Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 16
  1. #1

    Need help with thermostat problem ASAP

    Hi, not a pro and wondering if there's anything I can do to troubleshoot before calling an HVAC company...

    A tenant says that for the past several days they have been setting the thermostat to 74 and the system cools the place to 56. I haven't been able to get down there to take a look myself.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Ocean Pines, MD
    Posts
    7,034
    You can see how bad they damaged it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    SouthEast NC ICW & Piedmont Foothills
    Posts
    7,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekind View Post

    A tenant says that for the past several days they have been setting the thermostat to 74 and the system cools the place to 56.

    Thoughts?


    I'd have to see that to believe it
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekind View Post
    Hi, not a pro and wondering if there's anything I can do to troubleshoot before calling an HVAC company...

    A tenant says that for the past several days they have been setting the thermostat to 74 and the system cools the place to 56. I haven't been able to get down there to take a look myself.

    Thoughts?
    Sounds like a DIY thermostat replacement job gone wrong. I wonder who will pay the utility bill?
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

    Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

  5. #5
    No, the tenant didn't "damage" it.

    No, there hasn't been a "DIY thermostat replacement job".

    Haven't had any problems for years, until about a week or two ago, a power surge caused a problem. The HVAC company was just there to fix that.

    Seriously, is there something I can do.

    Three people looked at it, it's set to 74 and it's freezing cold.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekind View Post
    No, the tenant didn't "damage" it.

    No, there hasn't been a "DIY thermostat replacement job".

    Haven't had any problems for years, until about a week or two ago, a power surge caused a problem. The HVAC company was just there to fix that.

    Seriously, is there something I can do.

    Three people looked at it, it's set to 74 and it's freezing cold.
    Call the service company back, should be an easy fix.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

    Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

  7. #7
    "Call the service company back, should be an easy fix."

    They will charge me $228.

    Please, what is the "easy fix".

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    109
    A hammer will fix anything if you hit it hard enough. Could be anything as there are no "easy fixes," in our line of work. If your service company was out there and fixed the problem you shouldn't have to call them back. If they were out there and didn't fix the original problem, it's called a "call back," and most companies wouldn't charge you to fix the same thing twice.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    A Lan Far, Far Away in Podunk, Georgia
    Posts
    234
    Bekind,

    Not often do we hear about a cooling system working TOO good.
    If it's cooling to 56 that's fantastic.
    Now what you need to do is call a service company to troubleshoot why the thermostat isn't controlling the system.
    That's the same thing several people have said but it's the best advice possible given the information we have.
    As said above, this should be an easy fix.

    BTW, Do not be surprised if the problem is not the thermostat though.

    If the HVAC company just worked on it they shouldn't charge anything to come back out and check it for you.

    We all have things go wrong we don't anticipate at times and that's part of the service we provide, to come back and make it be right.

    I WISH my system would cool to 56 on these hot and humid summer days.

    THe problem does not sound complex but all anyone could do is guess at this point and a guess really won't help you.

    Good luck with it, neighbor.
    The reward for doing a thing well... is to have done it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East of Lyndon's
    Posts
    525
    I would question the 56 degrees!!!! Easy way to check it out....remove the thermostat!! If it shuts off, replace the thermostat. That shouldn't be too hard of a job if it isn't a heat pump system or a high end thermostat.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    7,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekind View Post
    "Call the service company back, should be an easy fix."

    They will charge me $228.

    Please, what is the "easy fix".
    $228 sounds better than a tenant refusing to pay rent.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendo View Post
    I would question the 56 degrees!!!! Easy way to check it out....remove the thermostat!! If it shuts off, replace the thermostat. That shouldn't be too hard of a job if it isn't a heat pump system or a high end thermostat.

    Maybe ,maybe not.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

    Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    19,566
    Seriously, take the thing off the wall and disconnect it, and see if the system shuts off, if not, you have done all we would risk here in advice.

    At that point, yes, call your service company. Something is telling the system to run, and if that thing is not the stat, then it is having a problem that is beyond website coaching.

    If the system shuts off, replace that stat, once you have determined that there is not a setup program or user programming issue.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event