+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maryland blue crabs and BEER

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    Never heard of Seacrets. So you are telling me some Maryland guy is planting palm trees in Maryland?

Guy must have more money then he knows what to do with it. We have them around here in Seattle but they are neon and really cool!
    seacrets.com Check out the home page, that should answer your question.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmira View Post
    Natty boh wit dem crabs hun?
    When I was growing up it was Natty Bo or Hamm's. Old Spice is the taste of Maryland. When I got a little home sick working in Cayman, I found a can of Old Bay and put it on everything to give me a taste of back home. Old Bay is great in scrambled eggs, tuna fish and on popcorn.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes

Poor Kid.

My 7YO nephew from NC is up for a visit with other relatives. I arranged an early morning (4am) fishing trip for the bunch, only the adults made the wake up call. My bait of choice was soft crabs wit some bull minnows and squid as a 2nd choice. We had fun, caught more than a few flounder but they changed the limit to 19" so a bunch a thro backs.
    Anyway, I had my wife get the soft crabs to fish with yesterday morning and a bushel of #1's to cook last night. I had showed the crabs to my nephew Friday night, let him play with the soft ones. He thought they were cool. Warned him @ the hard crabs. But when we were eating the hard crabs last night, he had a latex glove on one hand with a bandage on his finger underneath. My wife explained that he got in the fridge in the garage, reached in the bushel of hard crabs to see the difference between the soft and hard ones.
    He found out in a hurry what the difference was, running around the garage screaming with this crab latched on to his finger! Finally shook it off along with a nice chunk of skin.
    Lesson learned. (I wonder how bad he screamed considering how bad his dad screamed when a big horse fly bit him, I thought he sunk a hook his dam leg).

Post Likes
    When a blue crab latches on, he don't want to let go. I liked to grab one in the basket and slowly raise him up to see how many I get on a string of them latching on to each other.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    As a kid in Southern Maryland we'd take the row boat out to the bay early in the morning to the flats. Get out and use a push net to catch our breakfast and lunch and dinner.

As we would push the nets throught the water not all of the crabs would get into the net but some would get lower into the sea weed and have the net go over them. So as you stepped on them in your bare feet the crab would reach up and throw a vice on your foot with one or both claws.

Talk about hurting. But did we learn to wear tennis shoes, which were new to the world backt then, no! We just kept on pushing.

We also use to use vinegar in some form of salt or oil, I forget now. Getting the crab meat was an art form. Either you learned how to do it or you starved. My cousins learned that I didn't always watch my pile of crab meat so they would reach over and take some when I was not looking. That's one way of eating without all the work.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    Some pics from the H-Talk convention in Baltimore;

Training is important!

Post Likes
    Thanks for those pic's. Dat was just an all out good time.

Post Likes
    nothing made beer taste better than all that Old Bay!
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    I always have a small bowl of white vinegar and old bay...dip the meat in vinegar then old bay. man i'm getting hungry just thinking about it!!! Corona or coors light to drink with it.
    I need some free-zone in my compensate line.
    I am just a cog in the wheel.

Post Likes
    Pics look frickin' awesome! My wife walked in and I told her.
    I wanna go to a place like that to eat!" Buckets of crabs, corn and beer!

Post Likes
    De. contractors association used to have a giant crabfest every summer. bushels upon bushels of crabs, and beer trucks. man that was fun. do they still do it? dont do anyt work down there anymore.

Post Likes
    Yes, that was a fun convention down in Balitmore. We had to take a water taxi to get the restuarant in the pictures. All of the conventions have be fun and of course all different in there own way. EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT THERE IS ALWAYS LOTS OF FOOD AND BEER !!!!

Post Likes
    Sure was steamy in Baltimore today. Even Natty Boh was sweating today.
    103 degrees actaul temp more like 130 on the roof today. Is the world ending and I dont know it??

Post Likes
    If you want to make Crab Chips, just throw regular potatoes in the microwave for 30 seconds and then sprinkle on the OLD BAY. The heated oil in the Chips make the OLD BAT stick.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Some pics from the H-Talk convention in Baltimore;
    What's the name of that restaurant at the Inner Harbor?

I can't tell from the photos.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    What's the name of that restaurant at the Inner Harbor?

I can't tell from the photos.
    Darned if I can remember. It's down by Pier 5, right on the water. The main part of the restaurant is a regular building, we were in a large tent area. Might have been McCormick & Schmick's.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Darned if I can remember. It's down by Pier 5, right on the water. The main part of the restaurant is a regular building, we were in a large tent area. Might have been McCormick & Schmick's.
    McCormick & Schmick's has excellent seafood (and they are indeed on Pier 5). I didn't know they did crabs.

Take care.

Post Likes

I don't mean to PO anyone........

But I'm sure I will!!!

Bought 3/4 Bushell of no.1's of the boat for $30. But he, local crabber wanted $20. I hate to beat someone uo on prices, hate when it's done to me. But $20?
    What sucks is I'm going to a freind's house and we were to steam these puppys up but his Neighbor, another crabber dropped off a 1/2 bushell already steamed.
    Trials and tribulations.
    I'll post some pic's later here of the local festivities, SkipJack race tomorrow I think I will roll out the welcome mat to those here to visit, eat crabs, drink beer and debate Crab seasoning. Oh, and get some fall Stripers!!!
    Any takers?.
    Update-At home we have an old fridge Iv'e used for years for storing bait, crabs, beer. But at this house this is a new refer, guess it was too tight and the crabs suffocated. One PO's SOB I was when I looked in the basket. I have a large cooler I usually use. Lesson learned.
    Last edited by Stamas; 09-07-2010 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Update.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamas View Post
    But I'm sure I will!!!

Bought 3/4 Bushell of no.1's of the boat for $30. But he, local crabber wanted $20. I hate to beat someone uo on prices, hate when it's done to me. But $20?
    What sucks is I'm going to a freind's house and we were to steam these puppys up but his Neighbor, another crabber dropped off a 1/2 bushell already steamed.
    Trials and tribulations.
    I'll post some pic's later here of the local festivities, SkipJack race tomorrow I think I will roll out the welcome mat to those here to visit, eat crabs, drink beer and debate Crab seasoning. Oh, and get some fall Stripers!!!
    Any takers?.
    Update-At home we have an old fridge Iv'e used for years for storing bait, crabs, beer. But at this house this is a new refer, guess it was too tight and the crabs suffocated. One PO's SOB I was when I looked in the basket. I have a large cooler I usually use. Lesson learned.

$30 for 3/4 bushell is dirt cheap.

Some restaurants in my area (Baltimore) want $60/dozen. That's $5 per crab. NFW.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in