Cooling Cycles Per Hour

Hello,

I have been searching the web for days for an affordable consumer grade DIY thermostat that allows the user to program the Cooling CPH.
    I think I would actually prefer a thermostat that allows you to set Cooling Differential temps. Like if you have the temp setting at 70F....the ac would kick on when the temp hit 71 and ran until the temp hit 69.
    If you had a differential setting to 1F.
    But I would settle for one that allows 2 cycles per hour cooling.
    In the summer (mid 90'sF) it takes 20 minutes for my indoor temperature
    to raise 1F. However, my current thermostat cycles 10 min on and 10 min off. So to me that means I am cycling twice as much as i need to. I tested this by letting the ac run its regular cycle and then turned the a/c to OFF to see how long it would take to raise 1F. It took 20 minutes. I then turned the AC back on and it dropped the temp by 1F and shut off in 10 minutes. So i think that is a pretty solid test. I have searched this forum and found a recommendation of TH5110D1006 is supposed to have the 2cph capability.
    I see it on the specs for it, but I searched all over for the Setup Function codes and none of them say Cooling Cycles per Hour. There is only one for Heat Cycles Per Hour. Will this setting apply to the AC cooling cph as well?
    Any suggestions on thermostats that meet my criteria above?
    Either differential of CPH methods.

BTW I also called Honeywell tech support twice and was informed that none of their regular consumer thermostats have the ability to customize Cooling CPH. I was told only the TH8000 models can do this and that they are not sold directly to consumers.

Thank you!
    B

1. Several different models of Honeywell thermostats can do CPH. Other brands can too.
    2. The info you got from Honeywell tech support was incorrect.
    3. An email address in your profile might help here.
    Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do

Sorry wasnt aware my email wasnt showing... it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by bkg73123 View Post
    Hello,

I have been searching the web for days for an affordable consumer grade DIY thermostat that allows the user to program the Cooling CPH.
    I think I would actually prefer a thermostat that allows you to set Cooling Differential temps. Like if you have the temp setting at 70F....the ac would kick on when the temp hit 71 and ran until the temp hit 69.
    If you had a differential setting to 1F.
    But I would settle for one that allows 2 cycles per hour cooling.
    In the summer (mid 90'sF) it takes 20 minutes for my indoor temperature
    to raise 1F. However, my current thermostat cycles 10 min on and 10 min off. So to me that means I am cycling twice as much as i need to. I tested this by letting the ac run its regular cycle and then turned the a/c to OFF to see how long it would take to raise 1F. It took 20 minutes. I then turned the AC back on and it dropped the temp by 1F and shut off in 10 minutes. So i think that is a pretty solid test. I have searched this forum and found a recommendation of TH5110D1006 is supposed to have the 2cph capability.
    I see it on the specs for it, but I searched all over for the Setup Function codes and none of them say Cooling Cycles per Hour. There is only one for Heat Cycles Per Hour. Will this setting apply to the AC cooling cph as well?
    Any suggestions on thermostats that meet my criteria above?
    Either differential of CPH methods.

BTW I also called Honeywell tech support twice and was informed that none of their regular consumer thermostats have the ability to customize Cooling CPH. I was told only the TH8000 models can do this and that they are not sold directly to consumers.

Thank you!
    B

Are you in Oklahoma City? Are summer temps typically topping out in the mid 90's. If so and your system is only running for ten minutes under those conditions then the unit is significantly oversized. Under design conditions the system should be running non-stop or nearly so. Is indoor humidity high?

It takes a system at least ten minutes to reach operating efficiency. Thus, just as your system reaches that point it stops. It is always operating at sub optimal efficiency.

From what you describe it sounds like it is set for 3 CPH, which is common.

Austin texas. I have placed foil sheet insulation on my windows on the back of my house. The back faces West. It works really well.
    Its high 90's outside and it only get 85F in the house with no ac running all day. It takes about 2-2.5 hours to cool down to 76F after sundown.
    One issue I have noticed with the sheet insulation on the windows is at night if it was colder outside than 76F(76F is what we set it to at night) it used to drop the inside temp past 76F. Now it traps all the heat in and the AC runs all night cooling to 76. Even when it is 73F outside.
    So I gonna have to firgure something out there. I dont think it is oversized.
    New contruction and cheap builder.
    Humidity has been a little high lately..I think the last I really looked it was 40%.

Thanks,
    B