Need Help! Climatemaster vertical unit how to reduce noise?

Confused Need Help! Climatemaster vertical unit how to reduce noise?

Hi,

I recently purchased a high rise condo and there is this climatemaster 816 series vertical water source unit in my bed room that is giving me a big headache. Basically there are two problems,

1. The water pipes, when the valves are on, give this constant clicking noise, like a train running even the A/C unit is off. The noise will intensify during night time when our neighbors downstairs turn their A/C on. We had two different groups of technicians coming check it out. One technician admitted that it is a rare problem but none of them offered an explanation.

2. The humming noise from the compressor is very hard to endure. Is there any possible way to insulate the unit or sort of absorb the noise? More troublesome is that even when we turn off our unit, we will hear very annoying humming noise from our neighbor's AC downstairs. Again both technicians we found couldn't give us any solution.

So basically every night my wife and I are bothered by two types of noises even when the A/C unit is not on: 1, strong clicking noises from the water pipe; 2, humming noise (amplified by our unit) from downstairs. I had to sleep in the living room during a couple of days when it's really bad. Strangely not all the units are like this, the unit one floor above me seems perfect. No noise from water pipe and slight humming sound from compressor which is very tolerable.

I'm very frustrated because I just can't believe there is no solution. So I turn to this forum and hope you guys can at least shed some light on what is going on.

Thanks.

Phil

The 816 is a typically a very good running piece of equipment however I do know the refrigerant tubing will vibrate under normal operation and that if they are not properly "dressed" at time of install, the tubing will hit each other and cause noise. There are shipping brackets and restraints that also need to be removed, if this was not done it will cause excessive vibration and noise as well. As for the water noise, that is totally separate from the unit and could be just the sound of water flowing through the pipes or there could be air in the lines. I would recommend calling ClimateMaster and asking them who a recommended service contractor would be in your area or the local Rep that the unit was sold through so they could recommend one. Good luck...you have a good piece of equipment, it likely just needs to be tuned

Thanks so much for the reply! But can you elaborate on what you mean "dressed"? The bad news is that the contractors the buliding recommended are not that good. The first guy forgot to take the shipping brackets out when he installed the unit and the second group couldn't offer any help rather than using some rubber pads to jack up the unit a little bit.

Also can I ask whether the freon level will cause the noise problem? Both my unit and the unit downstairs recently recharged freon.

for the compressor, are there sleeves on the bolts that are mounting the compressor down? try removing them for have one of the tech remove them. that was a major problem at a hotel near here where all 285 units had to have those removed

let me know

Quote Originally Posted by xymxy View Post
    Hi,

I recently purchased a high rise condo and there is this climatemaster 816 series vertical water source unit in my bed room that is giving me a big headache. Basically there are two problems,

1. The water pipes, when the valves are on, give this constant clicking noise, like a train running even the A/C unit is off. The noise will intensify during night time when our neighbors downstairs turn their A/C on. We had two different groups of technicians coming check it out. One technician admitted that it is a rare problem but none of them offered an explanation.

2. The humming noise from the compressor is very hard to endure. Is there any possible way to insulate the unit or sort of absorb the noise? More troublesome is that even when we turn off our unit, we will hear very annoying humming noise from our neighbor's AC downstairs. Again both technicians we found couldn't give us any solution.

So basically every night my wife and I are bothered by two types of noises even when the A/C unit is not on: 1, strong clicking noises from the water pipe; 2, humming noise (amplified by our unit) from downstairs. I had to sleep in the living room during a couple of days when it's really bad. Strangely not all the units are like this, the unit one floor above me seems perfect. No noise from water pipe and slight humming sound from compressor which is very tolerable.

I'm very frustrated because I just can't believe there is no solution. So I turn to this forum and hope you guys can at least shed some light on what is going on.

Thanks.

Phil

I think its rather strange that a unit on the floor below can be heard or affects the sound inside your apartment. Your AC unit and the one below your are"connected" by common supply and return water risers, which are usually concealed at the back of your cabinet. Maybe your hearing some kind of pipe expansion in the risers or if the piping pentrations where not fire sealed properly, your hearing noise from your neighbor below.

The good thing about these units is that the compressor "chasis" can be removed and inspected outside of the cabinet. Check with your condo maintenance deptartment, most have spare chasis that they keep on hand for service. Maybe a "new" chasis will sound better...good luck

[QUOTE=xymxy;6964752] rubber pads to jack up the unit a little bit.

QUOTE]

Did he put the pads on just the corners or under the whole unit??

Our supplier told us to make sure its under the whole unit or it makes the unit into a "drum"
    5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions

Phil,

Were you able to stop the clicking sound? if so how?

I have the same issue - on and off tapping even when the unit is off. Had a maintenance guy look at it, had no idea what the noise was cuased by - tried replacing the board but that did not help.

Any sugestions?

Thanks,
    JDW

Quote Originally Posted by xymxy View Post
    Hi,

Thanks.

Phil