Hmm

I have installed a new 3hp compressor, replaced a burn out. I flushed the reciever, accumulator, evaps, and condensor. Installed a suc. and liq. line filter/drier's. I drained the oil from the old compressor to get a guesstimate on the oil level in the hermetic compressor and it just does not seem like a great deal of oil. I was always told that they put more than you need in there. I measured +/- 16oz. Would that be suffecient? Could that be a good canditate as to why the one burned out in the first place. Any help appreciated.

Damn. If u call United Refrig. or the mfg. they can tell u what the oil charge is supposed to be. Simple. I look them up all them time.
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

oil level

If its a Copeland can the oil charge is the second line on far left of the name tag. But Rayr is right of course.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

They do not put more than is needed!!!!

the low level in the old compressor means too much
    oil in the sytem. your new compressor will not last long

you can confirm by checking amp draw against performance curve (don't use RLA, that will mislead you)

This is quite common, and causes as much as 30% failures
    after a change out.

So do they put in what should be there or do I need to add more oil? There was nothing in the box the compressor came in. However there was a sheet instructing me to install the new electrics and rewire the compressor. So I figured if there was an oil augmentation, they would have included something to tell me how much to put in for the lineset and condensors. Plus, I did the swap at 10pm.. They needed it up come hell or high water, they had about $50,000 worth of stuff in the cooler, and it had been off for 24+ hrs already. Plus in my real world job, I work with a group of trolls that refuse to use a micrometer when we do A/C. I'm the 'black sheep' who attempts to find the correct answers and try to do it correctly, the first time, if I can.

[Edited by atufano on 08-04-2004 at 06:03 PM]

compressors are always properly charge with oil as per model label on compressor. no need to add.

Originally posted by rocket
    compressors are always properly charge with oil as per model label on compressor. no need to add.
    Thank you very much. I have scheduled to take the compressor down again saturday to check the oil for acidity. I will call techumseh and find out the proper charge so I don't overcharge the oil. Or should I let it go longer? I want to learn as much on refrigerationon, but I have no one who is reliable, except this message board, to learn refrigeration. Again, thank you very much.

Thumbs up

did the compressor have a tag on it compressor shipped without oil? If it didn't you should be good to go.

Originally posted by to cool
    did the compressor have a tag on it compressor shipped without oil? If it didn't you should be good to go.
    No, there were no tags on the compressor or in the box, with the exception of the new electrics.
    Knowing that the compressors are good to go is a real relief. Thanks. Though, I hope that it is a good to take the compressor down this saturday to check the oil for any risidual acidity or contaminates, and change out the filter/driers as well for good measure. Would performing this be premature since the compressor was changed out on tuesday?

Again, thank you very much. -Al