Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    219
    Got a sales call from a company wanting to set us up with a 25 mile radius territory to serve as their rep for airborne application of a mold spore, dust mite, etc, etc treatment for HVAC systems.
    They supply the chemical that will treat about 275 systems, according to them. It cost $280.00, but you will make a fortune by applying it to the homeowners system at a substantially higher fee than the $1.00 per treatment. HA HA
    Just curious if any feedback or experience. I told them no thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,959

    Hmm

    Use your own judgement on this -

    When I hear a claim that they are going to kill or 'sterilize' mold spores, I think they have VERY little credibility. Mold spores survive for hundreds of years under almost any conditions that people or building materials will tolerate. If you want to kill mold spores (not growing mold), it takes some very destructive chemicals or heat or light or whatever. The customers or the building or you/your employees are not likely to tolerate those.

    Actively growing mold can be killed with less harsh methods. Cut off the water source and it goes dormant.

    Before I would get too deep into this, ask to see the EPA registration of the product. If it is not registered for use EXACTLY as they are proposing, it will not be legal to use it. At least not in the US.

    [Edited by cxagent on 07-20-2004 at 08:41 PM]

  3. #3
    Notice what cxagent says, they will be \"dormant\". Most people don\'t realize that mold spores can live dormant for 15+ yrs. and come back to life. Mold grows @ 60% RH dust mites @ 50% RH. Stay 59 and below and it is dormant, proven! Stopping the source is the only way to stop mold otherwise all these fancy cleanings and techniques are all garbage, they do help mind you but you have to stop the source to cure it completely. Old houses w/ crawl spaces you can almost forget it, It is real tough.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    219
    I was more curious if any of you had been contacted by this outfit? I agree, mold issues are something to stay out of.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Huntsville,AL
    Posts
    4,125
    and one may have to have special training just to handle and apply the chemicals! & follow gov guidelines, including a complete paper trail and filing of reports, copies to be kept forever -- check with your insurance agent & expect big $ increase

  6. #6
    SMOKE AND MIRRORS solution imo

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,652
    Bleach kills mold...so I've heard
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    138

    Clorox!

    Can you believe the price these days...almost a dollar per gallon.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    165
    I've received two clls from them, both generated in a boiler room atmosphere. They'd provide no additional information a take it or leave it, today only proposition. I left it.

    There is a new one going around now too, it's some kind of sock of chemicals that you hang in the return plenum and it kills everything that you may be allergic to. Probably just a sock full of high school athlete's athletic supporters, but they want $95 to put it in your system.

    Frank

  10. #10

    Exclamation

    My company received a call most likely from these same people. The product they were selling was Bio-clean and Bio-Breeze if I recall correctly. I was out of the office when they called another rep. of my company bought it after questioning them extensively about it and feeling satisfied with the answers. Once we got it, we could no longer get the people to talk to us. No protective territory, no sales lead. And the directions they give for dilluting this stuff is a joke. You are selling mostly water. I can't say I have tried, I'm afraid to. Even the method in which they suggest you apply it is absurd. Spray 4oz on the evap coil and roughly that on the filter while the fan runs for 4 hours. I lost the money but everyone here learned a lesson from it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event