Thermal Micron Gauge

I picked up the 14571 today.

Put them on a refrigerant tank with a cps vg2000 and the inficon piolet.
    During the pull down they were all a little off. one I got down 400 microns they were all within 50 or so microns. I dont get these things lol. I didnt think the cps worked properly. when I would shut a valve and see if the vacuum holds the cps would drop a lot on some systems ( like 300 microns). So I was not so sure about it. Thats when I picked up the thermal.

When this thing is in a vacuum do you guys check the calibration and adjust of needed or do you calibrate in the beginning and leave it alone. While i was pulling down the tank the thermal was 200 microns above the inficon. so my buddy checked the calibration and it was off ( I set it wrong ) he adjusted it in the vacuum and it was right with the inficon. once the unit was put back to atmosphere I checked the calibration and it was ok.

Also how do you guys store this analog instrument in you vans to keep them lasting. Im not sure if im having second thoughts....

Thanks fellas
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

I use a Robinair analog for day to day , but I still have my Thermal in the garage.

If my memory serves me correctly isn't there a calibration number stamped on the transducer ? And I believe the instructions say to calibrate the meter at atmospheric pressure..but it's been awhile since I have used it. That Thermal is one of the best available for sure.

The only weak point on these ( or any analog ) is where the wire enters the transducer. As far as storage on the truck...keep it with the rest of your 300 dollar plus test instruments and you'll be good to go.

cps vg2000 and the inficon piolet.

You spelled pilot wrong
    I dont install leaks, i just fix em

Sig line removed by Admin*

Lets see if this gets removed..............

Quote Originally Posted by KLEINman View Post
    cps vg2000 and the inficon piolet.

You spelled pilot wrong
    yea its junk so what does it matter lol. JK JK (look I do use smileys)

Thanks for the reply tech 45. yes you are dead on with the directions.. WHy did you stop using it?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    yea its junk so what does it matter lol. JK JK (look I do use smileys)

Thanks for the reply tech 45. yes you are dead on with the directions.. WHy did you stop using it?
    Not only do i have to calibrate your micron gauge, i gotta fix your spelling.....

The company supplied me with a Robinair 14010A , it is a fantastic gauge. My Thermal has been through hell and back , it needs a transducer and the cable is just beat ( mid 1990's vintage ). The Thermal still works and I do break it out on occasion if I question my regular set up.

what is the lowest you guys pulled the thermal down to? Today I hooked it up to the same pump as last night with the same hose and it pulled to below 200, while yesterday it would not pull past 500 or so. I dont know what changed lol.
    also how do you guys clean the sensor with oil? I cant remember if thermal said to do this or not. Been awhile since I called over there.

what is the lowest you guys pulled the thermal down to? Today I hooked it up to the same pump as last night with the same hose and it pulled to below 200, while yesterday it would not pull past 500 or so. I dont know what changed lol.
    also how do you guys clean the sensor with oil? I cant remember if thermal said to do this or not. Been awhile since I called over there.
    User error?

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    clean it by pouring a little rubbing alcohol in it an slosh it arournd. than let it dry out. i also know some guys have had good luck using brake cleaner but i'd stick with th rubbing alcohol as thats what thermal recommends.

also store it with either the batterys removed or the sensor unplugged

Uh oh. Why leave the battery out or sensor unplugged?