Updated: 05:12 PM EDT
    McCain Condemns Anti-Kerry Ad
    Republican Senator Calls Attack 'Dishonest and Dishonorable'

WASHINGTON (Aug. 5) -- Republican Sen. John McCain, a former prisoner of war in Vietnam, called an ad criticizing John Kerry's military service ''dishonest and dishonorable'' and urged the White House on Thursday to condemn it as well.

The White House declined.

''It was the same kind of deal that was pulled on me,'' McCain said in an interview with The Associated Press, comparing the anti-Kerry ad to tactics in his bitter Republican primary fight with President Bush.

The 60-second ad features Vietnam veterans who accuse the Democratic presidential nominee of lying about his decorated Vietnam War record and betraying his fellow veterans by later opposing the conflict.

''When the chips were down, you could not count on John Kerry,'' one of the veterans, Larry Thurlow, says in the ad. Thurlow didn't serve on Kerry's swiftboat, but says he witnessed the events that led to Kerry winning a Bronze Star and the last of his three Purple Hearts. Kerry's crewmates support the candidate and call him a hero.

The ad, scheduled to air in a few markets in Ohio, West Virginia and Wisconsin, was produced by Stevens, Reed, Curcio and Potham, the same team that produced McCain's ads in 2000.

''I wish they hadn't done it,'' McCain said of his former advisers. ''I don't know if they knew all the facts.''

Asked if the White House knew about the ad or helped find financing for it, McCain said, ''I hope not, but I don't know. But I think the Bush campaign should specifically condemn the ad.''

"It was the same kind of deal that was pulled on me."
    -Sen. John McCain

McCain, chairman of Bush's campaign in Arizona, later said the Bush campaign has denied any involvement and added, ''I can't believe the president would pull such a cheap stunt.''

White House spokesman Scott McClellan declined to condemn the ad. He did denounce the proliferation of spending by independent groups, such as the anti-Kerry veterans organization, that are playing on both sides of the political fence.

''The president thought he got rid of this unregulated soft money when he signed the bipartisan campaign finance reform into law,'' McClellan said. A chief sponsor of that bill, which Bush initially opposed, was McCain.

In 2000, Bush's supporters sponsored a rumor campaign against McCain in the South Carolina primary, helping Bush win the primary and the nomination. McCain's supporters have never forgiven the Bush team.

McCain said that's all in the past to him, but he's speaking out against the anti-Kerry ad because ''it reopens all the old wounds of the Vietnam War, which I spent the last 35 years trying to heal.''

''I deplore this kind of politics,'' McCain said. ''I think the ad is dishonest and dishonorable. As it is, none of these individuals served on the boat (Kerry) commanded. Many of his crew have testified to his courage under fire. I think John Kerry served honorably in Vietnam. I think George Bush served honorably in the Texas Air National Guard during the Vietnam War.''

Retired Adm. Roy Hoffmann, head of the Swift Boat group, said they respected McCain's ''right to express his opinion and we hope he extends to us the same respect and courtesy, particularly since we served with John Kerry, we knew him well and Sen. McCain did not.''

McCain himself spent more than five years in a Vietnam prisoner of war camp. A bona fide war hero, McCain, like Kerry, used his war record as the foundation of his presidential campaign.

The Kerry campaign has denounced the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, saying none of the men in the ad served on the boat that Kerry commanded. Three veterans on Kerry's boat that day - Jim Rassmann, who says Kerry saved his life, Gene Thorson and Del Sandusky, the driver on Kerry's boat, said the group was lying.

They say Kerry was injured, and Rassmann called the group's account ''pure fabrication.''

The general counsel for the Kerry campaign and the Democratic National Committee sent television stations a letter asking them not to run the ad because it is ''an inflammatory, outrageous lie'' by people purporting to have served with Kerry.

Hoffmann said none of the 13 veterans in the commercial served on Kerry's boat but rather were in other swiftboats within 50 yards of Kerry's. The group claims that there was no gunfire on the day Kerry pulled Rassmann from a muddy river in the Mekong Delta and that Kerry's arm was not wounded, as he has claimed.

08-05-04 16:47EDT

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

McCain is not a true republican, he is a true American. Just because he will not stand up for political crap does not make him a bad guy. He does not agree with all the political crap out there. He supports Bush for president. Why do you want him to lie as well and say all republicans are perfect?

I just hope the next president doesn't mess stuff up too bad. McCain still has a chance to straighten some of it out when he start to serve in 4&1/2 years.

By the way, only an ignorant party follower will not realize the way both Kerry and Bush played the system during that war.
    If the superheat ain't right it ain't charged right.

Yeah, Where does he get off having principles and ethics?
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Not much of a politians then is he.

There is the problem. If he was a politian, the republican groupees would be worshiping the ground he walks on instead of Bush. Now they are chastising him for having strong character.

But he is a human being, so he will probably be a great president in 4&1/2 years.

Look at what we have here

Updated: 03:36 PM EDT
    McCain Emerging as Major Force in Bush Campaign
    By Steve Holland, Reuters

WASHINGTON (Aug. 19) - Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain, once courted by Democrat presidential candidate John Kerry, is emerging as a major force in the re-election campaign of President Bush, who vanquished McCain in the 2000 Republican primary.

Getty Images
    Sen. McCain and President Bush leave Marine One in Waco, Texas, to board Air Force One en route to Albuquerque, N.M.

