Thread: mini split water leak

Post Likes

mini split water leak

i am not a do it yourselfer for starters, i have a mini split that leaks water down the front of the coil and leaks out the front of the unit, i checked the drain line and it is open, coil is not freezing up, refrigerant charge is fine, filter is clean. i sprayed coil cleaner on coil and seemed to help for a day or two, i am at a loss as to why this leaks.any suggestions would be nice. if it makes a differance this unit is located in a subway restaurant.

Post Likes
    one reason this may happen is that the coil is not level, which can be fixed temporarily by propping it up at an angle with a type of shim. What kind is it?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dwepproductions View Post
    one reason this may happen is that the coil is not level, which can be fixed temporarily by propping it up at an angle with a type of shim. What kind is it?
    comfort air, installed 2 years ago with no problems till now

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by workhc View Post
    comfort air, installed 2 years ago with no problems till now
    first thing I would do is make undoubtedly sure that drain line is clear...not sure what most use but I use bluestreak with the help of a vacuum to clean out drain lines, it breaks apart slime sludge, algae, dead frogs n stuff. If you have had it serviced professionally I would call them back and tell them the problem is not fixed.

2 years you may still have a good warranty on it also never hurts to ask them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by workhc View Post
    i am not a do it yourselfer for starters, i have a mini split that leaks water down the front of the coil and leaks out the front of the unit, i checked the drain line and it is open, coil is not freezing up, refrigerant charge is fine, filter is clean. i sprayed coil cleaner on coil and seemed to help for a day or two, i am at a loss as to why this leaks.any suggestions would be nice. if it makes a differance this unit is located in a subway restaurant.
    What kind. Did you rinse?

Post Likes
    first thing I would do is make undoubtedly sure that drain line is clear...not sure what most use but I use bluestreak with the help of a vacuum to clean out drain lines, it breaks apart slime sludge, algae, dead frogs n stuff. If you have had it serviced professionally I would call them back and tell them the problem is not fixed.

i am in the business, i mostly do residential and lite commercial. i know the drain line is open because the drain line runs down the outside of the wall inside the building, i disconnected the hose from the drain pipe and water is flowing fine. do u think that shimming the bottom of the unit to prop the top up more to flow water to the back would help, i have only installed a handfull of these units, there just is not a big demand for them in my area.

Post Likes
    You sure it's not condensation buildup from the refrigeration lines?
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    I have the exact problem, it drains fine through the wall and out. but water drips inside.
    it appears that water droplets slide down from behind of the blower(fan).

Any suggestion? just tilting?
    filter is clean, no freezing. it just drips.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwanny View Post
    I have the exact problem, it drains fine through the wall and out. but water drips inside.
    it appears that water droplets slide down from behind of the blower(fan).

Any suggestion? just tilting?
    filter is clean, no freezing. it just drips.....
    Read above suggestion.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.

Post Likes
    drain line is clear and drains well, the water droplets come from the behind of the linear fan, one by one. it's not that much, but it is enough to wet the floor.

i opened the front cover to see if the pan is full of water, but it's not full either.
    Tilting the unit seems counter intuitive, since the water comes behind of the pan.

thanks,

Post Likes
    Most likely the refrigerant lines run across the unit in the back right below the drain pan. If any of the length of line is exposed to the rooms atmosphere there is a very good chance that condensate will build up on those refrigeration lines if they were not insulated properly.

When the lines get condensate on them the condensate has no place to go except out of the bottom of the unit and onto the wall.

Post Likes
    DeltaT. thanks for your answer.
    First, it's one of two identical units, both are set on the wall in the same fashion (in a different room), but only one drips water.
    I see the refrigerant lines are against the wall(behind the plastic housing), but the water droplets coming from inside blower cavity behind of the fan), it's hard to explain.

if I look up behind of the air guide vane, I can see blower spinning, and the water droplets coming from behind of the fan gliding the plastic wall.

Post Likes
    Best bet is to have a technician take a look. It could be that the drain slope is just not allowing all the water to drain our. Or that the location of this particular unit is involved in way too much humidity from the air or from the refrigerant line hole. Either way you need someone who is familiar with it to take it apart and perhaps re-level or slope the system or repair the humidity input from the walls if that is the case.

I'll bet if you only allow the fan to run at medium to high speed the drip will go away after a while.

Post Likes
    Those are all good points. I will check those out.
    thanks.

Post Likes

Thanks for the tip dwepproductions, the vacuum idea worked for me. I have three of these split units in my house, manufactured by Daikin. A couple of times in the summer each of these units will leak inside. The problem is the algae and slimey stuff that builds up in the drain pan and clogs the drain port.

The first time the mechanic came out for this problem, he showed me that you can blow softly on the drain line and it will break the clog and the stuff usually comes down the drain with the water that is backed up in the pan. However, this week the unit in my bedroom was leaking and blowing in the drain did not clear it. There was a little drainage dripping on the outside so I figured it was only partially blocked. I put my small wet/dry vac on it and it pulled out the blockage and the water from the pan drained out quickly.

Another time a mechanic was out, he squirted some kind of chemical into the drain pan and it immediately broke up the blockage. He wouldn't tell me what it was, but I think it was some kind of caustic. What is this bluestreak you mentioned? I can't find it with a google search.

As a preventative, I've also tried squirting a solution of 30% bleach, water and a few drops of algaecide for pools into the drain pan. That seems to help. Has anyone else tried something like this?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in