Portable A/C in house with Central Air

I have a room above the garage as my office. The room is always roughly 2 degrees warmer than the rest of the 2nd floor. However, it is even warmer near the floor since the hot air from the garage below HAS to go somewhere.

I normally keep the upstairs cooling at roughly 76-78 degrees and the bottom floor about the same.
    If I were to use a small portable air conditioner in the warmer room where I work, would it be more energy efficient for me to have the house left at 78 but have the portable in the warmer room to keep it cooler?

I am going on the assumption of that using the large Central Air on the 2nd floor at 74 degrees would expend a lot more energy than a portable in the room set at the same lvl.

Instead of using a portable unit I would have a HVAC company come out an look at your situation, there could be a easy solution to your problem and if not have them give you a price on a ductless system instead of a loud rattler blocking you window. The ductless equipment is much more energy efficient then window shakers and also very quiet..

The absolute best choice is a mini-split (ductless) system. Next best is a through the wall unit, followed by a window unit. Portable A/Cs (the ones that look like dehumidifiers) should be your last option if you can't use a window unit.

Portables are fine IF you get one with an intake pipe and not using room air. Those can cause so much infiltration that it negates any cooling effect in steamy weather.

I cannot use a window unit. The portable I was looking at did have a a part that would be placed in the window. (Something like this http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...s=9&lang=en-US)

I looked up the ductless and it seems intriguing. Its a matter of being able to place in in my office and have whatever piece is outside not be particularly visible. (HOA etc) A matter of cost differential as well. Since i live in Florida , its hot most of the year so a respectable price vs effect would be great.

Thanks for the suggestions, its helped alot.

You would be extremely pleased with the operation of the mini Split ductless. And you HOA wouldn't even know its running unless the grass is tall around the fan. They are very quiet.

You will be a lot more efficient if you turn the main system off while you are working in the office. The ducted system will be changing the air in that room at some level. That will only work if no one else is in the home ;-)