like replacing a c/u and having a leak at the handler..hmmm .One job we did was a change out on a down and out family who had no $. The A/h/u/ was put in and when they went to change the c/u/ it was noticed that one leg of the 220 was disconnected at the box DAMN!OOPs,What am I supposed to do guys?To be honest most of the techs that work for my co. are honest ,decent folks,whom I give the utmost respect. But there is that small % that will sell someone new product because there a/h/u/ has a friggin scratch in the paint job.

Let me get this straight! You have 10 months in the biz and 30 days in a truck. You say you are the MECHANIC all the other techs cuss because you have made in your words obvious simple mistakes on things you have not seen before? That is not why they are cussing you,you have no business second guessing anyone.As far as yellow being jumped to white that means nothing w/o identifying what terminals they were landed on.Plenty of us have and will continue to turn down a $4 dollar per hr raise, we know why, you don`t!Finally you ask what you are supposed to do? Work on your attiude, be quiet and pay attention.

you can't be serious.

Senior Tech Guest
    You have a lot to learn...and apparently so do your co-workers. Their is only 3 key ingredients to succeed in this business...education (training), honesty and integrity.
    Find these 3 and you along with the company you work for may survive, don't....and you'll be working for "Hacks Are Us".

You have no business being on a truck

And your boss is a friggin idiot for letting it happen.

how can u be licensed after only 10 months. It took me 5 long years and 3 sessions of trade school to get my license. I think you should still be calling yourself an apprentice. Ive been in this trade 15 years now and im still learning.

scrapper... that says it all right there

You say you are the one that other techs cuss due to what ever, ok... sounds like we are going to give you a little practice here.

or... you could do this.

Hang in this site, read everything you can put your hands on and show the other guys (you know, the ones that you work with and respect now, you know, the ones with all of the call backs) how to do it right.

Let's see just how much of a crap you do care, then, get back to us in 5 or 10 years.

Thumbs down

Another simple life.
    Be aware of electricity and fan blades.

i think this is why you have to go through 5 years of apprenticeship before you become a union journeyman. there is a huge difference here.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

He already works for Hacks R Us

i wonder why scrapper hasnt replied to any of these posts.I think he realizes he is a joke and hit the high road.

Originally posted by tinner73
    i think this is why you have to go through 5 years of apprenticeship before you become a union journeyman. there is a huge difference here.
    What about non-union guys ? Are they made to serve an apprenticeship? Are guys down there in the U.S. allowed to just buy a truck and start wrenching compressors? Scary
    I work with the Chiller Whisperer...

First off all, I am ,as I said, a NEW Mech.I am paid to install equipment.I am not a service tech.I dont claim to be either.I think a few individuals took some sort of mis directed offense ,in my initial post, I might have come across in a dis respectful tone. If this is the case ,Im sorry.
    Second, I am not a hack.Pointing out some questionable bad things that I see in the field ,does not make me a hack either.It makes me honest.

I was NOT laying some blanket inditement on service techs, Im going to be one some day hopefully,I was just pointing out interesting practices OF A very FEW Techs(2 out of about 15) in my co.My co. is not a hack outfit and it annoys me when I see the possibility of our rep. being soiled by lasiness of a few people.
    Third, in my state, I dont have to have certification(to be a mech) as long as my company does.

I am a good installer. I was being sarcastic about call backs.I take pride in my work and the customers appreciate the way I show them and their homes respect and do my best.

Yes I took the truck for $4 more an hour,and in my humble opinion it was money well spent by the co.

To those who posted replies of encouregement , thank you.Yes I am new,and always willing to listen to those with more knowledge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast