been seeing alot of post regarding scroll failures and have personally seen many grounded ones as of late.and im wondering how long it will be before people start retrofiting these monsters with semi hermetics anyone tried this? could be a $$$ maker if done right (or a disastor)

Originally posted by bobby m
    been seeing alot of post regarding scroll failures and have personally seen many grounded ones as of late.and im wondering how long it will be before people start retrofiting these monsters with semi hermetics anyone tried this? could be a $$$ maker if done right (or a disastor)
    Keep in mind that semi-herms are a lot heavier than tin cans. I'm not an engineer, but keep in mind that the equipment is designed to carry "X" amount of weight in the compressor compartment. This becomes more critical on rooftop units, as there is nothing beneath the compressor compartment and tenant space.
    I'm not crying wolf here, but you might want to rethink that position.

Safety is a concern.

It is critical that these compressors have crankcase heaters on them. And, that they work properly. On start up the liquid refrigerant that migrates to them will wash out the bearings and cause premature failure. A crankcase
    heater(s) will keep the liquid out of the scrolls crankcase.

As discussed in a recent post, just because the end result is an electrical failure you can't assume that the failure is not actually mechanical in nature. The most obvious problem out there is that many scrolls are not equipped with crankcase heaters as stated already. I also recommend installing discharge line thermostats as well.