Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I think i live in THAT neighborhood

I live in a pretty nice part of town, not real expensive, right next to the highest priced neighborhood.
    Where i lived before wasnt so nice, it wasnt bad, but it was a starter home. In the kind of place you kept everything locked up.
    Since ive moved up here ive actually had more things stolen, maybe i was lulled into a false sense of security since it was nicer.
    I guess my point is, burgleries are up 73% more than last year.
    Im begining to wonder, if we dont all live in that neighborhood
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

I tell young techs all the time, lock your vehicle.............don't matter what part of town you're in................you'll get ripped off
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

that only makes sense. The higher wealth areas have more and better things to steal.

times are bad and burglaries are going to be up. people just cannot find jobs once they lose one. unemployment has run out for many. when pushed, people will do whatever it takes to feed themselves or kids. its just the way it is. by the way, i happen to live in a very nice part of town. homes are still selling in my development for over a half mil no problem, taxes are five figures, and I make damn sure i lock my doors on all of my vehicles. funny thing is though, that i do not lock my home, ever. wouldnt even know where the keys are located, its been ten years since ive seen them.

Wink

Guess I'm really fortunate. Where I live there is on thief about three blocks from my home. Useless high school dropout, lives with mom and gramma has had a bunch of jobs, but prefers to stand on the sidewalk in downtown and hang with his homies. Was leaving the neighborhood one day about noon and saw him standing with his thumb out, so stopped and picked him up. Once he was in and securely belted, I headed for town. I started the speech by calling him by his first name, which I had read in the local newspaper crime report section. The speech went something like this:
    "Ryan, I know who you are and I also know that if something comes up missing in the neighborhood, either you or your little brother probably are responsible for it. So, just to clarify my opinion of the situation, if I have anything come up missing, I'll just come to you and kick the sh-t out of you because you are over 18 years old, and they can't prosecute me for hurting a minor. I won't call the cops, I'll just come and find you, and hurt you. You have a nice day now and remember, I'm watching you. Bye now. Been in the area now for over 14 years,,,,don't lock the house, the shop,,,or the vehicles. When the kid isn't in jail, i see him a lot on the street or other places, and he drops his eyes and won't look at me. I like it this way.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

There is a different type of thief out there now. They are full time, professional and know that their chance of getting caught is minimum. And if they do get caught, the rewards are still greater then working for a living.

Day time, night time, while you are home, while you have company..it makes no differenct to them. Alarms are just a timing limit for them.

And the national network of fencing their stolen goods is at a all time level in the fact that a lot of the time you will never ever see your stuff again as it's shipped across state lines in a matter of hours.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    There is a different type of thief out there now. They are full time, professional and know that their chance of getting caught is minimum. And if they do get caught, the rewards are still greater then working for a living.

Day time, night time, while you are home, while you have company..it makes no differenct to them. Alarms are just a timing limit for them.

And the national network of fencing their stolen goods is at a all time level in the fact that a lot of the time you will never ever see your stuff again as it's shipped across state lines in a matter of hours.
    Does this work pay as well as HVAC? On call rotation? Hmmmm. No body would suspect the HVAC truck!
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    I live in a pretty nice part of town, not real expensive, right next to the highest priced neighborhood.
    Where i lived before wasnt so nice, it wasnt bad, but it was a starter home. In the kind of place you kept everything locked up.
    Since ive moved up here ive actually had more things stolen, maybe i was lulled into a false sense of security since it was nicer.
    I guess my point is, burgleries are up 73% more than last year.
    Im begining to wonder, if we dont all live in that neighborhood
    Who wants to rob from the poor? They have crappy stuff. That is why thieves roam the nice areas (that don't have security guards or gates). buy a crappy old tool shed and put it out back with a busted lock. Then hide all your rich stuff in that!

I hate a thief.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Quote Originally Posted by uniservice View Post
    Guess I'm really fortunate. Where I live there is on thief about three blocks from my home. Useless high school dropout, lives with mom and gramma has had a bunch of jobs, but prefers to stand on the sidewalk in downtown and hang with his homies. Was leaving the neighborhood one day about noon and saw him standing with his thumb out, so stopped and picked him up. Once he was in and securely belted, I headed for town. I started the speech by calling him by his first name, which I had read in the local newspaper crime report section. The speech went something like this:
    "Ryan, I know who you are and I also know that if something comes up missing in the neighborhood, either you or your little brother probably are responsible for it. So, just to clarify my opinion of the situation, if I have anything come up missing, I'll just come to you and kick the sh-t out of you because you are over 18 years old, and they can't prosecute me for hurting a minor. I won't call the cops, I'll just come and find you, and hurt you. You have a nice day now and remember, I'm watching you. Bye now. Been in the area now for over 14 years,,,,don't lock the house, the shop,,,or the vehicles. When the kid isn't in jail, i see him a lot on the street or other places, and he drops his eyes and won't look at me. I like it this way.
    So you feel good about reinforcing this kid's beliefs that he is worthless, and that he can never get beyond the label that he has earned, thus giving him every reason to keep doing exactly what he has been doing? Just saying. If I had given a crap about what others thought about me when I was younger, I would have given up as well. I did some stupid crap when I was a kid, and the general opinion was that I was a good for nothing. I managed to grow out of it, and have become a law abiding productive individual.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbaron View Post
    So you feel good about reinforcing this kid's beliefs that he is worthless, and that he can never get beyond the label that he has earned, thus giving him every reason to keep doing exactly what he has been doing? Just saying. If I had given a crap about what others thought about me when I was younger, I would have given up as well. I did some stupid crap when I was a kid, and the general opinion was that I was a good for nothing. I managed to grow out of it, and have become a law abiding productive individual.
    It's nice you grew out of it. Did you ever make restitution to the ones you wronged?

So nice the people that have respect for one and another have to put up with those that might grow out of it.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbaron View Post
    the victim role. age old classic. I am glad you have grown out of it. But it's not any one else who is responsible for your younger days but you. Has nothing to do with the line of thought your going with here.

Get a decent size dog and treat it well and this animal will deter most any theif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast