+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trane RTAC suction butterfly valve

Post Likes

Trane RTAC suction butterfly valve

We have found many of these leaking...dumping the entire charge. All on RTAC units and all on units less than 3 years old. Mostly finding them leaking thru the stem but twice found leaking at flange. I heard from a Trane guy about putting washers on the flange bolts because they found on some the bolts were bottomed out. But finding several leaking thru stem is raising an eyebrow. Anyone else finding this or know of a service bulletin?

Post Likes
    2 of our 6 newer RTAC's have had this problem and trane had to come out and fix them in warranty.

Post Likes
    Yes there is a problem and that's about as much as you'll get out of me. Maybe some of the others will be more forthcoming.

Post Likes

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mallron View Post
    Yes there is a problem and that's about as much as you'll get out of me. Maybe some of the others will be more forthcoming.
    well, by the lack of response I can tell it must be "hush hush" confidential service bulletin.

its cool. i get it.

thanks )

Post Likes
    Funny, I have never found a leak there.

Post Likes

RTAC

I have replace "many" butterfly valves!

Post Likes
    I've never had to replace any so far, and haven't seen any leaks at the stem either.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    I have heard many techs say to check B.F. valves first if you are low and every time I done it was in vane, all the leaks i've seen on rtac's were on threads on u name it 1/4" plugs, reliefs, and press. tranducers. I hope they've changed they're thread sealant and stopped Sally from having to tighten all of them. lol

Post Likes
    i have had a few. yes check the bolts for bottoming out. stem leaks...yes they leak... sometimes....sometimes they don't

Post Likes
    They went to a new setup now they are using a cap with an o-ring over the valve stem to prevent leaks

Post Likes
    Never had a leak at the butterfly but have changed many factory charging valves (on the barrel close to BF) in our environment these steel valves fall apart in 3 years I now change them with parts from the hardware store Mhose X 3/8fpt and a 3/8 service valve from the supply house/

Post Likes
    Floridaactecdj do you have any pictures of this valve in stainless steal from hardware store ?

Post Likes
    I have found two in the last week. One was on the stem and the other was around the flange. Both units were 2008 models.

Post Likes

its on there

i found the (general service bulletin) on the Step by Step repair of what you are looking for, It is on the Comfortsite., good bulletin
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Post Likes
    I have enever had this problem down under but from a logically point of view, if the bolts are to long, replace them or add washers, if from the seals, run the compressor at full load and while doing this move the valve. Being any oil enriched system oil may enter the seals providing the seal required or just replace the valve.

Post Likes
    Just changed a valve on a 2010 machine. Leaking from the stem, this is the first one our of 4 that gave any probelems. The cap worked out nice

Post Likes
    just worked on a RTAC chiller about a month ago. Found circuit completely flat on charge. All 225# gone. Found it leaking around the entire flange. I heard from someone I know from Trane that they are having a lot of problems with this. It will come out on a service bulletin soon. Makes me wonder if the Poloyl oil is eating it up

Post Likes
    I have had to replace the butterfly assembly due to a leak. http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=986651

Post Likes
    I got on this site today with the intention of asking about this very subject. Found a stem leaking today, wondering what the repair would be , replace the valve or repack the stem if possible. Thats a tough thing to have to tell the customer after making the repair that you have to add 175# of gas!! This chiller is approx 2008 vintage.
    I caught wind of the problem with the flange bolts last year, thats what I expected to find when I saw the "low evap. temp. diagnostic. Nope, it was the stem.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in