Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane RTAC suction butterfly valve

We have found many of these leaking...dumping the entire charge. All on RTAC units and all on units less than 3 years old. Mostly finding them leaking thru the stem but twice found leaking at flange. I heard from a Trane guy about putting washers on the flange bolts because they found on some the bolts were bottomed out. But finding several leaking thru stem is raising an eyebrow. Anyone else finding this or know of a service bulletin?

2 of our 6 newer RTAC's have had this problem and trane had to come out and fix them in warranty.

Yes there is a problem and that's about as much as you'll get out of me. Maybe some of the others will be more forthcoming.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mallron View Post
    Yes there is a problem and that's about as much as you'll get out of me. Maybe some of the others will be more forthcoming.
    well, by the lack of response I can tell it must be "hush hush" confidential service bulletin.

its cool. i get it.

thanks )

Funny, I have never found a leak there.

RTAC

I have replace "many" butterfly valves!

I've never had to replace any so far, and haven't seen any leaks at the stem either.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

I have heard many techs say to check B.F. valves first if you are low and every time I done it was in vane, all the leaks i've seen on rtac's were on threads on u name it 1/4" plugs, reliefs, and press. tranducers. I hope they've changed they're thread sealant and stopped Sally from having to tighten all of them. lol

i have had a few. yes check the bolts for bottoming out. stem leaks...yes they leak... sometimes....sometimes they don't

They went to a new setup now they are using a cap with an o-ring over the valve stem to prevent leaks

Never had a leak at the butterfly but have changed many factory charging valves (on the barrel close to BF) in our environment these steel valves fall apart in 3 years I now change them with parts from the hardware store Mhose X 3/8fpt and a 3/8 service valve from the supply house/

Floridaactecdj do you have any pictures of this valve in stainless steal from hardware store ?

I have found two in the last week. One was on the stem and the other was around the flange. Both units were 2008 models.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast