Question

Hey guys, I have a customer with a couple of ALS195AS27 air cooled screw chillers, one of them has both compressors bad, sounds like they are grinding themselves to pieces when you run either compressor. My question is, I have seen some replies here that talk about some kind of retrofit for the oil system (adding a seperator possibly) does anyone have any info on this. I have heard of a CEK retrofit that I believe stands for cond enhancement kit, are these the same, and do I have to have McQuay service perform these retrofits or can anyone do them.

Thanks,
    Dude
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

Wink

A big 10-4 ! Check the gates and see if they are bare metal,if so you will also need to do a clean up on the system before changing the compressors to be sure you get the gate material out of the system. I was told that it used to be that only McQ will install the CEK kits but I am not sure if it is still like that.

[Edited by refrtech on 08-03-2004 at 05:16 PM]

Theres a certain way youll need to clean up the system which is rather tedious and install the CEK. Currently McQuay will not sell this to contractors so they will have to do it. Whats your email addy? Ill send you some info on it.

Originally posted by absrbrtek
    Theres a certain way youll need to clean up the system which is rather tedious and install the CEK. Currently McQuay will not sell this to contractors so they will have to do it. Whats your email addy? Ill send you some info on it.
    I knew we could depend on you abs !! lol YOU DA'MAN !!!

I had the same problem as you Dude and McQuay wanted to cut me out of the loop by insisting they do everything. The gates were not so bad as yours though. I installed a copeland screw, made a couple of control modifications and piping modifications and now have a real nice chiller. Something to consider.

Definitly something to consider!!!

There are alot of replacement screw manufacturers out there. That single rotor screw with the plastique gaterotors is junk. IMO You could replace both screws with non McJs for the price McQuays gonna bend you over for one.
    Originally posted by hw chiller man
    I had the same problem as you Dude and McQuay wanted to cut me out of the loop by insisting they do everything. The gates were not so bad as yours though. I installed a copeland screw, made a couple of control modifications and piping modifications and now have a real nice chiller. Something to consider.

Thanks Abs, use this e-mail address, its about to be history soon as all it gets anymore is a ton of spam so I really dont mind posting it.

slick813@ameritech.net

Thanks again.
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

Abs..at the risk of my post being deleted, any info you could send me on these chillers would be appreciated. My company just picked up an ALS155. alawrence1@cogeco.ca
    I work with the Chiller Whisperer...

Thought I would post a follow up.

As it turns out, Abs was right on target ( as usual ), McQuay has to do the retrofit, the clean up of the system is additional at T&M cause who knows how bad the thing is till you open it up. The thought of cutting the condenser header out and cleaning all those tubes makes my head hurt.

So bottom line is by the time you figure their quote for the retrofit, 2 100 ton compressors, and our labor to replace compressors, who knows how much for the cleanup, we are within about 20K of buying a new chiller. So if anyone needs any parts from a 5-6 year old McQuay let me know, it is heading to the scrap yard soon.

Thanks to everyone for their help, Abs hooked me up with a pretty cool option from http://www.mcscontrols.com/ but the customer decided to replace instead of repair.

SONC!!!

My computer crashed so I cant get any info off of it to send you. When its back up I will send it.
    Originally posted by sonc
    Abs..at the risk of my post being deleted, any info you could send me on these chillers would be appreciated. My company just picked up an ALS155. alawrence1@cogeco.ca
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

Might be interested in the micro with the input and output boards, ribbon cables, display board, exv driver boards and both exv. Don't need any sensors or contactors. Let me know what you want for the package as I may use them to control a chiller I am planning on making. Need to check with the customer to see if he wants to spring for the controls at this time.

LOL, abs..I just wiped my hard drive about 20 mins ago..Trojan virus knocked me right off the net. Saved all my pdf's though. Any info you can retrieve and send is welcome, at your convenience.
    I work with the Chiller Whisperer...