I've been wondering, does anyone out there acid clean condensers themselves, or do you leave that to water treatment companies? If so, how do you, what type of pump do you use? If not, why not? What about these heat pumps? I'm looking for any input, thanks.

I do mine myself. I have a little submersible acid pump with washing machine hose for small condensors and a submersible 1 1/4" sump pump for big condensors.They both work great. I also hang a bolt in the solution, when copper appears on the bolt then I stop.

We do them ourselves

Originally posted by cardinal ac
    I do mine myself. I have a little submersible acid pump with washing machine hose for small condensors and a submersible 1 1/4" sump pump for big condensors.They both work great. I also hang a bolt in the solution, when copper appears on the bolt then I stop.
    Copper on the bolt? What's does that indicate?
    I work with the Chiller Whisperer...

2 dissimilar metals in an electrolytic solution - one metal an anode, one a cathode. Metal from the condensor is carried by the solution back into the bucket where it collects on the anode (steel bolt) - a good indication it's time to stop.

don't forget to rinse when done or that solution will continue to work eating away the fins.

We built a cart with a vat on it. Wheel it into the mech room and hook er up and turn on the pump. We can test the acid in the vat and tell if it is still effective that way. I think we have a thrush pump with a brass impeller. Nothing real fancy just some properly rated hoses and fittings a few valves a 8 gal vat and a pump.
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

A regular steel bolt ? thats a good idea need to try it on the next one I do.

I`ve never seen a water treatment co do acid cleaning...We do the same as hvacbear. Mount an old bromide barrel to a hand truck with a pool filter type pump below it along with associated pvc piping (return from the condenser into the top of the barrel), boiler drains to connect hoses. As for the bolt use the litmus paper that comes with the chemical and you`re done when the solution stops weakening. Neutraize with baking soda, rinse with fresh water,drop heads and punch tubes.

Thanks for the info, I know it's not a big deal, for some reason manager is using personal safety issues as way out. I think he doesn't want to have to do any more work. I think that we could do a better job than I've seen.