Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Im buying a SUPCO VG60 tomorow & would like some advice on how to correctly hook it up.

I used and 4 hose manifold and installed it on the charging hose. The reading you get will be lower than the actual pressure because it's close to the pump and not in the system. Some techs use a port away from the pump to get more accurate readings.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

How can I hook it up with only a 3 hose manifold?

The supco vg60 can install inline. get a spare hose and istall it in one of your hoses. If you have multiple ports at the vacuum pump install it there with a cap on one side of the gauge. If you have a service port available at the unit install it there. You should invest in a good pair of gauges.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Thanks air1 for the advice.Should I buy the black Yellow Jacket heavy duty hoses for my current 3 hose manifold to get a good vac?

Low permeable hoses = better vacuum. That and good seals on everything...hoses, manifold valve packing, etc.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

dont hook it in line, the sensor gets dirty and you get lousy readings, it drift ups make a t adapter with a shutoff, run a vacuum read it and close the adapter.

Don't buy a supco micron gauge, I did and I tried every possible combination and never got good readings, I finally gave up and bought another brand. Do a search here and see what is said about the supco.
    The obvious is obvious

I would get a thermal engineering analog micron guage-they are dependable.
    Take your time & do it right!

Heres what I do. I use a jb micron guage and a yellow jacket superheat kit. The superheat kit is nice because it has all the core replacement/repair stuff with it and also the digital thermometer.

I hook up the core remover and pull the core on the low side, then I take the actual core remover off the body and hook a 5' low perm hose and the micron guage off the back port.(This is the one you can valve off later and also place your thermometer in to read your superheat, so it works pretty slick.)

Then off the side of this same tool I connect my low guage hose to the manifold. On the high side I just hook the high side manifold hose. I then hook the common port to my pump.

I pull to 300microns for 15 mins and then valve off the pump with the guages. If it holds the 500microns I valve off the micron guage at the superheat kit and then let the charge go.

Then you can remove your micron guage and insert your thermometer, reopen the valve on the body and start the unit and set your superheat. When you got that set you valve it off again and reinsert the core remover and reinstall your core. Your all set.

Works pretty slick for me.

Hey, when you get that thing post a new thread on how to clean the sensor.

I lost my instructions about soaking the sensor in alcahol and now I am not sure how. Do you take thing apart or just dunk the bottom part into a tub of alc.?

Oh, and I use low permeation hoses too, they're nice. I also use this manifold set

I have my core removal tool, quick charge, and vac gauge hook up all mounted too. I have ball valves and quick connects too. I'll have to post a pic sometime. It's a heavy set-up but everything is right there and handy.

[Edited by i_got_ideas on 07-30-2004 at 04:12 AM]
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

most micron guages are cleaned with alcohol, put it in and shake let it sit, dump out and let sit for 15 minutes to let it dry out. They reccomend to do this a lot. some man. may not reccomend this but I have had 4 different types and they all say that. I have had no problem with the supco one, and have a/b ed it to the others that I have. I like the ones that give you readings up into the 20,000 I like to see how the vacuum is coming along.
    there but for the grace of god, go all of us

There are no doubt many good micron gauges, but I LOVE this mofo:

http://www.inficonvacuumgauges.com/p...mgauge_292.cfm

It reads all the way from 760,000 microns to 1 micron so that you can really see how it's progressing. And it comes with a two year warranty. It cost me $250 and I had to special order it. But it was worth every dime in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast