Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: swamp coolers`

When I was in Tucson, about 18 years ago, I don't remember any "bleed" built into residential swamp coolers. Note that they did not work well if the humidity gets above about 30%, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by sneezer View Post
    When I was in Tucson, about 18 years ago, I don't remember any "bleed" built into residential swamp coolers. Note that they did not work well if the humidity gets above about 30%, IIRC.
    Where do all the minerals in the water go without a bleed?
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Well, I think that they just slough off the flexible pad. I rented there and I used to go up and drain, bleach and drain my system every weekend. The landlord changed pads every year, IIRC. He took them off at the end of the season and put new ones on in the beginning. This was just before CAP, but I don't think that would make much difference if there was no bleed. It would only make a difference in the bleed rate if one was needed.

The only controls I remember were the float switch on the water supply and a high/low/off/pump switch that controlled the blower speed and turned on the circulating pump. The pump turns on separately so you can saturate the pads before turning on the blower.

OP, there are lots of pictures on the web. Wikipedia has a good entry. If you search for "swamp cooler" or "evaporative cooler" you will get lots of hits. You might get better results if you throw in "parts".

The Wiki has good information about indirect and two-stage which was getting serious discussion at the time.
    Last edited by sneezer; 06-22-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: forgot to mention two-stage and indirect

I don't use any bleed on mine, just a filter in the water line.

Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    I don't use any bleed on mine, just a filter in the water line.
    Must have great water with very low mineral content.

Quote Originally Posted by sneezer View Post
    Well, I think that they just slough off the flexible pad. I rented there and I used to go up and drain, bleach and drain my system every weekend. The landlord changed pads every year, IIRC. He took them off at the end of the season and put new ones on in the beginning. This was just before CAP, but I don't think that would make much difference if there was no bleed. It would only make a difference in the bleed rate if one was needed.

The only controls I remember were the float switch on the water supply and a high/low/off/pump switch that controlled the blower speed and turned on the circulating pump. The pump turns on separately so you can saturate the pads before turning on the blower.

OP, there are lots of pictures on the web. Wikipedia has a good entry. If you search for "swamp cooler" or "evaporative cooler" you will get lots of hits. You might get better results if you throw in "parts".

The Wiki has good information about indirect and two-stage which was getting serious discussion at the time.

Made by MasterCool (Adobe Air), they went BK last year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12