Republican officials said plans are in the works for McCain to appear with Bush on the campaign trail during the week of the Republican convention in New York that will nominate Bush for a second term. Then the plan is for them to campaign together immediately after the convention.

This comes after the veteran senator traveled with the president last week to Florida, New Mexico and Arizona and spent the night at Bush's Crawford, Texas, ranch, where they are said to have gotten along famously.

"It helps having him stand by my side," Bush said during a stop with McCain in Niceville, Florida, last week.

Rick Davis, who was McCain's 2000 campaign manager, said McCain and Bush are getting to know each other better and have spent more time together in the past month than in Bush's entire term.

"No doubt Bush is discovering that McCain has a lot to offer," he said. "The more you get to know the guy, the more you're going to love him. I think the Bush people have finally figured that out."

Bush and McCain fought a bitter Republican primary battle in 2000 that strained relations between them. And McCain, who has always had a maverick streak, has never been shy to question some of Bush's policies.

Just this week he voiced concerns about Bush's plan to bring home up to 70,000 U.S. troops over 10 years from bases overseas. "I hope as some critics allege this is not a retreat to 'Fortress America,"' he said.

ENORMOUSLY POPULAR FIGURE

McCain, a former Navy pilot and Vietnam prisoner of war, has also called on the White House, to little avail, to condemn a television advertisement that sought to tarnish Kerry's military service record in Vietnam.

But McCain showed his Republican loyalty by resisting what those close to McCain said were feelers by Kerry to be the Democrat's vice presidential running mate.

The Bush campaign has recognized McCain as an enormously popular figure within segments of the Republican Party as well as among independent and swing voters who may determine the outcome of the closely fought campaign.

"McCain continues to be a dominant force in the presidential race as he reaches out to undecided voters, Republicans, Democrats and independents like no other elected official," said Republican strategist Scott Reed.

Bush campaign spokesman Terry Holt would not comment on McCain's travel schedule with the president but said the senator was a "great asset to our campaign effort."

"We're always grateful to Sen. McCain when he's able to help the president on the campaign. He speaks with a clear voice about what it's going to take to lead this country over the next four years," Holt said.

McCain is to address the Republican convention on its first night, on Aug. 30.

A person close to McCain said the bitterness of the past between Bush and McCain has been left behind.

"I think everyone, principals and consultants and staff and supporters, are all looking forward, not backward," the source said.

08/19/04 12:13 ET

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

[Edited by rob10 on 08-19-2004 at 06:42 PM]

I like McCain because I think he always tells the truth. He hasn't got a prayer at being president for that very reason.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rob10

Updated: 05:12 PM EDT
    McCain Condemns Anti-Kerry Ad
    Republican Senator Calls Attack 'Dishonest and Dishonorable'

Well with McCain out that leaves you, James3528, sodadude, woods mech, benncool, Paul R. Burkett, bootlen, spots, Irascible and infwsdm best of luck Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Seriously. Somebody should pull that bucket off johnI's head so he can see what's really happening.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

I am voting for Bush because McCain is supporting him. McCain is an idealist. If he can support Bush, I can too.

These manipulative political parties, what a mess. I would not pick either candidate based on what I see in them, but I got to vote for somebody. Who's manipulation do I want to beleive. I beleive the manipulator supported by a man of principles, John McCain.

I think he can beat Chaney, Kerry and Hilary togather with one hand tied behind his back. HE WILL BE THE PRESIDENT IN 4 YEARS.

Well, McCain would be far better than anyone the dems have to offer...except Zell Miller. The rest of them I don't think I'd want for dog catcher.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

McCain is not a true republican, he is a true American. Just because he will not stand up for political crap does not make him a bad guy. He does not agree with all the political crap out there. He supports Bush for president. Why do you want him to lie as well and say all republicans are perfect?

politics as usual.
    what is a true republican?

Well with McCain out that leaves you, James3528, sodadude, woods mech, benncool, Paul R. Burkett, bootlen, spots, Irascible and infwsdm best of luck Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

don't forget about me and the other milliones of folks that haven't bowed down to closeminded folks!
    i guess it is inevitable that some will not even remotely think for themselves and that they just rather complain.

These manipulative political parties, what a mess. I would not pick either candidate based on what I see in them, but I got to vote for somebody. Who's manipulation do I want to beleive. I beleive the manipulator supported by a man of principles, John McCain.

is this always the case? what leader is not a manipulator? i wonder what our forefathers would think about our elected manipulators?
    i wonder if they ever decided not to vote because the condidates were unprincipled, unlikely. on the contrary, there are always principle people, but with politics is just about impossible to stay the course due to compromise.
    and if someone who did stay the course, maybe McCain, i seriously doubted, but if they did, they would be a far rightwing bigot whitemale religious fanatic repressive and regessive nut who wouldn't change, at least according to the religious far leftwing nut, progressive in their rearward ways. they would yell out loud "they're a homo-pho partisan wacko".
    so, are the left principled?

but that's why they develope this wonder government, so we can vote.

I think he can beat Chaney, Kerry and Hilary togather with one hand tied behind his back. HE WILL BE THE PRESIDENT IN 4 YEARS.

isn't it Cheney? anyway he's not going to run. this is Kerry's last try, who really wants him back?
    it's probably Sen. Hilary vs. Mrs. Kerry the next time round.
    really, i think Hilary and Mrs. Kerry have more power over John Kerry and John Edwards without even using their hands.