I have been tasked with finding a solution for my sisters daycare center.

The state came in and did a air quality survey and found the CO2 pretty high (100 little mouth breathers at last count)
    There are six hvac thermostats currently, do they make thermostats that have a programable fan control ?
    Are they expensive ?
    Where would I look for a portable, hand held CO2 monitor ?

Also any solutions or recomendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Sonny D

first, confirm that the problem is with CO2, not CO.

needed is ventilation/ fresh air input. HOWEVER, it must be done properly to insure that the enviroment is made better with reasonable equipment and operating costs and keeping the laws satisfied.

this really is a commercial building category item.

a load calculation is needed: complete construction information, max # adults, max # kids, ave # for ______ hours, the amount of cooking -- breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc, where located, building orientation & shading & wind shielding, present HVAC equip & ducting, etc.

What are the State's requirements?

Meters are available from many industrial supply houses such as WWGrainger, maybe eBay.

Originally posted by sonnyd
    There are six hvac thermostats currently, do they make thermostats that have a programable fan control ?
    Are they expensive ?
    Where would I look for a portable, hand held CO2 monitor ?
    Install a permanent CO2 sensor. Thermostats have controls that can control the fans, but I have no idea what systems you are using on the space. You will need to balance out the system as to not have too much or too little air pressure, maintain OA % and air changes high enough to lower the CO2 without spending a load of cash on energy use to run the system.

Advice? Hire an engineer to analyze the system before you and your sister get in trouble for doing a patchwork fix to get an inspector off your back. And the best of luck should any of those sue-happy parents find out that you are doing the absolute minimum via an unreliable hand-held CO2 sensor.

CO2

The CO2 content in the outdoor environment is generally 325-375 parts per milllion (ppm). It depends on the amount of car and truck traffic and other CO2 producing industries. Genrally anything above 1000 ppm is considered a "possible" problem. Make sure that it is CO2 and not CO (carbon monoxide). I would suspect that IF the State found CO, they would be very concerned and shut it down as a precaution.

Question CO2

I'm sure that in july the inspector is talking co2 and not co. I work for a school system and that is a concern cause all those little bodies are causing the problem.The solution is air exchange which means setting your t-stats to "fan on" instead of on auto so they will run even when there is no call for cooling or heating.I think you are asking if they make a t-stat that can be programmed to turn the fans on and off independent from the furnace or air handler and I think Honeywell makes a top of the line stat that will do that with some tech help.You're looking at close to 2 hundred buckeroos per stat.